or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 214

post #3196 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

What do our forum mouthpieces think the racial and gender make up of the jury will be?
Quote:
according to the 2011 census, Seminole County is composed of 65.8 percent non-Hispanic whites, 17.7 percent Hispanic, and just 11.7 percent African-Americans.
post #3197 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post


Per the above a Jury reflecting the community would have one or none African Americans.

I will bet you a beer ( no with you, make that 5 ) that there are at least two African Americans on the Jury.

They don't want to make the PC police mad or get Al and Jesse back to soon.
post #3198 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

Per the above a Jury reflecting the community would have one or none African Americans.

I will bet you a beer ( no with you, make that 5 ) that there are at least two African Americans on the Jury.

They don't want to make the PC police mad or get Al and Jesse back to soon.

I'll take that bet. I bet they keep it all white, with maybe a white-hispanic thrown in.
post #3199 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I'll take that bet. I bet they keep it all white, with maybe a white-hispanic thrown in.

I think they have to have at least one black on the jury. If it's all white (or a CNN-Hispanic (SWIDT?)) and he's acquitted there will be riots.
post #3200 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think they have to have at least one black on the jury. If it's all white (or a CNN-Hispanic (SWIDT?)) and he's acquitted there will be riots.

Riots aren't a concern of the Defense Attorneys.

And frankly, by bringing a case they can't win in the first place it's clear the Prosecution doesn't care if there's a riot either.
post #3201 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Riots aren't a concern of the Defense Attorneys.

And frankly, by bringing a case they can't win in the first place it's clear the Prosecution doesn't care if there's a riot either.

What do you define as a "win" though? Can the jury come back with a lesser charge like manslaughter? I think that would stop riots but I think if Z walks free we have cities burning.
post #3202 of 6250
The defense is allowed a certain number of peremptory strikes, but the prosecutor can object to them if they are used as a pretext to exclude members of one race from the jury (just like the defense can if the prosecutor does). But there has to be evidence of discrimination in order to sustain the objection -- i.e., a pattern. With a small jury and a small number of blacks in the jury pool, it's going to be hard to show that pattern before Z just gets away with it.

It's also a problem in popular racial cause celebre cases that black people end up getting stricken for cause disproportionately. Not that they shouldn't be in that case.

If the jury pool really is only 1/8 black I can definitely see Zimmerman getting a jury without any black members.
post #3203 of 6250
BTW if you're interested in the case, Talkleft.com seems to have very good coverage.

Ironically they seem to be very pro-Zimmerman. Then again, I don't see how you wouldn't be if you were following the case closely. Since they can dismiss you from the jury for that, maybe that's actually a disadvantage for Zimmerman...
post #3204 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

What do you define as a "win" though? Can the jury come back with a lesser charge like manslaughter? I think that would stop riots but I think if Z walks free we have cities burning.

I think I discussed that here a hundred or so posts back. The jury can't do that on their own, the Prosecutor or Defense has to make a motion to request that it be done. The judge may be able to do it sua sponte but I doubt that would happen.
post #3205 of 6250
5 out of the 30 jurors who survived the first round of voir dire are black.
post #3206 of 6250
Z and the State get 11 peremptory challenges each and they need ten jurors counting alternates. So I take it they need to bring in more people.
post #3207 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

I'll take that bet. I bet they keep it all white, with maybe a white-hispanic thrown in.

And I will take your bet.

Remember, it took a "special prosecutor" and somewhat of a "special judge" to get things to this point.

This case is about much more than T and Z. Now if an all white jury convicted Z, then it is hard to see riots happening. But I doubt that will happen.

Also, Pio keeps asking, can Z be convicted of a lessor charge? In this specific case and with this specific charge of course.

Do any of you lawyers know if this can happen given Florida's laws and this specific case and the charges. Will the Judges final juror instructions and the final negotiations between the defense and prosecution determine if a lessor verdict is possible. Or is this a case of conviction on the original charge or he walks?
post #3208 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

5 out of the 30 jurors who survived the first round of voir dire are black.

That is approx 16% and the population is approx 11%. So a 50% bias.

And if the defense doesn't challenge the potential black jurors they are crazy.

As HB points out, the defense's job is not political correctness or being fair, it is to win an acquittal ( even if the SOB "might" be guilty ).
post #3209 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Z and the State get 11 peremptory challenges each and they need ten jurors counting alternates. So I take it they need to bring in more people.

Or maybe not. I have no idea.
post #3210 of 6250
So they've stricken 75 veniremen for cause?

Is the judge's burden for disqualification so low that only liars can get on this jury? The judge has decided to weed the venire down to 30? How can she do that?

Somebody explain this to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon