or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 183

post #2731 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Nice little circular argument you have going there.

The media's coverage of this case evidences their bias. That is not a circular argument. What do you think a circular argument is, anyway?
post #2732 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post

Yep. The legal system's handling of this case has been awful, the media has made an ass out of itself with its bias, and many Americans are rushing to judgment along tribal/racial lines.
It's looking like Zimmerman can't legally be convicted, but there will be riots if that actually happens. What a mess.

Yeah. This case is most likely going to be the poster child for kangaroo court proceedings.
post #2733 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

The media's coverage of this case evidences their bias. That is not a circular argument. What do you think a circular argument is, anyway?

There are some studies out there on just how "biased" the media is. It was based upon numbers of stories, their positive or negative slant etc. Most came out pretty near the center. IIRC NPR news was like smack dab in the middle.

Taken as a whole, journalists tend to lean left, while editors and publishers are center or right. At the top, of course, the overlapping directorship of media with the industries of banking, finance, non news entertainment, etc means you pretty much have to accuse all of them of the same left slant. The more likely scenario is that the slant they all share is leaning towards raw capitalism, left or right.

The other possibility is, as they said so eloquently in the Onion, "reality has a strong liberal bias".

Edit: and as for your argument, the primary fallacy is insufficient sample size, and since you do go on to promote your conclusion based upon a single sample, yes it does become a circular argument.
Edited by Cacatfish - 7/18/12 at 8:57am
post #2734 of 6250
post #2735 of 6250
Looks like that crazy old man turned an armed robbery into a potentially dangerous situation.
post #2736 of 6250
Absolutely insane, with all these people around. It's a miracle no one died or got seriously wounded.
post #2737 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Seems like a good spot for this link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/18/florida-customer-shoots-suspects-during-internet-cafe-robbery/

Reason #8882 why Florida is #1
post #2738 of 6250
Who robs an internet cafe? They're full of people that can't afford computers. Not exactly a worthwhile endeavor....
post #2739 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

Who robs an internet cafe? They're full of people that can't afford computers. Not exactly a worthwhile endeavor....

nod[1].gif
post #2740 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

Who robs an internet cafe? They're full of people that can't afford computers. Not exactly a worthwhile endeavor....

Apparently in Florida, they're state-regulated, do lots of lottery business, and are known to be high-cash businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Absolutely insane, with all these people around. It's a miracle no one died or got seriously wounded.

I would like to buy that gentleman a beer. Someone should set up a Paypal account or something.
post #2741 of 6250
Wait, self defense, gun, CCW debates aside, etc... do you actually think it's a good idea to run around a place full of people shooting a gun repeatedly ? confused.gif
post #2742 of 6250
210

Interesting edit from the Boston Herald.
post #2743 of 6250
Well, they were correct to edit it. 16 y-o is not a child.
post #2744 of 6250
Thread Starter 
Greg as anti civilian gun use as I am, with an armed robbery you never know what's going to happen and the old man saw an opportunity to successfully intervien and did so.
post #2745 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Wait, self defense, gun, CCW debates aside, etc... do you actually think it's a good idea to run around a place full of people shooting a gun repeatedly ? confused.gif

From what I saw in the video, that guy's proficiency with a firearm is pretty poor so I wouldn't be terribly thrilled about him doing that. In general, though, I am happy to see private citizens employ firearms in resistance of violent crime.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon