or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 246

post #3676 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

To be fair, douchey neighborhood watch types that make it their personal mission to right the wrongs of their neighborhood have given me way more trouble than any 17-year old black kid.

When will we finally acknowledge the epidemic of neighborhood watcher on neighborhood watcher crime in America?
post #3677 of 6250
There's no way this case can be retried. If the jury pool wasn't completely fucked before, it is now. A mistrial is a win for Zimmerman at this point.

Not his last day in court, though. He's got a civil suit coming, along with a bankruptcy and a divorce in his near future.
post #3678 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

Let us not forget that it takes only one juror to hang the jury.

I think this is a likely outcome.

The question then is, do they retry him, for what, and how much longer a media circus can be continued.

My first work in private practice was for a gentleman who once asked me "What is the best possible outcome from a criminal defense attorney's perspective?"

I naively answered, "Acquittal."

"Incorrect," he said, "the best possible outcome is a hung jury. Because then you get to charge your client a second time without actually having to do the trial prep over again."

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

There's no way this case can be retried. If the jury pool wasn't completely fucked before, it is now. A mistrial is a win for Zimmerman at this point.

Not his last day in court, though. He's got a civil suit coming, along with a bankruptcy and a divorce in his near future.

Blood from a bag of rocks, as they say.
post #3679 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

There's no way this case can be retried. If the jury pool wasn't completely fucked before, it is now. A mistrial is a win for Zimmerman at this point.

Not his last day in court, though. He's got a civil suit coming, along with a bankruptcy and a divorce in his near future.

I have to think that at least one juror will judge this case on the evidence and absolutely not convict on this "evidence".

You are knowledgeable about this stuff but wouldn't you say this is a special case?

If the State even considers not retrying the case, I predict the PC and race baiting crowd will force a retrial in some way or another.

And failing that we have the possibility of Federal charges.

I think this one is too much of a hot potato to let Z "win" if there is a mistrial.
post #3680 of 6250
Closing arguments are a snooze fest.


T.V. and movies lie!
post #3681 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post

Closing arguments are a snooze fest.


T.V. and movies lie!

De la Boring is not particularly charismatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

I have to think that at least one juror will judge this case on the evidence and absolutely not convict on this "evidence".

You are knowledgeable about this stuff but wouldn't you say this is a special case?

If the State even considers not retrying the case, I predict the PC and race baiting crowd will force a retrial in some way or another.

And failing that we have the possibility of Federal charges.

I think this one is too much of a hot potato to let Z "win" if there is a mistrial.

The Feds have said they won't prosecute. Doesn't mean they can't, but that's what they've said.

If there's a riot they will not retry (because of the possibility of another riot). Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it another go. Whether it sustains the same level of nonsense interest it has the first time around is a different question.
post #3682 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

I have to think that at least one juror will judge this case on the evidence and absolutely not convict on this "evidence".

You are knowledgeable about this stuff but wouldn't you say this is a special case?

If the State even considers not retrying the case, I predict the PC and race baiting crowd will force a retrial in some way or another.

And failing that we have the possibility of Federal charges.

I think this one is too much of a hot potato to let Z "win" if there is a mistrial.

Well maybe I'm a starry eyed idealist on this, but I think that at some point Zimmerman's right to a fair trial is going to trump the demands of the lynch mob.
post #3683 of 6250
The Prosecutor is asking a lot of questions. "Where is the blood?" That's a bad sign. Prosecutors are supposed to have the answers, Defense Counsel is the one who's supposed to be asking the questions and poking holes in the state's case. So either De la Rionda is trying to switch the game and hopes the jury puts the burden on Z or he's throwing this case like I've suggested before.

His closing is insufferable.
post #3684 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

T So either De la Rionda is trying to switch the game and hopes the jury puts the burden on Z or he's throwing this case like I've suggested before.

Or maybe somewhere in between? Not actually trying to throw the case, but realizing that they're likely to lose and caring more about creating a public perception that it's an ambiguous case that could go either way than about focusing exclusively on the jurors?
post #3685 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

The Prosecutor is asking a lot of questions. "Where is the blood?" That's a bad sign. Prosecutors are supposed to have the answers, Defense Counsel is the one who's supposed to be asking the questions and poking holes in the state's case. So either De la Rionda is trying to switch the game and hopes the jury puts the burden on Z or he's throwing this case like I've suggested before.

His closing is insufferable.

This seems to be what the lynch mob is saying too. There are a lot of "unanswered questions" and "you can't prove that X and Y didn't happen".
post #3686 of 6250
"I don't know, you decide!"

OJFC
post #3687 of 6250
post #3688 of 6250
West to Nelson:
Quote:
Oh my God," he told Nelson. "Just when I thought this case couldn't get any more bizarre, the state is seeking third-degree murder based on child abuse.
post #3689 of 6250
Prosecution wrapped. Judge is going to let the Defense start tomorrow morning.
post #3690 of 6250
Quote:
Why hasn't the prosecution team used Florida law to argue strongly for Martin's right of self-defense, his right to stand his ground against a stalker? Why not turn the tables on Zimmerman's exclusive claim to that argument?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/opinion/francis-zimmerman-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon