or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1834

post #27496 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyor View Post

EG can't make the Dover from shell because it's not suited for that stitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Just like EG cannot make a shell galway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

A talented craftsman can do almost everything with every leather (ex. the incredible Meccariello's seamless wholecut boots)

I have no doubt they could make them, simply refuse to because they need too much care and hassles.

So we'll see only one of a kind special shoes for special clients...

funny....
i was speaking
to meccariello yesterday
inquiring about my
latest order
and he mentioned
this exact thing..

a person
was/is ordering a
'galway' boot from
in dark blue
museum cordovan
and another
(i think a member
of this forum)
ordered a
'dover' in cordovan
post #27497 of 29011
Mmmmmm just took delivery of these. Bought them on eBay for 599 USD – completely unworn and A-grade happy.gif



Seems 2016 will be a good EG year for me. Upcoming is a pair of Malverns on 888 in burned pine, and just the other day I placed another MTO for a pair of Westminsters in mink suede and R1 soles smile.gif
post #27498 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

MP didn't you have a shell Shannon made?

Indeed I did, after being told by one (former) retailer that it wasn't possible....

It never hurts to ask I found.... nod[1].gif



post #27499 of 29011
It wasn't that it couldn't be made, but rather it wouldn't hold the skin stitch.
post #27500 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

Indeed I did, after being told by one (former) retailer that it wasn't possible....

It never hurts to ask I found.... nod[1].gif



How are these wearing?
post #27501 of 29011

To follow up on my request here to get some sizing advice on 606 last, I got to try 202 last at a nearby brooks brothers and estimated my 606 sizing for these Dark Oak Nevis.

 

Once I had a good idea on my sizing, I picked up these brand new from a fellow member here and am glad the sizing worked out pretty well. I like boots as well as the split toes , and this is their awesome looking love child -

 

 

 

post #27502 of 29011
delete
post #27503 of 29011

Just bought my first pair of EG this week! :) 

 

I was wondering if it's worth getting EG's own shoe trees or any generic ones would do? at £95 is rather steep for quite a plain looking shoe tree compared to CJ's handgrade trees. 

 

I have these at the moment, but not sure if the spring load toe would deform the shoe over time. 

 

post #27504 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvw View Post

Just bought my first pair of EG this week! smile.gif  

I was wondering if it's worth getting EG's own shoe trees or any generic ones would do? at £95 is rather steep for quite a plain looking shoe tree compared to CJ's handgrade trees. 

I have these at the moment, but not sure if the spring load toe would deform the shoe over time. 

If you paid full price for the shoes, then you shouldn't have a problem paying a little more for shoe trees that are designed to fit the shoes well.

There's nothing wrong with the trees you've posted, or other trees of that kind, as long as they fit the shoes well. I had a UK7F Galway 82 last and found The Shoe Snob alder wood trees in UK7 as well as Skoak travel shoe trees in UK7 both fit really well. If price is a concern I would suggest TSS trees, as they're very high quality and hold a nice shape. I own 5 pairs of TSS trees and 2 of Skoak travel trees.
post #27505 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvw View Post

Just bought my first pair of EG this week! smile.gif  

I was wondering if it's worth getting EG's own shoe trees or any generic ones would do? at £95 is rather steep for quite a plain looking shoe tree compared to CJ's handgrade trees. 

I have these at the moment, but not sure if the spring load toe would deform the shoe over time. 

I've switched to using lasted trees whenever I can. Non-lasted trees, I've found, stretch out shoes and slightly deform the shape.

Note, EG doesn't actually sell lasted trees for all of their lasts. They used to have one for the 202/ 606 last, and another for 82/ 888. I believe they've discontinued the latter and are now only selling 202/ 606 as stock. Maybe the 82/ 888 version can be special ordered.

If you're in the US, Gentlemen's Footwear sells EG trees with free shipping.
post #27506 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


I've switched to using lasted trees whenever I can. Non-lasted trees, I've found, stretch out shoes and slightly deform the shape.

