or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1519

post #22771 of 28916

Can someone (size 8UK) buy that Dover for sale on b/s?  I don't know if it's still available, I had to look away.  

post #22772 of 28916
Well trying out my luck this weekend with my normal 8.5UK size on 890 & 606 last. And hope fully same size will work on 82 last doak & suede galaway.
post #22773 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

Different lasts are different. The 890 will have more room across the vamp than the 82. Overall, the 82 is narrower than the 890.

But beware of comparing shoes in one last to boots in another. Boot lasts run wider than shoe lasts of the same type. Thus, a boot on the 82 will have a shade more room than a shoe on the 82. YMMV.

Did not know that...thanks!
post #22774 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Did not know that...thanks!

Yes, my Galway definitely fit different than my other 82 Last shoes.
post #22775 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Yes, my Galway definitely fit different than my other 82 Last shoes.

Just curious because the Paris EG store told me I wear an 8UK but several months ago I bought a 8.5UK in Shannon's for winter.
post #22776 of 28916

Yes, I think EG staffs have a tendency to advise for a snug fit

post #22777 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStart View Post

Yes, I think EG staffs have a tendency to advise for a snug fit

According to EG our friends across the pond prefer to wear the shoes/boots more snug than here in the US.
post #22778 of 28916
Could someone compare and contrast the fit of 888 vs 82 for me please, particularly around the forefoot and toe area.

I have an MTO order on hold at the moment because I'm worried that the 6.5D that I used for my last order might have too much space and am considering amending the size to 6.5C. I'm a bit nervous about doing this and unfortunately EG don't have any stock 888 shoes in 6.5C to try on but I did go into the store to try what I think was the closest I could find, a Chelsea on 82 in 6.5C. I'd like to understand whether an 888 in the same size and width is likely to be more restrictive, less restrictive or about the same around the toe area and joint area compared to the 82 that I tried on.

From looking at them visually in the shop the 82 seems to narrow slightly more sharply towards the front than the 888 does so my guess is that the 888 might have slightly more toe space or maybe the same but probably not less than the 82 that I tried on but I'm guessing that there are a few people here who have shoes on both the 82 and 888 lasts so could probably give me some really good feedback.

- Julian
post #22779 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianL View Post

Could someone compare and contrast the fit of 888 vs 82 for me please, particularly around the forefoot and toe area.

I have an MTO order on hold at the moment because I'm worried that the 6.5D that I used for my last order might have too much space and am considering amending the size to 6.5C. I'm a bit nervous about doing this and unfortunately EG don't have any stock 888 shoes in 6.5C to try on but I did go into the store to try what I think was the closest I could find, a Chelsea on 82 in 6.5C. I'd like to understand whether an 888 in the same size and width is likely to be more restrictive, less restrictive or about the same around the toe area and joint area compared to the 82 that I tried on.

From looking at them visually in the shop the 82 seems to narrow slightly more sharply towards the front than the 888 does so my guess is that the 888 might have slightly more toe space or maybe the same but probably not less than the 82 that I tried on but I'm guessing that there are a few people here who have shoes on both the 82 and 888 lasts so could probably give me some really good feedback.

- Julian

Your inquiry highlights the importance of trying on shoes whenever possible. Good job trying on the closest thing to what you want that EG had available. What did EG advise on width fitting for an 888 compared to the 82? Their advice would be valuable. You can always call/email their sales department directly for more info. How did the 82 last in C width feel?

The 888 and 82 (and even 890) are in the same last family and are slightly different variations on a theme--an aggressively chiseled/tapered/shapely toe. Overall, the 888 and 82 are quite similar in fit. In my experience (yes I have multiple pairs on 888 and 82), there is less room in the chiseled toe and vamp of the 888 than the 82, but this is directly influenced by individual foot shape, width at ball, and instep. In general, I think you risk having less (possibly not enough) room for your pinky toe by choosing a narrower width fitting on the 888. Why do you think a D-width 888 will have too much space?
post #22780 of 28916
It is worth noting the 82 is 1/16 of inch longer than the 888. However that doesn't necessarily translate to usable space either. I really notice very little in terms aside from a little extra room in the toebox on the 82 in terms of length. I really cannot think of too many people who take different sizes in the two hoever as always YMMV.
post #22781 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

Your inquiry highlights the importance of trying on shoes whenever possible. Good job trying on the closest thing to what you want that EG had available. What did EG advise on width fitting for an 888 compared to the 82? Their advice would be valuable. You can always call/email their sales department directly for more info. How did the 82 last in C width feel?

The 888 and 82 (and even 890) are in the same last family and are slightly different variations on a theme--an aggressively chiseled/tapered/shapely toe. Overall, the 888 and 82 are quite similar in fit. In my experience (yes I have multiple pairs on 888 and 82), there is less room in the chiseled toe and vamp of the 888 than the 82, but this is directly influenced by individual foot shape, width at ball, and instep. In general, I think you risk having less (possibly not enough) room for your pinky toe by choosing a narrower width fitting on the 888. Why do you think a D-width 888 will have too much space?

Thanks for the reply. I did ask EG the question and they were pretty non-committal on the difference between 82 and 888 width. I suspect that it's as you say, it can depend so much on individual foot shape.

The reason I think (in fact I'm pretty confident in saying that I know) that my 888 D width has too much room is that the space above my forefoot allowed the crease on my Shannon's to develop to the point where it drew blood, a lot of blood, from where it cut into my toes. I took them back to EG and they fitted a full sock and it helped enormously, it felt like a whole different shoe, but I've also always had heel slip and hence started thinking that maybe a drop to the C width for my next order would achieve the same thing as the full sock and also narrow the heel a bit which would certainly be a benefit. As another experiment I asked EG to cut me another loose pair of full socks for my 6.5Ds and have done a fair bit of walking in them with both the glued-in full socks and the loose full socks on top of those so basically a 6.5D with double full socks in each shoe and that wasn't causing me any issues.

It is good to try shoes but it's not always so easy because the shoes are obviously brand new and I'm always a bit uncertain how they will break in and even hanging around the shop for 20 minutes or so still doesn't give a great deal of time to really find out. The 82/6.5C that I tried in the shop did feel snugger than my double-full-sock 888/6.5D but they were absolutely brand new not broken in like my 888/6.5Ds and I didn't feel any undue pressure anywhere, just very snug.

- Julian
post #22782 of 28916
I think the fellow who writes the Permanent Style blog wrote a piece on EG lasts and experimenting in width and lengths. It's worth tracking down because he mentions the problem of the crease and captoe cutting into his foot. Best of luck. Cheers.
post #22783 of 28916
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

I think the fellow who writes the Permanent Style blog wrote a piece on EG lasts and experimenting in width and lengths. It's worth tracking down because he mentions the problem of the crease and captoe cutting into his foot. Best of luck. Cheers.

That would make some interesting reading. Hopefully someone is able to track that down and share the link.
post #22784 of 28916
post #22785 of 28916

Thank you sir.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy