or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 274

post #4096 of 6250
Threatening to rape a white woman. How nice. I wonder if the idiot who wrote that realizes that the white lady can kill him and so can anyone else for that matter if he's caught in the act?

Stupid is as stupid does. Next.
post #4097 of 6250
"What a ridiculous right wing myth that we would riot!"
post #4098 of 6250
MSNBC poll on the verdict,

Thank you for voting!
Yes 50.44% (5,007 votes)


No 49.56% (4,920 votes)



Total Votes: 9,927



http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/07/13/do-you-agree-with-the-jurys-verdict-in-the-george-zimmerman-trial/

Even a majority there agree the verdict was correct!
post #4099 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post


Does that mean that the Martin's wrongful death lawsuit against Zimmerman is now null and void?
 

 

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=NB&Date=19980415&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=304159997&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80

 

 

Any other questions?

post #4100 of 6250
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/from-the-archives-ben-crump-that-police-report-is-a-fabrication/

Flashback: Martins' attorney claims police conspiracy.

You really have to watch the video. I can't figure out how to embed it, but watch it...
post #4101 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post


Someone asked whether or not Zimmerman is immune from a civil lawsuit. That would depend entirely on whether or not FLA has that written in their self defense law. In my neck of the woods if the self defense case falls under our castle doctrine the answer is yes. Outside of the castle doctrine laws the answer is no though it's unlikely to prevail in Missouri if one is filed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

bilde?Site=NB&Date=19980415&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=304159997&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80


Any other questions?

Was OJ acting in self defense when he was found not guilty in the criminal trial?

Crane's knows Ms castle doctrine Law. Neither he nor I know Fl. castle doctrine. Do you ( or anyone )?

Do you accept that if Florida's castle doctrine prevents a civil suit after a case of self defense, there will be no civil case?

PS:Here is someone that knows a bit about Florida's castle doctrine law,

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/legal-concerns/castle-doctrine-and-stand-your-ground-laws/

I would wager that Z does not lose any civil suit.
Edited by rnoldh - 7/14/13 at 8:43am
post #4102 of 6250
"776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)."

He can still be prosecuted federally. But T's parents already got a million dollar payday from the HOA in exchange for their dead son.
post #4103 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

"776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)."

He can still be prosecuted federally. But T's parents already got a million dollar payday from the HOA in exchange for their dead son.

Don't forget the books HB.

I already owe you a few. Wanna double down? I say there are at least two books coming out that will contribute to the T parents kitty. You wanna bet against that?
post #4104 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

But you don't have to prove damages with complete certainty, do you? I know in my state at least you can get a jury instruction that says the fact that a plaintiff can't prove damages exactly doesn't mean he's not entitled to them.
Also to Ataturk's point here. Generally, one does have to prove an amount of damages that is non-speculative, but it doesn't have to be to a mathematical certainty. The jury (or court) can make a reasonable approximation. But beyond that, in many jurisdictions even if you cannot prove a specific amount of damages with the requisite amount of reasonableness, it is still possible to receive an award of nominal damages (say, $1) and then also obtain punitive damages (if they otherwise are appropriate). Caveat: as a result of tort reform legislation and other factors, I think there is even more disparate treatment of punitive damages among the different states than is the case with other issues.
post #4105 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post



Was OJ acting in self defense when he was found not guilty in the criminal trial?

Crane's knows Ms castle doctrine Law. Neither he nor I know Fl. castle doctrine. Do you ( or anyone )?

Do you accept that if Florida's castle doctrine prevents a civil suit after a case of self defense, there will be no civil case?

PS:Here is someone that knows a bit about Florida's castle doctrine law,

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/legal-concerns/castle-doctrine-and-stand-your-ground-laws/

I would wager that Z does not lose any civil suit.

 

 

OJ supposedly wasn't even there

 

While the Castle doctrine has been bandied about by pundits, it was never used by the defense and has no bearing on this case

post #4106 of 6250


Pio, looks like you have a like mind in the NFL.

post #4107 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post


OJ supposedly wasn't even there

While the Castle doctrine has been bandied about by pundits, it was never used by the defense and has no bearing on this case

K, T's parents might get the justice that Goldman's parents got. We shall see.

BTW: Did you read the link I provided?
post #4108 of 6250
If I'm reading what Harvey posted right FLA says you're immune from civil action. It looks like it's a blanket statement with no regard to where it happens.
post #4109 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's View Post

If I'm reading what Harvey posted right FLA says you're immune from civil action. It looks like it's a blanket statement with no regard to where it happens.

Of course you are correct.

But you are an odd one. You followed the case, you have a lot of knowledge about self defense, and you seemed to always try to be objective.

Very odd for this case.
post #4110 of 6250
I am still most surprised that this came back yesterday and he was cleared of all charges. I think that was the correct verdict but really was not expecting it. We still should not forget Zimmerman did kill Martin and it was most certainly an avoidable event triggered by Zimmerman's decisions. This whole fiasco has only racially polarized the willing fools (both sides) more and convinced willing fools there is no place for them in US society. I think the damage this circus has created is hard to fathom...and Chicago has had how many black male teenagers murdered in the last month?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon