or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advise on Hermes mens wallet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advise on Hermes mens wallet - Page 11

post #151 of 171

What if you get robbed? I live in a city and like to travel, so generally don't like to carry expensive accessories (except my iPhone, which I ditch before going anywhere overseas). Anyone who has been jumped or robbed wouldn't consider buying a designer wallet.

 

-B

post #152 of 171
That's the exact reason why I tell my wife not to wear her engagement ring past 9 PM. We also replace our watches with simple Casios around the same time. And no evening clutches either, we have a canvas tote bag instead.
post #153 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

That's the exact reason why I tell my wife not to wear her engagement ring past 9 PM. We also replace our watches with simple Casios around the same time. And no evening clutches either, we have a canvas tote bag instead.

Really? I've never thought to be that protective in the city. We just make sure to have everything very well insured.
post #154 of 171
(no, not really)
post #155 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by themodestman View Post

I don't know...you can't lose a suit. But who hasn't lost a wallet? Buy some shoes. It's hard to lose those!

I have never lost a wallet. I have lost shoes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Who the f*ck came up with the rule that a wallet shouldn't be worth more than the money inside?
I never carry more than $50 in cash and see no reason to.

I had this conversation with some of the young ones at the store recently. I tried to explain it to them and pretty much left it at you'll understand when you get older.
post #156 of 171
Thread Starter 

LOL didnt know that this thread was still going on....
 

post #157 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in California View Post

Actually you mentioning that book brings up a good point, and I think a point of this thread that we haven't talked enough about yet. I believe Dana notes that there's really only two brands in the whole industry whose quality lives up the name and that you could rate a 5.0/5.0: Hermès and Chanel. Since he's already looking at Hermès we can assume OP's decided that he wants a great wallet and is willing to spend a good amount on it. I think this begs two questions:

  1. Is there another brand, at any price, that's quality is on par with Hermès that OP should seriously consider? (He's already said he does not live in an area where getting it custom is an option)
  2. If the Hermès wallet truly isn't worth the money, why not? (i.e. it's going to wear out in 5 year anyways, poor customer support, etc.)

Out of curiosity, where do some of the lesser-known leather makers such as Launer, Valextra or Moynat fall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by themodestman View Post

I don't know...you can't lose a suit. But who hasn't lost a wallet? Buy some shoes. It's hard to lose those!

Tell that to the guy whose suit I tried on at the Barney's Warehouse sale once. No joke, picked a suit off the rack, went to try it and noticed it looked worn. Upon closer inspection I found a stack of some guy's business cards in the pocket as well as a pass to an industry conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Who the f*ck came up with the rule that a wallet shouldn't be worth more than the money inside?

I never carry more than $50 in cash and see no reason to.

Out of curiosity, why a breast wallet then? I always thought much of the appeal was to not have your bills be doubly thick from being folded over, though I suppose stacking cards vertically (if you have a lot) will cut down on thickness too. And speaking of, how is that green wallet breaking in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by takashi78 View Post

LOL didnt know that this thread was still going on....

 

Was bored on a Saturday morning, looking at wallet threads and came across it, so sorry to dredge it up again. Out of curiosity, what did you end up with? If you're still waiting, did you ever see this:

http://shop.valextra.it/en_EU/MEN-S-WALLETS-WALLET-6-CARDS-HAVANA_L2NhdGFsb2cvdmlld1Byb2R1Y3QuanNwP2NkUHJvZHVjdD02ODQ2OQ==.jsp

in this color:

http://shop.valextra.it/en_EU/MEN-S-WALLETS-GRIP-SPRING-6-CARDS-VALEXTRA-GREEN_L2NhdGFsb2cvdmlld1Byb2R1Y3QuanNwP2NkUHJvZHVjdD02ODQ0Mg==.jsp

I just found out recently that it's possible to place orders directly via email with the main Milan boutique. It can be a bit expensive, as the shipping is roughly equal to the VAT I save, but there are some items I cannot find in the States and everything seems to be available there (even style/color combinations not available online). Expensive but still only about half of what the comparable Hermes wallet would be. A pleasure to deal with, too.
post #158 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post



I just found out recently that it's possible to place orders directly via email with the main Milan boutique. It can be a bit expensive, as the shipping is roughly equal to the VAT I save, but there are some items I cannot find in the States and everything seems to be available there (even style/color combinations not available online). Expensive but still only about half of what the comparable Hermes wallet would be. A pleasure to deal with, too.

Oh, and one more thing I just found out: if you're in Asia, the Valextra Japan site has a lot more styles available for order than the worldwide/Italian site.
post #159 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

makes no sense though to drive an expensive car in china since nobody cares about traffic rules or red lights and only 500'000RMB as highest insurance compensation...

Face is invaluable
post #160 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

Out of curiosity, why a breast wallet then? I always thought much of the appeal was to not have your bills be doubly thick from being folded over, though I suppose stacking cards vertically (if you have a lot) will cut down on thickness too. And speaking of, how is that green wallet breaking in?

I still carry cash and receipts. And yes, not having to stack credit cards and business cards on top of each each other keeps the wallet much slimmer.
post #161 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I still carry cash and receipts. And yes, not having to stack credit cards and business cards on top of each each other keeps the wallet much slimmer.

I suppose I haven't reached the point where I can say I'm refined enough to keep cash or receipts anywhere besides wadded up in a pants pocket (other than one to two bills folded in my card case) and since I'm not always wearing a jacket I tend to go for cases which fit in a front pocket. Do you just have other wallets for when going jacketless (as in going out for brunch on a Sunday, not going to the office sans jacket butbut.gif)? Unfortunately, not quite meticulous enough for that either...

Don't get me wrong, I think breast pocket wallets are quite cool, in that you see very few these days and eve fewer that are used right (as opposed to just a way of stuffing even more into a wallet). I feel like they fell out of favor when people, men in particular, stopped carrying a checkbook on a regular basis. I realized that my check book cover (which I've had for over a decade and bought for about $15 at an outlet mall) is actually a breast pocket wallet, though it's only ever lived in a desk drawer.
post #162 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

Out of curiosity, where do some of the lesser-known leather makers such as Launer, Valextra or Moynat fall?

I just purchased a Moynat briefcase. I looked at Valextra and the Hermes Sac a Depeche and I thought that the details of the Moynat were superior to the others. If you are talking just about leather quality alone, Hermes strikes me as tough to beat.
post #163 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I just purchased a Moynat briefcase. I looked at Valextra and the Hermes Sac a Depeche and I thought that the details of the Moynat were superior to the others. If you are talking just about leather quality alone, Hermes strikes me as tough to beat.

Thanks for your input, and would love to hear a report on how the Moynat case holds up. I walked into their shop in Paris last winter but they didn't have the style card case I was looking at (and leather, as opposed to coated canvas, would have been a special order, much like Goyard). Regarding quality, though, while you are probably right on Hermes the construction quality matters just as much. Even a wallet in the most beautiful leather won't look very good if the stitching or lacquering aren't of equal quality.

I also question how Hermes can command 2x the price over Valextra on wallets and briefcases. Is it primarily the leather, the workmanship or the name (or a combo of the three)? These cases appear comparable in size and functionality, but look at the prices!! Hermes weighs in at $5,800+ while Valextra is under $2,900:

http://usa.hermes.com/leather/bags-and-luggage/for-men/configurable-product-c-bag-etriviere-meeting-35849.html?color_leather=DARKBROWN

http://www.barneys.com/Valextra-Soft-Top-Zip-Briefcase/00463903005853,default,pd.html?cgid=BARNEYS&index=34

I feel briefcases are a better comparison than wallets since a higher percentage of the price is based on the item itself, rather than the name.
post #164 of 171
The price of the Moynat ended up being about the same as the Hermes when all was said and done. And the Moynat actually had more visible hand-worked elements. The leather doesn't seem as thick as Hermes, but the Moynat is a hard case. I think the Hermes price partially reflects name cache, but I have never heard anyone complain about the product and they can clearly get what they are asking.
post #165 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I think the Hermes price partially reflects name cache, but I have never heard anyone complain about the product and they can clearly get what they are asking.

Me either, but then again I don't know that many people who buy Hermes. I looked at a card case in Paris and my impression was that the leather was gorgeous, the workmanship was fine (I'm sure it was a lot more than fine but I am not a great judge and there aren't that many places to make a card case exquisite) but it didn't feel as substantial as I would have thought. On the one hand that made it very slim and light but on the other it felt a bit delicate. While the overall quality is less the pieces I've had from LV, Gucci and even Prada feel a bit heftier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advise on Hermes mens wallet