or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 467

post #6991 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by unipair guy View Post












We are curious to know what you gentlemen think about the EG Shannon and Carmina's balmoral boot.  Big difference? No difference? 

Both look very nice. But my vote has to go to the Shannons. Which last are the Carminas on? Forrest or Robert?
post #6992 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post
 

^ Difference is like that between a BMW 5 series and a Lamborghini.  Both are beautiful and I'd be pretty d@mned happy with either.  The first is great, the second will blow your doors off.  Visually, the difference between the shoes won't be nearly as great to most people (as opposed to with the cars).  If you know what to look for, however, there is definitely a difference.


Great description.

post #6993 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post


Both look very nice. But my vote has to go to the Shannons. Which last are the Carminas on? Forrest or Robert?


Thank you! Robert last

post #6994 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

EG Westminster's in Navy shell on the 888 last......












That's a lot of blue shell in the last week. And now I know who got the Ullwaters from Leffot in my size (I had been eyeing but never pulled the trigger). Glad you got them!! Enjoy!!
post #6995 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredandTired View Post

Shannon is a slender and sleek overall. Carmina bal boot has more pronounced curves in the taper to the toe and more overall body compared to Shannon.

^ in this regard, I believe the differences, are in some regard, due to materials - calf versus shell cordovan. I am on the opposite side of Sevenfold. I love bal boots and I own that exact version of the Shannon - it is a wonderful boot. That said, I think the Carmina wins. It is shell, which is better suited to the purpose and it is more reasonably priced. Also, I have two pairs of Carminas in shell and I think their finishing is second to none. I think a greater amount of contrast (in terms of color) would have benefitted the Carmina. Both are stunning to me.
post #6996 of 10542
Burton - that's an interesting perspective - thanks.

MoosicPa - those navy shell monks rock the house.
post #6997 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


any luck? any one else able to purchase a pair from sausages? i dont think even Bill expects to get full retail but whats a reasonable price? anyone succeed with an offer lower than list price?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S K M View Post
 

 

No, but you have to go higher than 551 GBP :embar:

He has definitely accepted offers in the past, but like SKM said earlier, his auto accept may not be much off the BIN price. Around $800 usd was as high as I went. Getting them ASAP would be nice (and the "defect" isn't bad), but much more and I would just order new from Skoak with the more favorable exchange rate.

post #6998 of 10542
Just wanted to show something regarding EG shoe trees. The typically come in two types that most retailers sell/ provide with their shoes: 888/82 and 202/606. I have, however, gotten different truly lasted trees on two occasions. One was a special order and the other was a top drawer shoe. See below pictures for an 888 lasted tree and comparison against the 82/888 tree. Not sure how much EG would charge for these and what the other lasts look like.

888 lasted tree



888 lasted tree (left) versus 82/888 lasted tree (right) - camera angle makes one look bigger than other, but they are same size.

post #6999 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

Just wanted to show something regarding EG shoe trees. The typically come in two types that most retailers sell/ provide with their shoes: 888/82 and 202/606. I have, however, gotten different truly lasted trees on two occasions. One was a special order and the other was a top drawer shoe. See below pictures for an 888 lasted tree and comparison against the 82/888 tree. Not sure how much EG would charge for these and what the other lasts look like.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
888 lasted tree



888 lasted tree (left) versus 82/888 lasted tree (right) - camera angle makes one look bigger than other, but they are same size.

 

 

Very interesting, thanks! I have two pair of EG shoe trees were one pair specifically states 88 and the other 808. Hmm… Anyway, how would you describe the difference (if any) in terms of fit between regular MTO and TD? TD are said to be roughly 25% on top, but with the MTO fee of SEK 1750 (through Skoak) the level of TD might not be that far away. But obviously the waiting time also plays a role :confused:

post #7000 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by unipair guy View Post
 

 

 

 

We are curious to know what you gentlemen think about the EG Shannon and Carmina's balmoral boot.  Big difference? No difference? 

Yet another opinion - I have the Carmina balmoral boots in cognac cordovan and they are flawless. I asked for a pair in the lightest shade they could find and what they sent was more like a whisky - I think of cognac as a bit darker than what Alden would call whisky. My pair are paler than most of the photos I've seen on the forum of the Carmina boot, but close to the way they appeared on the Skoat website. From these photos, I like the shape of the toe a bit better on the EG but I see very little difference.  I've seen nothing with regard to the finish of what Carmina does with cordovan on my particular pair of boots that would differentiate it from any other high-end maker and I'm glad that use Horween, a source known and respected to most of us. On my Carmina cordovan boots the color is striking and there are no flaws in the cordovan anywhere (and there's a lot of beautiful pale cordovan in that boot!). My only complaint on the Carmina cordovan boots is that they squeak when I walk - the sound of the tongue of the boot against the shaft (I do hate using the word shaft in this context but it was used earlier in this thread, we could use throat but that leads to other problems). Or maybe the squeaking is my creaky joints.

post #7001 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by S K M View Post

Very interesting, thanks! I have two pair of EG shoe trees were one pair specifically states 88 and the other 808. Hmm… Anyway, how would you describe the difference (if any) in terms of fit between regular MTO and TD? TD are said to be roughly 25% on top, but with the MTO fee of SEK 1750 (through Skoak) the level of TD might not be that far away. But obviously the waiting time also plays a role confused.gif

I just tried on my TD shoes at Leffot - I was on my way to dinner so I didn't take them with me. The fit is the same (or at least should be). The difference is the finishing and the leather used seems to be a better quality - put side by side against the RTW of the same shoe the differences were very apparent. I'm very happy with how they came out and will post pics next week. That being said I wouldn't go TD in every shoe - just shoes were you want something truly special and the TD finishing really comes out - waist details, leather quality and burnishing. For example I won't do it with anything but a leather sole and calf. The shoes came with the trees for free so the 25% markup was a little more palatable.

Turnaround time for TD was the same as MTO.
post #7002 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post


I just tried on my TD shoes at Leffot - I was on my way to dinner so I didn't take them with me. The fit is the same (or at least should be). The difference is the finishing and the leather used seems to be a better quality - put side by side against the RTW of the same shoe the differences were very apparent. I'm very happy with how they came out and will post pics next week. That being said I wouldn't go TD in every shoe - just shoes were you want something truly special and the TD finishing really comes out - waist details, leather quality and burnishing. For example I won't do it with anything but a leather sole and calf. The shoes came with the trees for free so the 25% markup was a little more palatable.

Turnaround time for TD was the same as MTO.

 

Makes good sense. And agree regarding the choice for TD – a suede loafer would be a bit overkill. Btw, is it 25% on top of the regular price, or the MTO price? I guess it's on the MTO price, cause if shoe trees are included a TD would seem more economical. Anyway, I'm looking very much forward to seeing your TD :slayer:

 

PS: nice with the turnaround time!

post #7003 of 10542
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

That's a lot of blue shell in the last week. And now I know who got the Ullwaters from Leffot in my size (I had been eyeing but never pulled the trigger). Glad you got them!! Enjoy!!

Thanks, they look good together....



post #7004 of 10542

beautiful...now get those puppies off your desk and onto some pavement.  enjoy!

post #7005 of 10542
The dark navy is supreme. From one SF'er to another like passing it through a shoe family
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy