or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 129

post #1921 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

This thread has gone down the shitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

as the hype dies people realize it's actually not anything new, just something new for iPhans that had garbage for a long while now catching up teacha.gif

That's all folks! The show is over, time to go home. See you all again next year in the iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 thread.
post #1922 of 4017
For folks that went from 4 to 5 (not 4s), this is actually a pretty significant upgrade. Today I said to Siri "call x in z city" and it called. And dictating sms and emails to text is pretty useful.

The more I use it, the more I am convinced its a pretty fantastic evolution.
post #1923 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

For folks that went from 4 to 5 (not 4s), this is actually a pretty significant upgrade. Today I said to Siri "call x in z city" and it called. And dictating sms and emails to text is pretty useful.
The more I use it, the more I am convinced its a pretty fantastic evolution.

siri voice recognition still sucks compared to google's. can't even give me directions home. 3 of us at work were trying to get it to understand and give us the correct responses and it was wrong almost every time. We weren't deliberately trying to trip it up either since one of us was the apple fanboy of the office and it all started when he started talking about how awesome siri was.

The one thing I DO like about siri is its use of wolfram alpha, which I absolutely love. But I can just use wolfram alpha because siri doesn't always use it. I asked it what a parametric equation was, and you'd think it would default to asking wolfram that type of question, but it just wanted to google it.
post #1924 of 4017
iPio asked his stylist for this cut

saqeje2y.jpg
post #1925 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

siri voice recognition still sucks compared to google's. can't even give me directions home. 3 of us at work were trying to get it to understand and give us the correct responses and it was wrong almost every time. We weren't deliberately trying to trip it up either since one of us was the apple fanboy of the office and it all started when he started talking about how awesome siri was.
The one thing I DO like about siri is its use of wolfram alpha, which I absolutely love. But I can just use wolfram alpha because siri doesn't always use it. I asked it what a parametric equation was, and you'd think it would default to asking wolfram that type of question, but it just wanted to google it.

Fair enough, but if you dont know shit about shit (me) then its pretty bad ass. It even knows my name.

Man... to be able to sit in the car and dictate emails on the way home is a new paradigm for me.
post #1926 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Moneyball says they can be measured. smile.gif
Did I say they can't be measured? wink.gif
post #1927 of 4017
I have to agree that this is a significant upgrade over the 4. At least for me, Siri works quite well local things like movie times and so on the fly. I'm loving the video mirroring. It's incredibly fast. And personally I really like the form factor.

Maps is currently a deficit. However I think there would've been less blowback in the press if more people understood that the 3-D maps feature Is essentially a photorealistic reskinned 3-D model and not supposed to be as photorealistic as something like Google Street View the first place. Plus there are workarounds for both Google maps and street view for the time being.

What gets me is why people would think that turn by turn navigation is more important than transit times. There are app replacements for transit, and personally I find turn by turn very annoying.
post #1928 of 4017
I actually like turn by turn, sometimes I get distracted while driving and turn by turn saves the day.
post #1929 of 4017
I imagine that audible turn by turn directions would be very helpful on a motorcycle. But I haven't tried it. Currently, I have to (try to) memorize directions.
post #1930 of 4017
just ordered the 64gb black, upgrading from a 4S hope its not a mistake puzzled.gif
post #1931 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

All the talk agrees with this but my experience is different. I think the main thing is not charging on short cycles. The people I know who complain the most about battery life are charging their phone every opportunity trying to keep it fully charged.

Umm I'm pretty sure lithium ion batteries don't have "memory" issues or whatever.
post #1932 of 4017
^That was my understanding with new batteries. The old ones you needed to be careful about how you charged them, but that is now a thing of the past.
post #1933 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Moneyball says they can be measured. smile.gif
Did I say they can't be measured? wink.gif

Oh, and measured easily smile.gif

Have you watched that movie yet? If not, really worth it.
post #1934 of 4017
I have been wanting to watch the movie since it came out, we even rented the movie but I fell asleep.
post #1935 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

All the talk agrees with this but my experience is different. I think the main thing is not charging on short cycles. The people I know who complain the most about battery life are charging their phone every opportunity trying to keep it fully charged.

Umm I'm pretty sure lithium ion batteries don't have "memory" issues or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVarick View Post

^That was my understanding with new batteries. The old ones you needed to be careful about how you charged them, but that is now a thing of the past.

I agree, that's what everyone says. Did my routine on the first charge on this phone, took it off the charger 7AM last Monday and just checked the charge. Battery is at 31% on the beginning of the 5th day. Might have used the phone a bit less this week. Use the landline during the day more than the mobile. If I had to charge my phone everyday, it would drive me crazy so I keep doing this. Last phone was a 3S and it would hold a charge for an average of 4 days on each charge. YMMV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home