Note, EG doesn't actually sell lasted trees for all of their lasts. They used to have one for the 202/ 606 last, and another for 82/ 888. I believe they've discontinued the latter and are now only selling 202/ 606 as stock. Maybe the 82/ 888 version can be special ordered.

If you're in the US, Gentlemen's Footwear sells EG trees with free shipping.


That hasn't been my experience - at least if generic trees are reasonably well-fitting.  Stretching / deforming can occur if the generic trees are too large. I don't see value for money in the steep additional charge for EG and G&G trees.

post #27507 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post


That hasn't been my experience - at least if generic trees are reasonably well-fitting.  Stretching / deforming can occur if the generic trees are too large. I don't see value for money in the steep additional charge for EG and G&G trees.

RJman had an article a few years ago about the value of lasted trees. I can't find it at the moment because it's not in the new ASW archive, but I remember thinking he was crazy. With as many shoes as I own, I wasn't really trying to pay $100-150 per pair for shoe trees.

Then I started noticing small things here and there on particularly old shoes. Mostly sides that were slightly deformed (even though they had well-fitting generic trees).

Last year, I spoke to a couple of bespoke shoemakers, who also said they thought lasted trees are important. There's always some amount of pressure with non-lasted shoe trees, so over a period of ten years or so, you end up stretching the shoes a little bit.

Obviously, whether that trivial of an issue warrants spending so much on trees depends on each person, but I decided to just switch to lasted trees where I can.
post #27508 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post


That hasn't been my experience - at least if generic trees are reasonably well-fitting.  Stretching / deforming can occur if the generic trees are too large. I don't see value for money in the steep additional charge for EG and G&G trees.

Agree.

I've used woodlore epic shoe trees to success and without deformation. In my experience they adequately consume the shoe cavity without exerting significant pressure on the leather. For the price they're really hard to beat, just make sure you order the correct size.

That said I prefer same manufacturer trees whenever possible...I like the uniformity.
post #27509 of 29011
I used Woodlore Epic before but the EG trees (granted they are lasted on 202) fit much better. To me they were worth the purchase.
post #27510 of 29011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


RJman had an article a few years ago about the value of lasted trees. I can't find it at the moment because it's not in the new ASW archive, but I remember thinking he was crazy. With as many shoes as I own, I wasn't really trying to pay $100-150 per pair for shoe trees.

Then I started noticing small things here and there on particularly old shoes. Mostly sides that were slightly deformed (even though they had well-fitting generic trees).

Last year, I spoke to a couple of shoemakers, who also said they thought lasted trees are important. There's always some amount of pressure with non-lasted shoe trees, so over a period of ten years or so, you end up stretching the shoes a little bit.

Obviously, whether that trivial of an issue warrants spending so much on trees depends on each person, but I decided to just switch to lasted trees where I can.

 

As I said, that has not been my experience - and I suspect that if it were generally the case we would see fairly widespread reports of shoe stretching and deformation from the owners of many brands of shoes in respect of which lasted trees are not even offered.

 

My very first pair of Galways came without lasted trees but I had a generic pair on hand that fit very well.  They rank among my most-worn pair of boots and have held up beautifully.  Conversely, the trees on my last-adjusted St. Cripin's chukkas have never fit particularly well.  But as they are a touch loose, there certainly hasn't been any issue with stretching. 

 

Bonafes, until recently, have not even been available with dedicated trees (and I'm not sure the current trees are made to specific lasts).

 

I am curious though - if what you are describing is very little stretching over a lengthy period of time (10 years) - how is that definitively attributable to the trees, as opposed to other aspects of fit and wear? 

 

I don't suggest that buying lasted and or 'dedicated OEM trees' is a bad idea, but in my experience the difference in cost between using no trees and using inexpensive generic trees is small, and the added benefit significant - while the difference in cost between using well fitting and lasted trees is significant and the added benefit minimal or non-existent. YMMV.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy