or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Quote:


What do you mean?  If you're referring to the n(n) comment, Noir is basically a remix of Luster, n(n) s/s '07 is like a Westernized version of DH s/s '05... there's a few more, and there isn't anything wrong with that.  If you mean the Ann comparison, I can't really back that up as well they just evoke similar things for me.

Idolizing Hedi-Era DH without ever having any, and just seeing photos. Saying Raf is pathetic, saying you just want Raf to make baller sneakers again, saying you'd like DH stuff that KVA does if it didn't have the label DH, etc. etc.
post #152 of 1125
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post

 

No. There are many other designers he can be interested in and hate the big houses still. Think of all the girls you know who are the opposite of that.


I was always surprised KJ loves Hedi-era DH so much because I just don't see him fitting into it. I imagine him in one of those suits I just see the sleeves ripping and the buttons shooting off the jacket machine gun style. All the shows were wicked tall, wicked skinny guys and that's the image I always see


 

Yeah that's fine but complaining about fashion discussion in a thread about it is still stupid.  And are you calling me fat? frown.gif

 

I think most of you guys look at slimane's stuff and see super-slim and that's it.  What I like about it is mostly about the details and the styling.  There's some accessories and shoes I'd buy on ebay if I saw, but as far as actual clothing, there's a few jackets but otherwise I can't think of much else.  Well, and jeans.

 

edit:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post


Idolizing Hedi-Era DH without ever having any, and just seeing photos. 

 

see above


Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post


saying you just want Raf to make baller sneakers again

 

I used the sarcasm meter!  And as far as him being pathetic I retracted that since I forgot about womenswear, though his menswear is pretty disappointing lately.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post


Saying you'd like DH stuff that KVA does if it didn't have the label DH, etc. etc.


I think if you're working within a big house like that you've got to keep the vibe of the house, he hasn't really done that.

post #153 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post

All the shows were wicked tall, wicked skinny guys and that's the image I always see

Same here. And that's definitely not me, hah. Probably part of the reason I didn't feel attracted to it.
post #154 of 1125
i think hedi said there wasnt any room for muscles in fashion laugh.gif
certainly for his stuff

...anyways we shouldnt pick on KJ because he doesnt fit into the aesthetic he enjoys. i wouldnt get a job at any runway shows, maybe yohji biggrin.gif
post #155 of 1125
on multiple occasions SAs at Barneys and Bergdorf have ask me if I only wear Japanese labels / suggested I only should (because I'm small and weird looking) frown.gif
post #156 of 1125
but you do only wear obscure japanese labels foo.gif
post #157 of 1125
KJ It just seems like Hedi DH is the end all be all for you and nothing else will ever compare. How long have you been following fashion and designers? I only ask cause when I first got into fashion, I heard all about Hedi DH and used to love love it but then it lost a lot of its luster (heh) as you realize its just another, albeit influential, phase in mens fashion.

In terms of RAF being "pathetic" if Hedi Slimane has a few bad seasons of Mens at YSL will he then be a "pathetic" designer? I don't follow your logic.
post #158 of 1125
my taste has changed so much in the past few years
post #159 of 1125
Thread Starter 

That's not really the case at all, I actually think you're getting that vibe because we've been talking about Dior Homme for like two pages.  I like DH, but like I said I don't own any or even really look for it.  Regarding Raf, I worded that poorly and way too harshly (though I think he's a weird fit), and as for KVA, I guess I thought I wasn't alone in thinking his stuff from Dior was boring but apparently that's not the case.

 

But if you think DH is, just in objective terms, selling nearly as well or being talked about as much as it was five years ago...

 

Christian Dior was famous for total excess.  Yards of expensive fabrics for no reason other than to be extravagant at a time when everything was being rationed (WWII), etc.  Raf is like the opposite of that.  So is KVA, kinda. They're weird choices.

 

But anyways I'm not opposed to changing my mind, I like discussing/talking about this stuff.

post #160 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanxl View Post

but you do only wear obscure japanese labels foo.gif

they fit me well redface.gif
post #161 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

That's not really the case at all, I actually think you're getting that vibe because we've been talking about Dior Homme for like two pages.  I like DH, but like I said I don't own any or even really look for it.  Regarding Raf, I worded that poorly and way too harshly (though I think he's a weird fit), and as for KVA, I guess I thought I wasn't alone in thinking his stuff from Dior was boring but apparently that's not the case.

But if you think DH is, just in objective terms, selling nearly as well or being talked about as much as it was five years ago...

Christian Dior was famous for total excess.  Yards of expensive fabrics for no reason other than to be extravagant at a time when everything was being rationed (WWII), etc.  Raf is like the opposite of that.  So is KVA, kinda. They're weird choices.

But anyways I'm not opposed to changing my mind, I like discussing/talking about this stuff.

Its not that you think its boring, thats fine. Its that you wouldn't think it was boring if it simply had a different label. THAT is whats perplexing to me.
post #162 of 1125
^because you're small and weird? haha. you make it sound like you're a hobgoblin or Rumplestiltskin or something. you still have those Marni pants? those were awesome, and not even Japanese
post #163 of 1125
Actually, on the idea of using less incestuous designers, we can talk about Kenzo.

I'm interested to see how it goes and if there will be a revival of it under the hands of Humberto and Carol.

It's hard to really tell of it's "of the moment" because it's so obviously and closely influenced by the Opening Ceremony collections, which already have their own place. I mean OC has been phenomenally successful and lots of places carry their product, but it's still a limited audience and you'll notice most of it eventually goes on deep discount because there are very few "must have" pieces at the prices they try.

I wonder how Dior would fare at a still prominent but slightly less known designer. Juun J?
post #164 of 1125
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bows1 View Post


Its not that you think its boring, thats fine. Its that you wouldn't think it was boring if it simply had a different label. THAT is whats perplexing to me.


No, not quite it.  I said a bit ago (or I think I said??) that it's kinda boring but I'd wear a lot of it if you gave it to me or it was 90% off on yoox or something.  But, the reason I think he isn't doing a good job is because it's not at all 'Christian Dior' - for the upper echelon price range that the stuff is in, and the heritage that the house has, the clothing isn't a good fit.  In a vacuum, I wouldn't dislike it at all, because it's unassuming and none of it is really ugly, but it's also not inspiring or exciting and the 'must-have' items have been few and far between.  Does that make sense?  I totally understand that designers that can do that sort of thing are few and far between, though.

post #165 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck View Post

^because you're small and weird? haha. you make it sound like you're a hobgoblin or Rumplestiltskin or something. you still have those Marni pants? those were awesome, and not even Japanese

hahaha no I'm very proportional, but I like things a little boxy and with arms that are too short for me. So Japanese sizing works well for that. and yeah I wore those Marni trousers last night out to dinner, with a lim sweater. Wearing +J and Thom Browne now. It's really only the memorable pieces I have that are Japanese and everything else is largely American or European mid-market (APC, Baron Wells, OL, TB, Acne)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread