or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1816

post #27226 of 28916

how exactly are the new resin lasts different from the old wooden lasts? are they made in the same shape but larger in volume/width/length? 

I believe all my EGs are made on the old wooden lasts, but would be good to understand what the differences are for future purchases, assuming all production going forward is made on the new resin lasts.

post #27227 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post

how exactly are the new resin lasts different from the old wooden lasts? are they made in the same shape but larger in volume/width/length? 
I believe all my EGs are made on the old wooden lasts, but would be good to understand what the differences are for future purchases, assuming all production going forward is made on the new resin lasts.

If I recall correctly, someone explained that wooden lasts shrink along the grain, which meant width at the forefoot, height at instep, etc. More simply, you can say that wood is softer and more compressible than resin. Lasting and whatnot requires substantial beating of the last with a hammer or some sort, so wood shrinks and contracts more noticeably than resin does (if at all).

This all became an issue when EG switched all their lasts from wooden to resin. Someone posted that a serial upward of 100k is good indication of the resin lasts being used, and below 100k of the wooden lasts.
post #27228 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post


If I recall correctly, someone explained that wooden lasts shrink along the grain, which meant width at the forefoot, height at instep, etc. More simply, you can say that wood is softer and more compressible than resin. Lasting and whatnot requires substantial beating of the last with a hammer or some sort, so wood shrinks and contracts more noticeably than resin does (if at all).

This all became an issue when EG switched all their lasts from wooden to resin. Someone posted that a serial upward of 100k is good indication of the resin lasts being used, and below 100k of the wooden lasts.


You can also pull off the sock. P=resin

post #27229 of 28916
post #27230 of 28916
Gentleman,

A question about EG production numbers. If it starts with S3*** does it signify that the shoes are seconds? I know the current numbering is up to the 110***. A vendor on eBay has offerered a new pair with only slight discount to retail and I'd to know its production year before deciding.
post #27231 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post

Gentleman,

A question about EG production numbers. If it starts with S3*** does it signify that the shoes are seconds? I know the current numbering is up to the 110***. A vendor on eBay has offerered a new pair with only slight discount to retail and I'd to know its production year before deciding.

I would stay clear of that, why would you buy sub at only slight discount from retail?
post #27232 of 28916

Gold Delapre Dovers with chambray trousers.

 

post #27233 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post

Gentleman,

A question about EG production numbers. If it starts with S3*** does it signify that the shoes are seconds? I know the current numbering is up to the 110***. A vendor on eBay has offerered a new pair with only slight discount to retail and I'd to know its production year before deciding.


I agree with @NewStart. I would only buy from eBay at a significant discount. You're foregoing a lot for a small discount by buying on eBay vs a true vendor that stands behind their product if something were to go wrong.

post #27234 of 28916
Passed at EG store today. Literally 10 mins from
My office.




Seems a good variety and a lot more choices in 10 and 11's on sale.

Not much in 8-9

Sale still on going for those that can trek there.
post #27235 of 28916
post #27236 of 28916

Is this from Jermyn St? Do they do purchases over the phone for those not in London?

post #27237 of 28916
Yes Jermyn Street. To my knowledge having gone for most of their sales, you would have to visit the shop. Unless someone on here has ever bought sale items over the phone, it's is not something I asked.
post #27238 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv49 View Post

Yes Jermyn Street. To my knowledge having gone for most of their sales, you would have to visit the shop. Unless someone on here has ever bought sale items over the phone, it's is not something I asked.

Most prices averaged 30% RRP. Nothing more.

 

@TtownMD

 

Isn't it nice to be an insider? :nodding:

post #27239 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post

@TtownMD


Isn't it nice to be an insider? nod%5B1%5D.gif

Didn't mean to break the fourth wall

Ooops.
post #27240 of 28916
Sadly with so little in an 8 by the looks of things it's not worth a journey down from Derbyshire.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy