or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1691

post #25351 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
 

 

Forgive me as I'm an EG newcomer and a long time Alden shell guy...But with regard to insoles, I'm under the impression that utilizing them compromises the integrity of the footbed? With Alden's I've always been told to refrain from them because it interferes with the 'molding' process and puts your foots out of alignment of the natural flexpoints of the shoe.

 

Is that not the case with EG's?

 

I use them, in fact I'm using them right now, on an 82 last Galway. I don't know how what you describe would happen, but I have no technical knowledge about this. I'm not sure how it makes a difference to the shoe. The insole jsut makes it as if you have a higher volume foot, same as if someone with a higher volume foot were wearing your shoe. Sure it might cause the shoe to flex differently, but that's the case with any two sets of feet.

 

We're just talking about a thin piece, not like a dr scholl's or anything with it's own arch support.  I've ordered the Tacco brand and have been happy with them. Order one size up from the UK size on the Galway.

post #25352 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
 

 

Forgive me as I'm an EG newcomer and a long time Alden shell guy...But with regard to insoles, I'm under the impression that utilizing them compromises the integrity of the footbed? With Alden's I've always been told to refrain from them because it interferes with the 'molding' process and puts your foots out of alignment of the natural flexpoints of the shoe.

 

Is that not the case with EG's?


 Um... wut?  By insoles are you referring to something like a thin leather sockliner or a big hard plastic orthotic?  The former should pose no problem whatsoever, but also shouldn't really be needed if you got the fit right in the first place.

post #25353 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalevy View Post
 

 

I use them, in fact I'm using them right now, on an 82 last Galway. I don't know how what you describe would happen, but I have no technical knowledge about this. I'm not sure how it makes a difference to the shoe. The insole jsut makes it as if you have a higher volume foot, same as if someone with a higher volume foot were wearing your shoe. Sure it might cause the shoe to flex differently, but that's the case with any two sets of feet.

 

We're just talking about a thin piece, not like a dr scholl's or anything with it's own arch support.  I've ordered the Tacco brand and have been happy with them. Order one size up from the UK size on the Galway.

 

 

Excellent, thank you for the reco. I will look into those as they appear to be precisely what I was looking for. Did you find them at a retail outlet or have to order those online?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 


 Um... wut?  By insoles are you referring to something like a thin leather sockliner or a big hard plastic orthotic?  The former should pose no problem whatsoever, but also shouldn't really be needed if you got the fit right in the first place.

 

Well old boy, if the Queen had balls she'd be the King. :rimshot:

 

I'll look into the Tacco's to remedy the slight issue afoot (pun intended) and contemplate ordering a width narrower in the future. Thank you.

post #25354 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
 

 

 

Excellent, thank you for the reco. I will look into those as they appear to be precisely what I was looking for. Did you find them at a retail outlet or have to order those online?

 

 

Well old boy, if the Queen had balls she'd be the King. :rimshot:

 

I'll look into the Tacco's to remedy the slight issue afoot (pun intended) and contemplate ordering a width narrower in the future. Thank you.

 

I just ordered on Amazon. Ordering is a little tricky though, as the sizes are listed separately.

 

As to the sizing, yeah, would be nice if D widths were readily available (and returnable). Such is life. 

post #25355 of 28910
Beautiful Galways, but rule #1 when it comes to menswear: Fit is paramount.

Imho no matter how good a shoe looks, if doesn't fit well, move em while they are new. Live and learn.

You're heels are slipping, the facings look like they are already completely closed and creases are already starting to develop around the heel. Well fitting shoes should't develop creases in that area at all. Some red flags that the fit is off at least by 1/2 a size possibly even a full size.

An OEM E.G. sock liner will do little to correct the sizing issues you have on those Galways. They are merely 1MM thick and won't help to prevent heel slip.

Alternatively you might be able to try some thick socks, but if you are like me and find that ideal fit is a must I would just move em.
post #25356 of 28910

Axel's stocks galways in D width, btw

post #25357 of 28910

That heel crease does seem odd.

post #25358 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post



Today's boot. Leffot MTO. Berry suede upper and antique burgundy lower on dainite 82 last. 3sixteen brown weft 17oz raw selvedge denim.

Looking good and if you are happy with the fit then why not but the lacing on these Derby boots is already fully closed ! That suede will give a bit over time.
Anyway thanks for sharing these lovely Galway boots.
post #25359 of 28910
The insoles I use are from CVS. They're like thin foam pads that you cut yourself. Found them in the diabetic section because of the foot pain diabetics can have. I just cut to shape and use a piece of scotch tape to keep them in place. Integrity of the footbed probably only comes into play when you're using a shaped insole.

If anything, using an insole on a shoe that's too big will help put your foot in the right place and keep "the integrity of the footbed." Same idea as using a tongue pad to keep your foot in the heel cup.
post #25360 of 28910
Hi everyone.

I'm ordering a pair of MTO EGs and don't like any of the suede options. Wondering if I indeed have all the brown suede swatches in front of me:

Mocha
Mink
Mole
Tobacco
Nutmeg
Coffee
Mushroom
Oyster

Anyone know if I'm missing something?

Edit: I guess there's also baby calf suede, but I think that's a little too soft for what I want.
Edited by dieworkwear - 2/11/16 at 1:16pm
post #25361 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Hi everyone.

I'm ordering a pair of MTO EGs and don't like any of the suede options. Wondering if I indeed have all the brown suede swatches in front of me:

Mocha
Mink
Mole
Tobacco
Nutmeg
Mushroom
Coffee
Oyster

Anyone know if I'm missing something?

There is also Clove; a reddish brown. One of my all-time favorites.

post #25362 of 28910
A day at the office
post #25363 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

A day at the office

Trade offices?
post #25364 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

A day at the office

 

No black captoe ?

post #25365 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStart View Post
 

 

No black captoe ?

No black anything 

other than some long lost wedding shoes which I've chosen to forget 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy