or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 388

post #5806 of 6250
He definitely traded up.
post #5807 of 6250
turns out this Zimmerman guy might be a bad apple.
post #5808 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

He definitely traded up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

turns out this Zimmerman guy might be a bad apple.

Vote often and vote early in the linked poll

Zimmerman In 5 Years
Free Man
Inmate #25704
VOTE

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/18/george-zimmerman-arrested-domestic-violence/#ixzz2l29a3mzK
post #5809 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

turns out this Zimmerman guy might be a bad apple.

I think many of us have been saying that since he first splashed onto the national psyche. Right, Lasbar?
post #5810 of 6250
His character was irrelevant to a trial. A bad person can still be attacked, fear for his life, and have a legal right to defend himself. Just like a slutty woman can still be raped.
post #5811 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

His character was irrelevant to a trial. A bad person can still be attacked, fear for his life, and have a legal right to defend himself. Just like a slutty woman can still be raped.

It may not have been one of the ultimate issues, but it wasn't irrelevant as a practical matter. The jurors needed to choose between competing versions of events. What they came to believe about the characters of the individuals involved would necessarily color that analysis.
post #5812 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

He definitely traded up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

turns out this Zimmerman guy might be a bad apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

It may not have been one of the ultimate issues, but it wasn't irrelevant as a practical matter. The jurors needed to choose between competing versions of events. What they came to believe about the characters of the individuals involved would necessarily color that analysis.

Serious question ( yeah, really serious )

You are a lawyer. Wouldn't you say that more or certainly as much negative information was not allowed about Trayvon as for Zimmerman?

Zimmerman could have been painted as an angry troublemaker as well as a cop wannabe. As I recall. his previous anger management experiences and stuff like these recent events were not allowed. But surely Trayvon could have been portrayed as a troubled gang banger wannabe, but that was not allowed.

IMO, the Judge was pro-prosecution and the prosecution got a better shake than the defense in the court's decisions to withhold stuff from the jury.

Do you disagree? Ataturk and H_B please way in.
post #5813 of 6250
At least one tabloid is saying the girlfriend is pregnant already. Who would have thought there were Zimmerman groupies?

And I don't want to always just reflexively defend Zimmerman, but you have to wonder about the mental stability of such women.
post #5814 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



Serious question ( yeah, really serious )

You are a lawyer. Wouldn't you say that more or certainly as much negative information was not allowed about Trayvon as for Zimmerman?

Zimmerman could have been painted as an angry troublemaker as well as a cop wannabe. As I recall. his previous anger management experiences and stuff like these recent events were not allowed. But surely Trayvon could have been portrayed as a troubled gang banger wannabe, but that was not allowed.

IMO, the Judge was pro-prosecution and the prosecution got a better shake than the defense in the court's decisions to withhold stuff from the jury.

Do you disagree? Ataturk and H_B please way in.

rnoldh, I'm afraid I really have no basis for answering that specific question. I watched almost none of the trial. What little I know I learned here, partly from harvey's and ataturk's very detailed and helpful posts. I was just taking issue with b-cycle's categorical statement that Zimmerman's character was irrelevant. I am certain that both Zimmerman's character and Martin's -- or at least their perceived characters as presented during the trial -- were important to the jury.
post #5815 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



Serious question ( yeah, really serious )

You are a lawyer. Wouldn't you say that more or certainly as much negative information was not allowed about Trayvon as for Zimmerman?

Zimmerman could have been painted as an angry troublemaker as well as a cop wannabe. As I recall. his previous anger management experiences and stuff like these recent events were not allowed. But surely Trayvon could have been portrayed as a troubled gang banger wannabe, but that was not allowed.

IMO, the Judge was pro-prosecution and the prosecution got a better shake than the defense in the court's decisions to withhold stuff from the jury.

Do you disagree? Ataturk and H_B please way in.

The character stuff wasn't admitted as character evidence per se, but because it was supposedly relevant to credibility or some other issue. LIke the fact that Z went to an "MMA" gym was relevant because someone described Martin as pounding Zimmerman "MMA style," and he could have been mistaken about who was on top. And Zimmerman's criminal justice education was relevant because he'd said in an interview that he wasn't familiar with Florida's "stand your ground law." The prosecution was allowed to argue the wannabe cop stuff on the theory that it provided evidence of Zimmerman's motive.

These rulings were, frankly, dubious, but were all arguably within the judge's discretion. But, again, the judge wasn't so one-sided in her discretionary rulings. She excluded the prosecution's hack voice experts and allowed the defense to introduce evidence of Martin's drug use. The defense didn't really push too hard to get Martin's dirty character stuff in -- or at least, they recognized that the judge wouldn't allow it and planned their strategy accordingly. The proof was so overwhelmingly in favor of the defense that they were able to get Zimmerman acquitted while leaving St. Skittles's character unmolested.

I say all this with the caveat that I didn't follow the trial that closely.
post #5816 of 6250
Press conference. Said something about getting a search warrant for weapons. Missed the first part of it.

Edit: victim not pregnant. Separation argument. Still missed the other details.

Edit 2: Holding victim at gunpoint.

Shotgun.

Said the cops didn't see Zimmerman armed. No resistance. Broken table. No injuries or marks on the victim. And they cut the feed in the middle of the conference... WTH?

So I take it the allegation is that he held his girlfriend at gunpoint. No corroboration. He said, she said domestic.
post #5817 of 6250
He's going to either walk or take a plea to a misdemeanor. Liberal tears will flow once again.
post #5818 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

He's going to either walk or take a plea to a misdemeanor. Liberal tears will flow once again.

You only say that due to your racism. Lasbar will tell you what's what.
post #5819 of 6250
To Crane and the Lawyers out there.

Do any of you know if Z would be able to keep his CCW if he is convicted of a non-minor misdemeanor.
post #5820 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

To Crane and the Lawyers out there.

Do any of you know if Z would be able to keep his CCW if he is convicted of a non-minor misdemeanor.

Well a violent misdemeanor makes you ineligible for 3 years, so I would assume it would be revoked for three years if he was convicted or took a deferral.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon