or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 - Page 110

post #1636 of 4017
Something seems to be awry with the battery life when it's in stand by mode, too.

I restored my phone from my old settings (iPhone 4 settings) so that's probably got something to do with it, but I had a phone at 98% battery life last night and when I woke up this morning, it was down to 57%.. so not sure what's happening.
post #1637 of 4017
So has anyone tried their new phone with headphones and the phones like to see if the mike doesn't cut off when you stick headphones in the plug? I would really like to know.

On another note certain idiotic sounding posters may sound idiotic because They're dictating their posts. For instance I am dictating this post now. The sentences become shorter, and the extra elocution just make sure your diction more douching I guess. Basically dictating your posts Mankiw read more like a douche. This may be Blarrade his problem.

But seriously I would really like to know if this new iPhone cuts them for Mike off when you plug in headphones that would be a bit of an annoyance for me.
post #1638 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

So has anyone tried their new phone with headphones and the phones like to see if the mike doesn't cut off when you stick headphones in the plug? I would really like to know.
On another note certain idiotic sounding posters may sound idiotic because They're dictating their posts. For instance I am dictating this post now. The sentences become shorter, and the extra elocution just make sure your diction more douching I guess. Basically dictating your posts Mankiw read more like a douche. This may be Blarrade his problem.
But seriously I would really like to know if this new iPhone cuts them for Mike off when you plug in headphones that would be a bit of an annoyance for me.

How stupid did you feel while you dictated this post?

I will never dictate anything because it feels so absurd.
post #1639 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

so my phone came without any scuffs which is nice but the power button is loose and you can hear and feel it clatter around when you set the phone down.

I anticipate apple getting a lot of exchange requests in the upcoming weeks. not gonna be pretty for apple :/


The obvious answer here is to take it back to the Apple store for an exchange. They will take care of you. You got a defective unit. It happens at any major hardware launch. Apple's QC is good, but cannot be perfect,

FWIW, this is the first I have heard of this particular problem.
post #1640 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous View Post

iCloud backs up iMessages, SMS, and MMS.
(http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766)

Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate the info, and the following is directed at Apple, not at you smile.gif.

This is what I fucking cannot stand about Apple. Seems like every time I want to do something, Apple won't let me do it the way I WANT to do it; I have to do it the "Apple way". I like having my text messages in gmail. I keep everything in gmail. I have gmail open on all my laptop/phone/etc at all times. I like the search options available in gmail. I don't want to use iCloud, whatever that is, because even if it works as well as gmail, that's still one more place I have to go to get information that was previously available to me in one spot.

The day I got my Android phone, I entered my gmail account info (one time), and everything worked. My email worked, my calendar worked, my contacts were imported, all my picasa galleries showed up as additional albums when I clicked the "gallery" app.

This is not to say there aren't things I dislike about Android (I am, after all, sitting here with a new iPhone). It's just that every time I have to interact with Apple I want to kill myself.
post #1641 of 4017
Confessions of a Fanboi. Didn't want to wait for the Best Buy preorder to arrive. Closest Apple store opened at 8, got there at 7:15. Employee came out of the store and we chatted for a while. Found out his uncle is a tailor in the next suburb and we talked about random things. Next person showed up 30 minutes later, about a dozen people in line at 8AM. Phone was fully functioning and set up in minutes. Whole thing, buying and setting up was about 20 minutes. Biggest pain is trying to think of what passwords I used setting things up a couple years ago. Couldn't even remember answers to security questions.
Upgrading from a 3S and this is lightyears beyond that phone. Super fast. The weight and size are perfect.
I don't get the appeal of the black phone. It looks void, like a black hole. Looks like a car with the windows tinted so dark you can't see thru them with black wheels and all the chrome blacked out. What looks good on the white is the back and sides are the same color and finish aluminum used on the laptops and iMacs.

Stuck around tor an iphone 5 workshop. Saw all the features operating, learned a few things.

Left at 10, hardly anyone in the store. You could walk in and get a phone immediately. I think this is a ripple effect once word hit the street that greenfrog sold his block of Apple stock.
I like the way apple handled waiting in line. They ask what phone and carrier you want and give you a card with the details, 16, white iphone 5, ATT.
Once you get the card you know they have the phone in stock and you will get your phone. If it's not in inventory there is no card and you won't have to wait to know if they have the phone you want. Easy peasy.

Reading the above post, I find Apple very easy to deal with by phone or in a store. Haven't had any really negative experiences and have been using their products since 1995.
post #1642 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate the info, and the following is directed at Apple, not at you smile.gif.

This is what I fucking cannot stand about Apple. Seems like every time I want to do something, Apple won't let me do it the way I WANT to do it; I have to do it the "Apple way". I like having my text messages in gmail. I keep everything in gmail. I have gmail open on all my laptop/phone/etc at all times. I like the search options available in gmail. I don't want to use iCloud, whatever that is, because even if it works as well as gmail, that's still one more place I have to go to get information that was previously available to me in one spot.

The day I got my Android phone, I entered my gmail account info (one time), and everything worked. My email worked, my calendar worked, my contacts were imported, all my picasa galleries showed up as additional albums when I clicked the "gallery" app.

This is not to say there aren't things I dislike about Android (I am, after all, sitting here with a new iPhone). It's just that every time I have to interact with Apple I want to kill myself.

Please don't take offense to this or think I am being combative, but I don't understand the logic you are using here. Android is a Google product. All those things you listed that "just worked" were also Google products. GMail, Google Cal, Google Contacts and Picasa are all owned by Google. The fact that you entered in your PW one time and it all worked on your Android handset was a product of you doing it the "Google Way." You wouldn't have the same seamless experience, out of the box, if you wanted to use all the same products from MS or Yahoo. How is this any different then an Apple mobile OS providing a seamless experience to someone with Apple's own products. The "Apple way" is equivalent to the "Google way" in your example above.

Also, it's fairly easy to use and sync GMail, Google Cal and Google Contacts to an iPhone. It might involve a few more steps, but it works. You won't get the Picasa experience out of the box, but as they say "there is an app for that." I'm fairly certain the Google Voice app for IOS will let you manage your text's too.

Now if we want to bring up the separate, but related topic of allowing 3rd party apps to be the default in your mobile OS I agree that it's something that Android has over iOS hands down. I have hope one day that Apple will open this function up. I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: The lackluster GMail iOS app is Google's own fault. If they fixed that, many a user would be overjoyed. smile.gif
post #1643 of 4017
To expand upon my point above, all these companies no matter how "open" or "closed" they may seem are pushing their own products. Apple wants users to use iCloud and iTunes. Google wants users to use GMail, Google Play and Google Drive. MS wants users to use their own products. The best experience with each of these companies' mobile OS is had by sticking with their ecosystems and products. That's fine. There is nothing wrong with this. It's smart business on the part of all of them.

A perfect example to this is Joshua Topolsky's excellent review of the iPhone 5. He gives high marks to the phone in many areas, but talks about how married he is to Google's own products. For him, as much as he likes the iPhone 5, it just makes more sense to stick with an Android handset for his main device.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363238/iphone-5-review

It's up to the user to decide what works best for their own needs.
post #1644 of 4017
Your point is more than fair. Honestly much of my frustration is just buildup from all the previous frustration I had when I tried the Macbook (which you may remember from our facebook convo, but no one else in the thread knows about, and it's not really relevant anyway). The whole attitude of the company and its followers just irritates me.

If Google would take Apple's approach, and release one phone a year without some manufacturer's bullshit software on top of the OS, and not make their phone the size of a small frisbee, that would be great.
post #1645 of 4017
Minutensprunguhr_animiert.gif
post #1646 of 4017
Something else I don't quite understand is why I have to enter a password almost every time I download an app. If it's a paid app, I understand...but why do I need to put in my password to download a free flashlight app?

I was going to bitch about the fact that in order to sync notes to iCloud, I have to set up an iCloud email address (I cannot think of any reason I would ever want or need an iCloud email address). But then I discovered that I can sync notes to gmail vial the mail app. So I give Apple credit for that.

Thanks for the link to that theverge.com review!
post #1647 of 4017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Minutensprunguhr_animiert.gif

Not a lot to say about this other then Apple fucked up and is going to have to pay licensing fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Something else I don't quite understand is why I have to enter a password almost every time I download an app. If it's a paid app, I understand...but why do I need to put in my password to download a free flashlight app?

I was going to bitch about the fact that in order to sync notes to iCloud, I have to set up an iCloud email address (I cannot think of any reason I would ever want or need an iCloud email address). But then I discovered that I can sync notes to gmail vial the mail app. So I give Apple credit for that.

Thanks for the link to that theverge.com review!


I find the PW thing annoying too. It could be a default as a parental control thing so children don't download naughty free apps, but there has to be a better way of doing it.

The only thing I don't like about using GMail in the default Mail app is search. Doesn't work well at all. If I was more organized and used labels often, I would probably hate that too. We really need an improved iOS GMail app. SPARROW was going to be the Holy Grail of this, but they got bought by Google and are no longer developing their apps. frown.gif
post #1648 of 4017
post #1649 of 4017
hahahaha i laughed heartily to that vid laugh.gif
post #1650 of 4017
I'm babying my iPhone atm, hoping it will reside soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home