or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 215

post #3211 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

So they've stricken 75 veniremen for cause?

Is the judge's burden for disqualification so low that only liars can get on this jury? The judge has decided to weed the venire down to 30? How can she do that?

Somebody explain this to me.

They've got 200 more waiting in the wings who haven't been questioned yet.
post #3212 of 6250
Still, the judge decided ahead of time to weed that jury pool down to 30? Is she using a flexible standard for disqualification? Is she purporting to pick the 30 least biased people based on their questionnaires?

I know judges have a lot of discretion in voir dire but this sounds really arbitrary to me.
post #3213 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Still, the judge decided ahead of time to weed that jury pool down to 30? Is she using a flexible standard for disqualification? Is she purporting to pick the 30 least biased people based on their questionnaires?

I know judges have a lot of discretion in voir dire but this sounds really arbitrary to me.

I believe the 70 that were immediately disqualified were because of answers they gave on the written questionnaires. I don't know anything more particular than that, and I don't believe anybody's released anything to the media about it.

The Judge just ruled that the jurors will be sequestered for up to a month.
post #3214 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Still, the judge decided ahead of time to weed that jury pool down to 30? Is she using a flexible standard for disqualification? Is she purporting to pick the 30 least biased people based on their questionnaires?

I know judges have a lot of discretion in voir dire but this sounds really arbitrary to me.

I believe the 70 that were immediately disqualified were because of answers they gave on the written questionnaires. I don't know anything more particular than that, and I don't believe anybody's released anything to the media about it.

The Judge just ruled that the jurors will be sequestered for up to a month.

If they weren't prequalified for length of trial and potential sequestration, I can see a huge chunk of the venire going away quickly. And if the questionnaire gives away what case they are potential jurors for, I can see people engineering their answers to get out of it.
post #3215 of 6250
Reading what people are saying about the 30 "survivors" as they're voir dired suggests the questionaire wasn't worth much.
post #3216 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotmetro View Post

If they weren't prequalified for length of trial and potential sequestration, I can see a huge chunk of the venire going away quickly. And if the questionnaire gives away what case they are potential jurors for, I can see people engineering their answers to get out of it.

Some might want to get on the jury.

Think book contract LOL
post #3217 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotmetro View Post

If they weren't prequalified for length of trial and potential sequestration, I can see a huge chunk of the venire going away quickly. And if the questionnaire gives away what case they are potential jurors for, I can see people engineering their answers to get out of it.

Some might want to get on the jury.

Think book contract LOL

I'm sure there are people like that. I was just speculating on how the judge was able to get rid of so many jurors so quickly.
post #3218 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I believe the 70 that were immediately disqualified were because of answers they gave on the written questionnaires. I don't know anything more particular than that, and I don't believe anybody's released anything to the media about it.

The Judge just ruled that the jurors will be sequestered for up to a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotmetro View Post

If they weren't prequalified for length of trial and potential sequestration, I can see a huge chunk of the venire going away quickly. And if the questionnaire gives away what case they are potential jurors for, I can see people engineering their answers to get out of it.

Exactly who in the hell can afford to be sequestered for a month for a trial on the pittance you get for jury duty?

Other than unemployed people, I guess.
post #3219 of 6250
The unemployed and retired people.

I don't know what they pay in FLA but around here it's $12 a day. And you have to pay for your own parking and lunch. They do provide breakfast in the form of a dozen donuts for 14 jurors (2alternates) and a bucket of piss water coffee. And then it's either Pizza Hut or Chinese Food for dinner. They also generally keep them housed at the Comfort Inn which has bedbugs according to the Yelp reviews.
post #3220 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Exactly who in the hell can afford to be sequestered for a month for a trial on the pittance you get for jury duty?

Other than unemployed people, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

The unemployed and retired people.

I don't know what they pay in FLA but around here it's $12 a day. And you have to pay for your own parking and lunch. They do provide breakfast in the form of a dozen donuts for 14 jurors (2alternates) and a bucket of piss water coffee. And then it's either Pizza Hut or Chinese Food for dinner. They also generally keep them housed at the Comfort Inn which has bedbugs according to the Yelp reviews.

My employer, and I think many other large corporations will actually pay you while on jury duty.

When you are sequestered are you barred internet/tv access?
post #3221 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


My employer, and I think many other large corporations will actually pay you while on jury duty.

When you are sequestered are you barred internet/tv access?

Employers who pay for jury duty are fast disappearing.

And generally yes, you are cut off from the world. Most jurisdictions make some arrangements for limited contact with family members via phone or occasional personal visits, but that contact is often monitored. I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that allows conjugal visitation during sequestration.
post #3222 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotmetro View Post

If they weren't prequalified for length of trial and potential sequestration, I can see a huge chunk of the venire going away quickly. And if the questionnaire gives away what case they are potential jurors for, I can see people engineering their answers to get out of it.

But a shitload of them are going to engineer their answers to get ON the jury and have a chance of being on tv.
post #3223 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Employers who pay for jury duty are fast disappearing.

And generally yes, you are cut off from the world. Most jurisdictions make some arrangements for limited contact with family members via phone or occasional personal visits, but that contact is often monitored. I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that allows conjugal visitation during sequestration.

Bump that noise.
post #3224 of 6250
Live feed of jury selection

http://www.wftv.com/s/watchlive/
post #3225 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Employers who pay for jury duty are fast disappearing.

And generally yes, you are cut off from the world. Most jurisdictions make some arrangements for limited contact with family members via phone or occasional personal visits, but that contact is often monitored. I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that allows conjugal visitation during sequestration.

Is an irrational fear of being sequestered a reason to get excused from the jury?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon