or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Men Season 5 - Page 46

post #676 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post

I've never had faith in a creative team like I have in this one. Each season has been better than the last...that's not just according to me, but to Metacritic. Unlike Mad Men, I've never felt BB has wavered in its story quality.
That being said, they now have a clean slate, story-wise. They can go in any direction they want. Since they have carte blanche, I have no doubt they've very carefully weighed all options and gone with something that won't just be "more of the same but bigger."
Every season -- EVERY one -- a number of people have predicted that the show would falter, not for any reason known to them, but they just couldn't conceive of the producers' sustained creativity. They've been wrong every time. Therefore, I see no reason to declare the patient dead until the heart actually falters.

There is exactly one time the show ever let me down, and that was the finale of season 2. Especially since the penultimate episode was so great. Other than that, though, I agree that it's been a consistent upward trend. I suppose that I could see people complain that the show became increasingly detached from reality, but that's part of what I like about it. Season 4 was like a fever dream.
post #677 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

There is exactly one time the show ever let me down, and that was the finale of season 2. Especially since the penultimate episode was so great. Other than that, though, I agree that it's been a consistent upward trend. I suppose that I could see people complain that the show became increasingly detached from reality, but that's part of what I like about it. Season 4 was like a fever dream.

I wasn't let down by that episode, but I take your point. In fact, one might -- might -- be able to make the same argument about season 3, as the penultimate episode is what I like to call the "HOLY SHIT!!!" episode. But I did like both.
post #678 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post

I wasn't let down by that episode, but I take your point. In fact, one might -- might -- be able to make the same argument about season 3, as the penultimate episode is what I like to call the "HOLY SHIT!!!" episode. But I did like both.

I just thought the symbolism was a bit overwrought.
post #679 of 702
YO YO YO! The Breaking Bad discussion above needs to move over to the BB thread.
post #680 of 702
You mean the one that I started?
post #681 of 702
I wouldn't know because I'm so behind on that series that I've never visited it. But my point was that I can't avoid the discussion if you have it in the Mad Men thread.
post #682 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

^^^
Agree. The thing is, Walter White has never been a Don Draper/Vito Corleone alpha male. He's a deeply frustrated, weak, henpecked beta that is obsessed with willing himself to being an alpha. That makes him an infinitely more interesting character. He succeeds at times and fails at others. So far, it's all been pretty realistic. It helps that the acting and writing are fantastic.

 

Bang on. I went from being mildy interesting in MM to hating it due to the shitty writing and ridiculous characterization. 

 

BB on the other hand has never failed to deliver.

 

For those who don't remember this is the opening scene:

 

 

lefty

post #683 of 702
So I'm working my way through season 4, is there a reason why Walter won't grow his hair back?
post #684 of 702
Seriously, guys. Can you move the Breaking Bad discussion to that thread?
post #685 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Seriously, guys. Can you move the Breaking Bad discussion to that thread?

Especially since I just started watching the show on Netflix and don't want spoilers being thrown around in a thread about Mad Men.
post #686 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Seriously, guys. Can you move the Breaking Bad discussion to that thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhoff View Post

Especially since I just started watching the show on Netflix and don't want spoilers being thrown around in a thread about Mad Men.

In Citizen Kane, Rosebud is the name of his sled! In Murder on the Orient Express, everyone did it! And Darth Vader is Luke's father!

(Props to anybody who knows what show this is from without looking it up.)
post #687 of 702

By the way, whatever happened to that Dow Chemical thing?

post #688 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugotes View Post

By the way, whatever happened to that Dow Chemical thing?

they planted a seed for next season that was unresolved at the end.
post #689 of 702

Ok, I thought I missed something. The excitement for next season is getting even bigger!

post #690 of 702
I FINALLY watched the last two episodes last night. What a great season.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 5