or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 428

post #6406 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

What is Zug, exactly?? Is it something other than simple?pebble grain leather?

Zug leather was developed in the Swiss town of Zug.

Die difference between Zug leather and any old grain leather, was the fact that the thrifty Swiss introduced some waste product of the Swiss chocolate industry (cocoa molasses, or whatever it was) into the tanning or finishing process. So traditionally Zug leather had a nice chocolate smell.

Whether modern Zug leather still comes from Switzerland and uses chocolate in it's formula, I doubt somehow.


AFAIK, Zug was Scottish tannery W & J Martin's trademark. Just like Nettleton's trademark Loafer, it is now a generic name.
http://www.trademarkia.com/zug-wj-martin-72285033.html

c59330f9.jpg
f3a19a83.jpg
0495e036.jpg
Quote:
http://www.aacrack.co.uk/catalogue.asp?product_id=52
A classic Horween leather here at A & A Crack & Sons Ltd. A heavy weight waxed leather drum stuffed from steer hides with the original 'Martins grain' known traditionally as 'Zug'


England tannery William Paul also made scotch grain leather and named it Beva.
Quote:
http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/history/bwpages/21.htm

Made of waterproof Beva leather, this boot has been evolved after considerable experiment, and incorporates the best principles of the French and Swiss designs.
75090fd1.png


Here is a recipe for Zug and Beva.
post #6407 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

Gentlemen,

Does anyone prefer an all heather gorse (zug) Galway boot for a potential group MTO? I am contemplating something possibly more like the classic (without suede). Otherwise, it could be the same: 64 last, medway sole, possible shearling lined shaft, likely E fitting. What do interested parties think? Please advise and PM, if you think these details attractive and suitable. Cheers.

 



Love the concept, but I'm afraid I have different preferences for a number of details.

1) prefer double dainite soles
2) prefer 82 last in an E width (though I wouldn't rule out another last if I could arrive at a point of reasonable reassurance as to likely fit. I know a 9E 82 will work 100%).
3) any lind of shearling lining is a deal-breaker. I have very warm feet. ;-)

Also - is this something you are contemplating running on your own, or through a vendor?
post #6408 of 13777
VegTan - I look forward to reading through that info you have helpfully prpvided.
post #6409 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

VegTan - I look forward to reading through that info you have helpfully prpvided.

Seconded. Incredible collection of info in that post.

@VegTan, I have a pair of boots made of Beva leather in the same pattern as that pair pictured. Mine carry the CC41 utility stamp so can be dated to around 1941 to 1948 which is when, I think, they dropped using the stamp on clothing.

If anything, the Beva leather (pronounced, presumably, 'beaver' due to the animal appearing on the Beva-branded pull tabs) is even thicker than zug.
post #6410 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Love the concept, but I'm afraid I have different preferences for a number of details.

1) prefer double dainite soles
2) prefer 82 last in an E width (though I wouldn't rule out another last if I could arrive at a point of reasonable reassurance as to likely fit. I know a 9E 82 will work 100%).
3) any lind of shearling lining is a deal-breaker. I have very warm feet. ;-)

Also - is this something you are contemplating running on your own, or through a vendor?

 

Not sure yet, but possibly through Skoak once we have sorted all the details out. Btw, EG will only do Veldtschoen on the 64 last, so that leaves no room to discuss the last if it's going to be Veldtschoen – and it is ;)

post #6411 of 13777
Skoak would definitely work for me. Understood re. last. Keep me posted.
post #6412 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

Gentlemen,
Does anyone prefer an all heather gorse (zug) Galway boot for a potential group MTO? I am contemplating something possibly more like the classic (without suede). Otherwise, it could be the same: 64 last, medway sole, possible shearling lined shaft, likely E fitting. What do interested parties think? Please advise and PM, if you think these details attractive and suitable. Cheers.

A
I would be interested in all leather makeup. Also if we go with suede option I am not interested in anything exotic such as blue or red suede.
post #6413 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post


A
I would be interested in all leather makeup. Also if we go with suede option I am not interested in anything exotic such as blue or red suede.


Agreed. I think some shade of brown would be most suitable and add a distinct touch to a rough out country boot without looking out of place. But what shade to choose is quite another question, and I hope to have some swatches sent over so the choice will be easier. I reckon the heather gorse is quite a special colour, so I thinks it's crucial to choose the right shade of suede if it shall work out...

post #6414 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by S K M View Post


Agreed. I think some shade of brown would be most suitable and add a distinct touch to a rough out country boot without looking out of place. But what shade to choose is quite another question, and I hope to have some swatches sent over so the choice will be easier. I reckon the heather gorse is quite a special colour, so I thinks it's crucial to choose the right shade of suede if it shall work out...

I just started a project to photograph and upload the current EG swatch books. Most are done but I need to get my web guy to make a good table for them, this might take a while.

Just PM me if there are any special types of leathers you are interested in. I just spotted some really nice reindeer swatches by the way.
post #6415 of 13777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post


I just started a project to photograph and upload the current EG swatch books. Most are done but I need to get my web guy to make a good table for them, this might take a while.

Just PM me if there are any special types of leathers you are interested in. I just spotted some really nice reindeer swatches by the way.

 

Awesome job, PM sent! Cheers!

post #6416 of 13777
Got my Galway MTO today. Dark Oak, last 82, double dainite. They are awesome smile.gif

Urqx3gK.jpg
post #6417 of 13777
^ fantastic frank. Dark oak is a winner
post #6418 of 13777
Terrific boots - congrats!
post #6419 of 13777
post #6420 of 13777
Who do you guys go thru for MTO orders?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy