or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

killing Trayvon - Page 106

post #1576 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post

Trayvon's mother on Today's Show:
Quote:
“I believe it was an accident,’’ Fulton said. “I believe that it just got out of control, and he couldn’t turn the clock back.’’

she also appeared with Rev. Al. Kinda hard to go past the general sympathy for a mother who just lost her son...
post #1577 of 6250
If she thinks it was an accident, why does she want him prosecuted for murder?
post #1578 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Was listening to CNN this morning and Soledad, god bless her heart, talked about the "police" telling him to "stand down." Whoever she was interviewing (could not see as was listening on radio) corrected her and said she needs to stop saying a 911 dispatcher is a police officer. laugh.gif

And the police also didn't say that. There was no command from the dispatcher to stand down. It was simply suggested that he didn't have to follow the guy. "You don't have to do that" is not a command.
post #1579 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

guilty

You're probably better off for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post

Trayvon's mother on Today's Show:
Quote:
“I believe it was an accident,’’ Fulton said. “I believe that it just got out of control, and he couldn’t turn the clock back.’’

Man, that's got to be a tough thing for her to say. I wonder if she's trying to forgive him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

If she thinks it was an accident, why does she want him prosecuted for murder?

I thought the same thing. I wonder if she means "accident" in the sense that Z didn't look for a kid to kill, but he instigated a situation that got away from him and made a poor decision, rather than "oops, my gun went off." If that's the case, it seems like murder two would be an appropriate charge for her to want.
post #1580 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post

And the police also didn't say that. There was no command from the dispatcher to stand down. It was simply suggested that he didn't have to follow the guy. "You don't have to do that" is not a command.

Not to mention that the police can't just give binding orders to civilians that aren't under arrest anyway. But I guess these are all just technicalities.
post #1581 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

If she thinks it was an accident, why does she want him prosecuted for murder?

She's a lay person and probably does not have command of more indepth legal concepts.
post #1582 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Not to mention that the police can't just give binding orders to civilians that aren't under arrest anyway. But I guess these are all just technicalities.

Stop being stupid, lawyer.
post #1583 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post

Trayvon's mother on Today's Show:
Quote:
“I believe it was an accident,’’ Fulton said. “I believe that it just got out of control, and he couldn’t turn the clock back.’’

Ok, I'm an asshole and I always see the worst in people, so take that as it is. It is possible she's saying that to set up for a civil lawsuit against the community.

It goes like this. Z may have been acting as an agent for the community. It doesn't matter if he was "on duty" or was an official member of the neighbourhood watch. But if he did these things with the knowledge and/or permission of the community then an agency relationship could be established.

Why does that matter? Well because Z doesn't have a pot to piss in. The big fish in this lawsuit is the community and their insurance policy.

Ok, so why does it matter if it was an accident? Well because if Z did this thing intentionally then the insurance policy probably would not cover an intentional tort by an agent (which murder certainly is). If however it were an accident then the community could be sued under a negligence theory and the insurance company would be on the hook.

I have no knowledge of the specifics of the community insurance policy, the relationship between Z and the community, the intentions of this woman, or the likelihood of such a suit being successful. I merely point it out as a possibility because anyone sitting next to Al Sharpton is immediately suspect because as I've demonstrated without opposition, Al Sharpton is an asshole.
post #1584 of 6250
IMO you are 100% correct Harvey. You sue the entity with the money.
post #1585 of 6250
HB, would a criminal conviction of murder not negate this?
post #1586 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Ok, I'm an asshole and I always see the worst in people, so take that as it is. It is possible she's saying that to set up for a civil lawsuit against the community.
It goes like this. Z may have been acting as an agent for the community. It doesn't matter if he was "on duty" or was an official member of the neighbourhood watch. But if he did these things with the knowledge and/or permission of the community then an agency relationship could be established.
Why does that matter? Well because Z doesn't have a pot to piss in. The big fish in this lawsuit is the community and their insurance policy.
Ok, so why does it matter if it was an accident? Well because if Z did this thing intentionally then the insurance policy probably would not cover an intentional tort by an agent (which murder certainly is). If however it were an accident then the community could be sued under a negligence theory and the insurance company would be on the hook.
I have no knowledge of the specifics of the community insurance policy, the relationship between Z and the community, the intentions of this woman, or the likelihood of such a suit being successful. I merely point it out as a possibility because anyone sitting next to Al Sharpton is immediately suspect because as I've demonstrated without opposition, Al Sharpton is an asshole.

So you and Rev Al are related?
post #1587 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

HB, would a criminal conviction of murder not negate this?

Not necessarily. I don't know in Florida but in many jurisdictions civil and criminal are completely separate and what happens in one court has no effect on what happens in the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

So you and Rev Al are related?

He's my brother from another mother.
post #1588 of 6250
Gotcha wink.gif
post #1589 of 6250
Hopefully there's a Homowner's Association involved in all of this and they get sued.
post #1590 of 6250
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Ok, I'm an asshole and I always see the worst in people, so take that as it is. It is possible she's saying that to set up for a civil lawsuit against the community.
It goes like this. Z may have been acting as an agent for the community. It doesn't matter if he was "on duty" or was an official member of the neighbourhood watch. But if he did these things with the knowledge and/or permission of the community then an agency relationship could be established.
Why does that matter? Well because Z doesn't have a pot to piss in. The big fish in this lawsuit is the community and their insurance policy.
Ok, so why does it matter if it was an accident? Well because if Z did this thing intentionally then the insurance policy probably would not cover an intentional tort by an agent (which murder certainly is). If however it were an accident then the community could be sued under a negligence theory and the insurance company would be on the hook.
I have no knowledge of the specifics of the community insurance policy, the relationship between Z and the community, the intentions of this woman, or the likelihood of such a suit being successful. I merely point it out as a possibility because anyone sitting next to Al Sharpton is immediately suspect because as I've demonstrated without opposition, Al Sharpton is an asshole.

Lucidly surmised.

You must not be drunk all the time. Unless alcohol gives you your bright moments.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › killing Trayvon