or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 431

post #6451 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post

I just started a project to photograph and upload the current EG swatch books. Most are done but I need to get my web guy to make a good table for them, this might take a while.

Just PM me if there are any special types of leathers you are interested in. I just spotted some really nice reindeer swatches by the way.

Much appreciated but in the meantime can you tell us in what colors reindeer is available. I am eying Falkirk but I am undecided about the color or leather material.
post #6452 of 13687
Roger, the Westminsters look great.

The original color was pretty fugly. Maple is perhaps the elusive Band-Aid color Manton once wrote about; it looked like undyed leather with just a hint of burnishing.
post #6453 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post


I never saw these when they were originally posted, did you get these from us, looks like our make up with the single Dainite. Anyways, great pictures. Awesome color reproduction.

 

Thanks Leaves! No, they were not bought from you, since your stock was unfortunately exhausted by the time I got my eye on this make-up. :censored:However, they are in fact made on a single Dainite sole and with the awesome doak/walnut CC combo. I am in heaven each time I use them.

post #6454 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

I'd personally not worry too much about the colour of country footwear, more about the suitability of the chosen materials when dealing with the local conditions.

Just as a diversion, I've taken a few pics of a pair of WW2 Lotus veldtschoen boots which are very much the forerunner of the original Galway as it was Lotus who first made and patented the construction method.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The boots are made from zug grain and have been recently resoled. Look at the similarities with the Galway, with both being a unlined wholecut derby boot made of robust leather. Note also the full bellows tongue as opposed to the Galway's half-bellows one. These were rewaxed yesterday as I still use them, along with another pair from WW2 which I own:






The boots were often used a private purchase field boots as British Empire commissioned officers, and they were noted to be costly in their day.

Thanks for kicking this off, CT - great history and information. I daresay that the old Lotus' are not a bit poncey.
post #6455 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

Much appreciated but in the meantime can you tell us in what colors reindeer is available. I am eying Falkirk but I am undecided about the color or leather material.


Calico


Cobalt


Eucalyptus


Mace


Navy
post #6456 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne View Post

Roger, the Westminsters look great.

The original color was pretty fugly. Maple is perhaps the elusive Band-Aid color Manton once wrote about; it looked like undyed leather with just a hint of burnishing.

 

Cheers.  I guess one good thing that can be said of Maple is that it makes an excellent canvas for any number of different custom looks.

post #6457 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

Thanks for kicking this off, CT - great history and information. I daresay that the old Lotus' are not a bit poncey.

No problem, I'll try and get a pic at the weekend of the old zug next to modem day country calf so you can understand how hardy the old zug veldts were/are.

If you search the thread you'll find pics of an old EG pre-Galway veldt boot that I posted, recently sold as part of a clear out. They were zug/Heather gorse...otherwise let me know and I'll try and dig out the pics again...
post #6458 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Cheers.  I guess one good thing that can be said of Maple is that it makes an excellent canvas for any number of different custom looks.

No doubt! Less color to strip away before working on the new color. Reminds me of the 'raw' shoes Septième Largeur offers for custom patina work: http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/homme-r-fr.html?couleur=NATUREL&taille=
post #6459 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

nice - both

Thanks
post #6460 of 13687
Is EG tends to run size bigger?

I feel G&G UK9E too narrow but 9F in EG a bit big. 8.5F is okay.

BTW I am waiting for my G&G UK9F Deco green, will reflect
post #6461 of 13687

^ Depends on what last shape you're referring to.  On the topic of widths, EG shoes run narrow, so a D is more like a US E, and an E is more like a US D width.  Of course, this is more pronounced on the 82 last than others, such as the 202/606.

post #6462 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by member2000r View Post

Is EG tends to run size bigger?

I feel G&G UK9E too narrow but 9F in EG a bit big. 8.5F is okay.

BTW I am waiting for my G&G UK9F Deco green, will reflect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

^ Depends on what last shape you're referring to.  On the topic of widths, EG shoes run narrow, so a D is more like a US E, and an E is more like a US D width.  Of course, this is more pronounced on the 82 last than others, such as the 202/606.

My G&G are more "snug" than my EG in the same size (6.5E)...not enough to size up or down though.
post #6463 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post


My G&G are more "snug" than my EG in the same size (6.5E)...not enough to size up or down though.

Agreed, but in some cases I size up 0.5 (TG73).
post #6464 of 13687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post


Agreed, but in some cases I size up 0.5 (TG73).

 

Me too - or else I need a wide fitting on the TG73, whereas an E width on the 888 or 82 work fine for me.

post #6465 of 13687

Is it so terribly wrong to order your third pair of Galways even though you have yet to receive your second pair? Heck I've even contemplated a fourth pair.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy