or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 381

post #5701 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowkin View Post


Nationality is not a problem. A friend of mine who is a UK national went back to the UK this summer and he had no problem claiming back the VAT on his purchases upon leaving the UK.

Thank you Sir, maybe one more question, if he places an order online to receive shoes in the UK, how could he claim back VAT? Will the VAT invoice included in the parcel shipped to his house?

post #5702 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Thank you Sir, maybe one more question, if he places an order online to receive shoes in the UK, how could he claim back VAT? Will the VAT invoice included in the parcel shipped to his house?

OFF TOPIC: The "tax free shopping" system in Europe is managed by independent companies like Global Blue. How it works is that you pay the full price in the store and then you have to file a form with Global Blue when exiting the country in order to get VAT back. Global Blue takes a cut of the VAT deduction, that's how it works. So if the VAT is 20% (like in the UK) then you'd be refunded something like 15%. Tax Free Shopping only applies to goods that are bought at affiliated stores and exported in your luggage, not Internet sales. Here is some more info: http://www.globalblue.com/customer-services/tax-free-shopping/tax-free-shopping-faqs/
post #5703 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

^^Well, I just love the 3 eye derby.

Thanks! I wasn't sure about them when I ordered them, but really like them after seeing them in person.
post #5704 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post

Inverness in Dark Oak? Great choice! I take it you were inspired by me and my photos, posted in this thread a couple of months ago? wink.gif

Yes, thanks. Probably so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdude View Post

jreigen: beautiful shoes!  I think I know the colors, but just to make sure, would you state them?

Both are dark oak antique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

jreigen - that's an instant shoe collection right there - congrats!

Thanks!
post #5705 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreigen View Post

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if Foster & Sons orders to the US are getting hit with duties/brokerage fees?

I asked them to ship via another method, which they were able to accommodate. I have not received a bill for duties (yet). Generally, though, I agree with dtauton and applaud him for his public defense of a sadly unpopular position.
post #5706 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post


I asked them to ship via another method, which they were able to accommodate. I have not received a bill for duties (yet). Generally, though, I agree with dtauton and applaud him for his public defense of a sadly unpopular position.

 

I asked them to ship my shoes via Royal Mail (as opposed to a duty-magnet courier) and, as with better than 9 out of 10 packages shipped that way, they came through with zero duties assessed.  It took a full week, instead of 2-3 days, but I'll make that trade every single time.

post #5707 of 13149
^ I asked for RoyalMail as well, I just couldn't remember if they used that or another service.

For anyone on the fence, the Cliftons are not to be slept on.
post #5708 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post
 

Thank you Sir, maybe one more question, if he places an order online to receive shoes in the UK, how could he claim back VAT? Will the VAT invoice included in the parcel shipped to his house?

I'm sorry I'm unable to answer that because I have no prior experience, but I'd say chances are remote because merchants would need to fill out passport details on your VAT refund form and ask for a signature too.

 

When I ordered from EG and had them shipped to Hong Kong, the VAT was automatically deducted, but I had to pay £60 for the postage.  Say I buy a pair of shoes at £660.  The VAT is £110.  In reality I don't get it all back because the VAT refund companies have to make a living and normally I end up with 2/3 of my VAT refund, which is about £70.  Just £20 difference but a lot more convenient.  But that's assuming you don't have to pay import duties.  Here in Hong Kong we don't.  

post #5709 of 13149

Thank you Chowkin,

 

Maybe I would visit a store of EG in Hongkong when I have a chance, I'm living in Vietnam now, quite near Hongkong you know. But here if I ordered shoes or any sort of clothes directly from England or any foreign countries, I would be charged 30% for the import duty and around 10% more for special consumption tax. These duties make the price of the shoes increase dramatically.

post #5710 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Thank you Chowkin,

Maybe I would visit a store of EG in Hongkong when I have a chance, I'm living in Vietnam now, quite near Hongkong you know. But here if I ordered shoes or any sort of clothes directly from England or any foreign countries, I would be charged 30% for the import duty and around 10% more for special consumption tax. These duties make the price of the shoes increase dramatically.

Able to bribe to avoid duties? Though a trip to HK would probably be the same cost
post #5711 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtauton View Post
 

I don't know but I have to hope so. After all I need to pay VAT on all my purchases in Jermyn st so I always consider it pretty bad form when UK merchants emphasize the non-VAT price ( meaning no taxes) for non EU customers. Taxes are essential to a well regulated society and should be payed by all and not just some 'suckers'

 

I do sometimes wonder if the mods will one day regret not challenging some of the tax avoidance-related discussions on here...

post #5712 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

Sorry for my question may not relate the thread, but I want to know if an UK citizen bought a shoes at price including VAT in London, then he leaved for a destination outside the EU and brought that shoes with him (new in box), would he received the deduction of VAT before leaving England?

Not applicable for UK/ EU citizens
post #5713 of 13149
Anyone have Galways in chestnut antique? If so, do you get much wear out of them? Use them for casual or dress or both? Year round wear? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me as opposed to using the thread if you wish. Thanks in advance
post #5714 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Anyone have Galways in chestnut antique? If so, do you get much wear out of them? Use them for casual or dress or both? Year round wear? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me as opposed to using the thread if you wish. Thanks in advance

Boots tend to be better suited to cooler rather than warmer weather, for obvious reasons.

As you go more casual, thicker soles, less pointy lasts, and textured/drab leathers tend to look better.

The color chestnut itself, however, is fine for pretty much everything outside of weddings/interviews etc.
post #5715 of 13149
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Boots tend to be better suited to cooler rather than warmer weather, for obvious reasons.

As you go more casual, thicker soles, less pointy lasts, and textured/drab leathers tend to look better.

The color chestnut itself, however, is fine for pretty much everything outside of weddings/interviews etc.

Thanks for the reply - and I don't disagree with anything you have said.

The Galway on the 82 last is dressier than many boots on the market (by virtue of its style and its last). But the color chestnut, IMO, makes it less dressy than many Galways (say, in Dark Oak or Bronze or Black). Add a Dainite sole and it is less dressy still. See link below:

http://axelsltd.com/galway-chestnut-tobacco#.Uo-3Aeznaic

Wondering if anyone has this boot, or a similar chestnut Galway (or other EG boot in chestnut), and their experience with it in terms of versatility.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy