or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 565

post #8461 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post
 

Thats true, but this doesn't mean that a 202 Dover would not cost you a MTO fee.

 

Here is the key: "A premium will not be incurred for single pairs, if the style requested is a line stocked by Edward Green or alternatively stocked by Skoaktiebolaget (including stock held on a different width)." 

 

If the 202 Dover were stocked by EG in a makeup he wanted, there would not be a fee (if this policy stands). This is what would need to be determined and confirmed with Skoak/EG. Maybe they have changed how they operate, but it's worth checking. 

post #8462 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post
 

Thats true, but this doesn't mean that a 202 Dover would not cost you a MTO fee.

 

Here is the key: "A premium will not be incurred for single pairs, if the style requested is a line stocked by Edward Green or alternatively stocked by Skoaktiebolaget (including stock held on a different width)." 

 

If the 202 Dover were stocked by EG in a makeup he wanted, there would not be a fee (if this policy stands). This is what would need to be determined and confirmed with Skoak/EG. Maybe they have changed how they operate, but it's worth checking. 

 

Yes, you're completely right, of course. I forgot this option. :facepalm:

However, looking at the EG stock list for April, the 202 Dover in dark oak doesn't seem to be part of the regular EG stock at the moment.

 

But, as you say, this would best be confirmed by SkoAB.

post #8463 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post

Considering lighter colors, you could always check my Chestnut Nevis pictures that I recently posted in this thread for further reference. The good thing about lighter colors is that the stitching and the apron really "pop" and comes to life, which I personally like a lot. This is also the reason why I am not so fond of suede Dovers - the suede has the effect that the apron and stitching hardly shows at all. Some people think this is a good thing, but I like the EG handstitching so much that I really want it to show as much as possible. I mean, why get a Dover at all if not, inter alia, for this feature. But this is of course all a matters of taste, really.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts hoodog.

One of my concerns is that, to my mind, light colored shoes seem to only look good with equally light colored jackets and pants. That is, not dark browns or navys. To be sure, all these colors look great when the shoes are photographed just by themselves, or when you only see them with the end of a trouser leg, but I have a hard time imagining how they'd look with the rest of what the person is wearing. IMO, if they're worn with dark colored suits or sport coats (esp if the trousers are equally dark), the shoes "pop" too much and look out of place.

Do you find they have limited versatility? I figured maybe getting one pair of chestnut Dovers couldn't hurt, but I'm wondering if also getting a pair in burnt pine and nutmeg suede would be overkill. I get a ton of wear out of my dark oak Dovers, but I think that's just because dark colored shoes are infinitely easier to wear.

 

I totally agree and this is the reason why maybe 90% of all my shoes are in dark or middle brown. Lightly colored shoes with dark clothing makes too much of a contrast IMO and is pretty hard to pull off in an elegant way.

 

To be sure, my chestnut Dovers have less versatility than, say, my doak pair. This is also why I use the doak Ectons as a complement during the warmer half of the year. I don't think you need to worry about regretting getting at least one pair of lightly colored Dovers though, as these work great as a casual shoe with jeans and/or chinos, and with a lightly colored odd jacket. If you should buy more lightly colored pairs is however really dependent on what you normally wear. But if you already feel more "at home" in darker colored shoes, then my best recommendation would be to try out just one pair of lightly colored Dovers, and then decide if you want more.

post #8464 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts hoodog.

One of my concerns is that, to my mind, light colored shoes seem to only look good with equally light colored jackets and pants. That is, not dark browns or navys. To be sure, all these colors look great when the shoes are photographed just by themselves, or when you only see them with the end of a trouser leg, but I have a hard time imagining how they'd look with the rest of what the person is wearing. IMO, if they're worn with dark colored suits or sport coats (esp if the trousers are equally dark), the shoes "pop" too much and look out of place.

Do you find they have limited versatility? I figured maybe getting one pair of chestnut Dovers couldn't hurt, but I'm wondering if also getting a pair in burnt pine and nutmeg suede would be overkill. I get a ton of wear out of my dark oak Dovers, but I think that's just because dark colored shoes are infinitely easier to wear.

I agree but personally find EG Burnt Pine to be one of the most versatile colors, together with Dark Oak. Burnt Pine develops a beautiful patina over time and (for me) darkens quite a bit.
post #8465 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusvs View Post
 
 
I agree but personally find EG Burnt Pine to be one of the most versatile colors, together with Dark Oak. Burnt Pine develops a beautiful patina over time and (for me) darkens quite a bit.

 

Yup, BP is also very nice (then again, most things EG do are). I have some pairs that are officially in doak, but came looking more like BP out of the box, which also look very nice indeed (for example see my Wells and Galways posted in this thread). Dark Oak batches seem to be able to vary pretty much in color, which is strange considering the quality work EG does.

post #8466 of 14886
RE: Factory shop.

All shoes I picked up were 295 GBP. Boots were 375. Flaws I noticed had to do with leather quality. There's an handwritten note inside every box explaining why the shoes were marked as rejects.

Plenty of shoes in all sizes (looks like a real store, no pictures allowed). Lady is not as cold as previously reported. Shoe bags are 5 quid. Shoe trees are 70.

So many shoes I wanted but I'm traveling around (in Berlin now) so I only left with one pair. EG was a much better deal than JL (starting at 410 GBP) and Tricker's (basically full priced, starting at 265).
post #8467 of 14886
I wonder if EG do phone orders for factory seconds.
post #8468 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by prurient View Post

RE: Factory shop.

All shoes I picked up were 295 GBP. Boots were 375. Flaws I noticed had to do with leather quality. There's an handwritten note inside every box explaining why the shoes were marked as rejects.

Plenty of shoes in all sizes (looks like a real store, no pictures allowed). Lady is not as cold as previously reported. Shoe bags are 5 quid. Shoe trees are 70.

So many shoes I wanted but I'm traveling around (in Berlin now) so I only left with one pair. EG was a much better deal than JL (starting at 410 GBP) and Tricker's (basically full priced, starting at 265).

 

 

Sounds like a good deal, indeed. But then, what kind of seconds cost closer to 500 GBP? What, in your opinion, was the reason for the higher price on these? I am asking, since I've never been to the Factory shop myself, and only know what I think I know from what others tell me...

post #8469 of 14886
I did not see any shoe priced 500 quid. I tried maybe 7-8 pairs and they were all 295. They offer VAT refunds through a third party company. Handwritten forms that need to be stamped and mailed... Has never worked on previous trips (never saw the money) but I'll try again.
post #8470 of 14886

@jas0nt

Well, if you had just read the last 4 pages of this thread, you would know that they DO NOT offer phone orders.

Yeah, that sucks.

But that's the way it is. Only John Lobb will do this for you. However their rejects are very expensive. Their Rejected Oxford shoes cost 440 GBP + shipping, and their Prestige line, like Chapel, Philipp II are now 600 GBP for a Rejected shoe + shipping. That's too much if you ask me.

post #8471 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by unipair guy View Post




Some fancy new arrivals.
Henley on the 888 last.  One in Cloud Antique and Flannel Suede and the other in Dark Oak and White Calf.

The cloud antique/flannel suede combination is awesome. Inspired my next MTO which I just placed!
post #8472 of 14886
Quote:
Originally Posted by prurient View Post

I did not see any shoe priced 500 quid. I tried maybe 7-8 pairs and they were all 295. They offer VAT refunds through a third party company. Handwritten forms that need to be stamped and mailed... Has never worked on previous trips (never saw the money) but I'll try again.

 

Strange. I could've sworn that people in this thread have said that the best seconds cost around 450-500 GBP (VAT included of course). 

post #8473 of 14886

Overhead pictures of Dovers on the 202 and 606.  I hope these are helpful.

Gold delapre 202

Nightshade 606

post #8474 of 14886
^^ Thank you.
post #8475 of 14886
Love the nightshade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy