or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people" - Page 4

post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post


"Dozens" of compliments in three wearings? Do you live somewhere most people don't own shoes? West Virginia maybe?

I lol-ed at this. He was clearly being unreasonable with the number of compliments, but still, I lol-ed.

post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

I am a younger guy (I'm 24 years old), and I just recently bought my first pair of AE's.  I bought the New Orleans in Walnut.  My wife wanted me to buy a brown pair of dress shoes to alternate with my black Ecco's.  When I saw these I instantly wanted them more than anything I've ever wanted in my entire life.  They are a stylish, young guy type of dress shoe.  They are dressy, but not boring, and they can be dressed down.  They are also a slimmer, sleeker fit than your typical AE shoe.

 

I do not wear dress shoes for work, only for weekly church meetings and the occasional special event.  If you want your friends to be jealous of a pair of your shoes, get these...

 

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to dig up this old thread?

 

Sweet handle by the way...

post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post


"Dozens" of compliments in three wearings? Do you live somewhere most people don't own shoes? West Virginia maybe?


No...  Maybe I just live in a place where people are more friendly than the people you spend time with, yourself included.

post #49 of 92

I don't know...  I was just wondering if there were other younger customers out there.  From the ages of the commentors I have seen on their website most of them are in their 40's or older.  I think AE has potential to really tap into the younger market, especially with their on-sale options.

 

you like my handle huh?  Why is that?  I chose it because I lived in Mongolia for a couple of years and am fluent in mongolian.  Mongolians pretty much worship chinngis khaan.
 

post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

I am a younger guy (I'm 24 years old), and I just recently bought my first pair of AE's.  I bought the New Orleans in Walnut.  My wife wanted me to buy a brown pair of dress shoes to alternate with my black Ecco's.  When I saw these I instantly wanted them more than anything I've ever wanted in my entire life.  They are a stylish, young guy type of dress shoe.  They are dressy, but not boring, and they can be dressed down.  They are also a slimmer, sleeker fit than your typical AE shoe.

I do not wear dress shoes for work, only for weekly church meetings and the occasional special event.  If you want your friends to be jealous of a pair of your shoes, get these...

I think it's really great to be excited about buying clothing, and this is in no way a personal indictment chinngiskhaan or Bexcellence, but this kind of attitude is so prevalent among young American guys – and its results are often questionable. Young guys are either wrapped up in #menswear or GQ and they see fashion shoots where men look sublimely excellent. If the guy at Pitti or in the spread walked into a room that chinngiskhaan or Bexcellence were in they'd immediately pay attention because damn, #swag #wealth, etc.

In an attempt to replicate that level of aesthetic attention-grabbing, they look for clothing that attracts attention. chinngiskhaan even goes as far as to lay it out explicitly that he likes these shoes because they give him the kind of attention he's looking for. A way to express his superlative sartorial comprehension and make sure others acknowledge it. But, instead of favoring something that looks good and will age well, it's about the amplitude of expression. "Doing this says I have personality because a boring person wouldn't wear shoes that look like they've made from part basket weave."

So, no – Allen Edmonds typically conservative dress shoes are not for young buyers because they're not loud enough. No one is going to compliment a pair of black Park Avenues because they go totally unnoticed. For someone looking to emulate the excitement and energy they're told clothing can be if only you dressed well enough, going unnoticed is a flaw.
post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

I am a younger guy (I'm 24 years old), and I just recently bought my first pair of AE's.  I bought the New Orleans in Walnut.  My wife wanted me to buy a brown pair of dress shoes to alternate with my black Ecco's.  When I saw these I instantly wanted them more than anything I've ever wanted in my entire life.  They are a stylish, young guy type of dress shoe.  They are dressy, but not boring, and they can be dressed down.  They are also a slimmer, sleeker fit than your typical AE shoe.

I guess that your wife is not yet aware of that fact. confused.gif
post #52 of 92

Eluther, that's a very good post. Admittedly, I'm young, and I don't mind being noticed for my clothes, but I long ago decided that clothes that stick out in and of themselves (that is, as individual items) aren't really for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted View Post


I guess that your wife is not yet aware of that fact. confused.gif


Are you implying he married an object? rimshot.gif

 

(I couldn't decide if this joke was funnier with a picture of a blowup doll or a Fleshlight, so I just left it out).

post #53 of 92

I am 37 and have just recently (last few years) found AE's to be desirable and have bought several pairs.   In my 20's and early 30's I mostly bought Kenneth Cole and Cole Haan, replacing them every year.    Suppose I'm getting to the age when I am starting to appreciate the value of buying high quality goods that last.  When I was fresh out of college I also bought cheap cookware, watches, etc....     Don't think I am going out on a limb to suggest that most 24 year old's may not have the expendable income or appreciation for a $300 pair of shoes that will last a decade or two.    Also, if a shoe is made to last a long time with proper care, it might be better to be a more classic design so it will stand the test of time.    

