or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 176

post #2626 of 4017
Speaking of double click. I hate having to close out apps that way.
post #2627 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Let me guess -- you want a 'back' button.

What's funny about this is the current versions of Android got rid of the hardware "back button." Why? It was never a good idea and is handled better through software via the touchscreen. Apple's had the right idea here all along, that hardware buttons like this can be limiting. Software allows for higher levels of configuration and customization.
post #2628 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Speaking of double click. I hate having to close out apps that way.


WebOS had the single most intuitive multi-tasking system ever created for a mobile device. It's too bad that they failed so miserably in the market.
post #2629 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

What's funny about this is the current versions of Android got rid of the hardware "back button." Why? It was never a good idea and is handled better through software via the touchscreen. Apple's had the right idea here all along, that hardware buttons like this can be limiting. Software allows for higher levels of configuration and customization.

what what?

They got rid of the search button that used to be one of the standard 4 buttons (and TBH, I only use a long press on search to activate voice functions...I never search with it)

There is still home, back and a third button...I think there is some disagreement about the third button. The galaxy S3 has the menu button (which I agree with) but I think some phones switched to a "recent apps" button which seems stupid since I am pretty sure you can get the same effect with a long press on home.
post #2630 of 4017
They are virtual touch screen buttons now and not hardware, correct? It was one of the changes with ICS and is part of the Galaxy Nexus hardware design. My understanding is these virtual buttons can be configured if desired by a developer. Is that incorrect?
post #2631 of 4017
No, I'm pretty sure the spec still calls for 3 "buttons".

The buttons on most of the phones are capacitive touch buttons (although the S3 uses a clicky button for the home screen). They are under the glass but they are not a part of the screen.

They have always been configurable (at least on a rooted phone) for the user, but the backlit icons are fixed as back/home/menu/search.

0.jpg
post #2632 of 4017
Also, I do like how the recent builds of Android handle multitasking far more then iOS does. Wasn't a big fan of Android 2.1 (sorry Pio!), but ICS and Jelly Bean do some things really nicely. They took notes from Web OS and ran with them. smile.gif
post #2633 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Speaking of double click. I hate having to close out apps that way.

Yes. And why no "close all"?
post #2634 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

No, I'm pretty sure the spec still calls for 3 "buttons".
The buttons on most of the phones are capacitive touch buttons (although the S3 uses a clicky button for the home screen). They are under the glass but they are not a part of the screen.

They have always been configurable (at least on a rooted phone) for the user, but the backlit icons are fixed as back/home/menu/search.
0.jpg


I had read that the area containing the buttons were part of the main screen itself, just OS coded to be persistent buttons in that area. In that regard they could be theoretically changed via coding. If that's not the case, then I stand corrected.
post #2635 of 4017
Awful lot of non-Piob related griping going on in here today. Is it contagious?
post #2636 of 4017
^They never are, at least not on my HTC Desire HD.
post #2637 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Awful lot of non-Piob related griping going on in here today. Is it contagious?

One of the fanbois just needs to come in here and tell me to fuck off and call me a geriatric again and all will be well. Because, you know, these computer thingies are brand new to me and hard to figure out. I mean, it's not like I was running linux boxes before some of the fanbois nuts dropped or something.
post #2638 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

One of the fanbois just needs to come in here and tell me to fuck off and call me a geriatric again and all will be well. Because, you know, these computer thingies are brand new to me and hard to figure out. I mean, it's not like I was running linux boxes before some of the fanbois nuts dropped or something.

You should let them know that when you were their age, you used to have to walk to school 10 miles in the snow. Both ways. That'll shut em up. Bunch of new age pussies.
post #2639 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

One of the fanbois just needs to come in here and tell me to fuck off and call me a geriatric again and all will be well. Because, you know, these computer thingies are brand new to me and hard to figure out. I mean, it's not like I was running linux boxes before some of the fanbois nuts dropped or something.

You should let them know that when you were their age, you used to have to walk to school 10 miles in the snow. Both ways. That'll shut em up. Bunch of new age pussies.

Actually, it was uphill both ways. In the snow. While drinking whisky from the bottle.
post #2640 of 4017
Speaking of which, if somebody was really drunk and you drink their blood will you get drunk too?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home