or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Men Season 5 - Page 43

post #631 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Personally, I don't think Don is an alpha male at all.

Why do you think this?
post #632 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Personally, I don't think Don is an alpha male at all.

Maybe he isn't in reality, but everyone else thinks is he, which results in pretty much the same outcomes.


Although, I don't think anyone who isn't an alpha could finger-bang a woman into submission in a hallway.
post #633 of 702
Don is definitely an alpha male. How could anyone question that?
post #634 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Don is definitely an alpha male. How could anyone question that?

Well, there's the whole fact that he's play acting his life. Maybe "the real Dick Whitman" is some flaccid nerd, but he's put on this PUA-style alpha persona as Don Draper.


I don't really buy that, but it's a theory I guess.
post #635 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Well, there's the whole fact that he's play acting his life. Maybe "the real Dick Whitman" is some flaccid nerd, but he's put on this PUA-style alpha persona as Don Draper.
I don't really buy that, but it's a theory I guess.

 

If it truly did begin as an act, then surely the fact that he's carried it on so successfully and so pervasively for all these years -- including in his private moments, where there's no audience for it -- suggests that he's achieved alphahood by now. It may have begun as a costume, but if the costume fits, then so be it.

 

There's no rational argument, one way or the other, against Don Draper's alpha status. He is as alpha a man as the show has to offer. That may be the entire point of his character, actually.

post #636 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Why do you think this?

Anytime he's put in a corner he panics or tries to intimidate.
post #637 of 702
LOL at people who don't think Don is alpha.
post #638 of 702
have to say - Peter has gotten hit in the face by 3 differnet people this year, and he was still willing to stand up and fight. he does show some balls, if no fighting skills.
post #639 of 702
Love the Nancy Sinatra James Bond reference.
post #640 of 702
Has everyone forgotten how weak and insecure Don is? He can't face his brother, he's terrified of another life, he's completely afraid of losing Meagan (he wept on his knees in front of her), he was visibly shaken when Peggy leaves...
post #641 of 702
An alpha isn't invincible, he is still human.
post #642 of 702
Crying like a bitch is beta. Always.

Speaking of betas... I will be staying at the Roosevelt Hotel in a few days.

A prize for the first person to say the connection with MM/RH.
post #643 of 702
'Tis where Peggy stayed.
post #644 of 702
That is where Don was staying after Betty kicked him out.
post #645 of 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Crying like a bitch is beta. Always.
Speaking of betas... I will be staying at the Roosevelt Hotel in a few days.
A prize for the first person to say the connection with MM/RH.

When his marriage w Betty was on the rocks and he was living out of a hotel room for a while.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Mad Men Season 5