 

Bottom line is that I don't think the market for $300 shoes for early 20's men is that lucrative, especially outside of a few cities like NYC, etc..... 

post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

To a large degree, I agree with this, but those previously mentioned brands generally cost quite a bit more. That's where AE makes it's name.

Exactly. I'm not a huge fan of AE either, but it makes zero sense to compare them to C&J, EG, JL, and Cleverley. Those brands cost anywhere from 2 to 5 times more than a pair of AE.
post #55 of 92
I presume if OP means the style of beginner's GYW shoe, I disagree. I brought my first pair of Loake (similar to AE) before my A level, I was very happy with my purchase at that time. Also, these manufacturer does not only make staple shoes, things such as suede desert boots are well suited for the youth.
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluther View Post


I think it's really great to be excited about buying clothing, and this is in no way a personal indictment chinngiskhaan or Bexcellence, but this kind of attitude is so prevalent among young American guys – and its results are often questionable. Young guys are either wrapped up in #menswear or GQ and they see fashion shoots where men look sublimely excellent. If the guy at Pitti or in the spread walked into a room that chinngiskhaan or Bexcellence were in they'd immediately pay attention because damn, #swag #wealth, etc.

In an attempt to replicate that level of aesthetic attention-grabbing, they look for clothing that attracts attention. chinngiskhaan even goes as far as to lay it out explicitly that he likes these shoes because they give him the kind of attention he's looking for. A way to express his superlative sartorial comprehension and make sure others acknowledge it. But, instead of favoring something that looks good and will age well, it's about the amplitude of expression. "Doing this says I have personality because a boring person wouldn't wear shoes that look like they've made from part basket weave."

So, no – Allen Edmonds typically conservative dress shoes are not for young buyers because they're not loud enough. No one is going to compliment a pair of black Park Avenues because they go totally unnoticed. For someone looking to emulate the excitement and energy they're told clothing can be if only you dressed well enough, going unnoticed is a flaw.


Thats actually about as far away from an accurate statement as there could possibly be.  I don't look at menswear magazines, I don't care what today's fashions are.  I picked the shoes I picked because they are high quality for the price, and I believe they reflect my personality.  I like shoes...  what is so wrong about that?  Also, I did not "lay it out explicityly" that I like these shoes because I get complements for them.  All I said was that if you want your friends to be jealous of your shoes, buy these.  I like these shoes because they are exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't want a normal dress shoe, I wanted something that was not over the top, but still very unique, and the New Orleans fit that bill perfectly for me.  I bought them on sale for $249, and that is by far the most I have ever spent on a shoe of any kind.  I don't want to look anything like the guys in the magazines.  Heck, I don't even know what those guys would look like, or what they would be wearing if I did run into them in the restroom.  I don't "look for clothing that attracts attention."  I look for clothing that reflects my personality, that I feel comfortable and confident wearing.  I bought these shoes because if i'm going to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes, they had better be the ones that I like the most.  In this instance, the New Orleans from AE caught my eye.  That is why I bought them, not because of some pompous looking guy in a magazine.  I've already found the woman of my dreams, I don't need to impress anyone.

 

Thank you for taking the time to judge me and my motives without ever actually taking the time to get to know me first.  Isn't there something better for you to be doing than judging people based on one comment they have written in an internet forum????

post #57 of 92

I like Strands.

post #58 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted View Post


I guess that your wife is not yet aware of that fact. confused.gif

 

LOL...  Oh she knows I love my shoes, and she loves hers too.  We are both ok with the open relationship.

post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnslater View Post

I am 37 and have just recently (last few years) found AE's to be desirable and have bought several pairs.   In my 20's and early 30's I mostly bought Kenneth Cole and Cole Haan, replacing them every year.    Suppose I'm getting to the age when I am starting to appreciate the value of buying high quality goods that last.  When I was fresh out of college I also bought cheap cookware, watches, etc....     Don't think I am going out on a limb to suggest that most 24 year old's may not have the expendable income or appreciation for a $300 pair of shoes that will last a decade or two.    Also, if a shoe is made to last a long time with proper care, it might be better to be a more classic design so it will stand the test of time.    

 

Bottom line is that I don't think the market for $300 shoes for early 20's men is that lucrative, especially outside of a few cities like NYC, etc..... 


While you are correct that it probably isn't very lucrative, I believe that it certainly could be if us young guys would wisen up a bit.  My family does not have a lot of money, despite that we were taught from the time that we were young children to buy quality over quantity.  We did not have the most expensive clothes, but the clothes we bought were always good enough quality that they never wore out.  They also taught us the value of this with tools and cookware as well.  I certainly hope that some day guys in their 20's start to realize that buying for quality will save you money in the long run.  Very well thought out comment Dnslater!

post #60 of 92
This is beginning to run parallel to Mr. Sheep's diagram.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"