or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 169

post #2521 of 4017
Had the phone five days now, no case, no scuffs. I do not treat my phones roughly however I do not go out of my way to baby them either.

That little tiny rattle is a bit annoying but not annoying enough for me to do anything about it. Yet.
post #2522 of 4017
I hear something clicking around in mine as well. I figured it was part of the motion sensor? No?
post #2523 of 4017
Best thing to do is never put your phone in the same pocket as your keys and any coins. That's just asking for scratches.
post #2524 of 4017
Anyone who does that deserves to get their phone scratched.

I see a lot of women who just throw their phones in their bags with all of their other crap. Idiots. There is almost no better street porn than seeing the impression of the iPhone in the back pocket of some tight skinny jeans. inlove.gif
post #2525 of 4017
for most people insurance is silly.

They wouldn't be selling it if they weren't making a profit on it, which means that the chance of an average person needing a replacement is less than the premiums + replacement fees that they pay. Unless you know you are someone who frequently breaks phones, you are far better off self-insuring your phone.

Insurance is for things where you would be totally fucked if they occured...Hit someone with your car and end up in a million dollar liability suit...get some rare disease and need hundreds of tests and expensive drugs...have your 75% of net worth house burn to the ground. In those situations it is perfectly to pay more for premiums than your expected loss because the worst case scenarios could leave you fucked.

Worst case scenario here is you are out a few hundred bucks for another phone on ebay.
post #2526 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

for most people insurance is silly.
They wouldn't be selling it if they weren't making a profit on it, which means that the chance of an average person needing a replacement is less than the premiums + replacement fees that they pay. Unless you know you are someone who frequently breaks phones, you are far better off self-insuring your phone.
Insurance is for things where you would be totally fucked if they occured...Hit someone with your car and end up in a million dollar liability suit...get some rare disease and need hundreds of tests and expensive drugs...have your 75% of net worth house burn to the ground. In those situations it is perfectly to pay more for premiums than your expected loss because the worst case scenarios could leave you fucked.
Worst case scenario here is you are out a few hundred bucks for another phone on ebay.

Insurance was $99 and if I break it twice over two years I can get a new one for $49. Retail my 64GB phone costs $849. I find this totally reasonable.
post #2527 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Insurance was $99 and if I break it twice over two years I can get a new one for $49. Retail my 64GB phone costs $849. I find this totally reasonable.

+1. On this thing, with these retail prices, NOT getting the insurance is stupid. The ability to walk in and walk out with a new phone the same day is unparallelled.
post #2528 of 4017
If your company pays for it why not get it?
post #2529 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Insurance was $99 and if I break it twice over two years I can get a new one for $49. Retail my 64GB phone costs $849. I find this totally reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

+1. On this thing, with these retail prices, NOT getting the insurance is stupid. The ability to walk in and walk out with a new phone the same day is unparallelled.


$99 + $49 = $148

I just explained how Apple will replace your phone, with the same model for $125, warranty/insurance or not. I have experience with this and it works at any Apple store. So unless you are planning on breaking your iPhone more then once over the two years, wouldn't you be better off without it?

I'm honestly curious here as I have considered Apple Care Plus before, but looking at it right now the numbers don't seem to add up.
post #2530 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

That means it wont do shit if you drop it.

I don't drop phones so it's not a concern of mine. It's more to prevent every day scuffing of the aluminum backing to preserve resale value.
post #2531 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

$99 + $49 = $148
I just explained how Apple will replace your phone for $125, warranty/insurance or not. So unless you are planning on breaking your iPhone more then once over the two years, wouldn't you be better off without it?
I'm honestly curious here as I have considered Apple Care Plus before, but looking at it right now the numbers don't seem to add up.

Eh? But, I can break mine twice! I can also scuff it on purpose after the buttons stop working properly and get a new one after a year or so. Basically I will make sure I break mine myself at least once to get a fresh one.
post #2532 of 4017
BTW, they will replace your iPad too. When I took my phone in a guy had a broken iPad with him. Apparently it was the 2nd time he had to do this. His children kept breaking them. The guy had no insurance. I forget the exact amount it cost for him to replace it, but believe it was between $200 and $250.
post #2533 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Eh? But, I can break mine twice! I can also scuff it on purpose after the buttons stop working properly and get a new one after a year or so. Basically I will make sure I break mine myself at least once to get a fresh one.

Do you really think you are likely to break your iPhone more then once over two years? Not trying to give your push back here, but be honest. I had the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 over four years and only broke one of them once. The iPhone 4 I mentioned with water damage.

I'm trying to see the plus side here. Seems like you might be better off putting that extra $99 into a saving account for a rainy day.

EDIT: Also, isn't breaking your phone on purpose midway through the contract, just to get a new one kind of a dick move?
post #2534 of 4017
BTW, I used tethering for the first time this past weekend. Worked awesome. I was surprised.
post #2535 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Do you really think you are likely to break your iPhone more then once over two years? Not trying to give your push back here, but be honest. I had the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 over four years and only broke one of them once. The iPhone 4 I mentioned with water damage.
I'm trying to see the plus side here. Seems like you might be better off putting that extra $99 into a saving account for a rainy day.

Peace at mind. Plus, I might only break it once, but I can still go back and get a new one regardless even if I just want a fresh one. I like knowing that. My 4 the buttons started to crap out and such, it is nice knowing I can walk in and out with a new one for $49 bucks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home