or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1514

post #22696 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf009 View Post


This post from a week or so ago garnered a good amount of attention. I have a similar issue on which I'd like to get the group's opinion. Below are the heel counters of a pair of DOAK Dovers and DOAK/CC Galways that are new. These are my first pairs of EGs and I am by no means a leather or fine shoe expert. Does this look like a finishing issue that can be fixed with some nourishing cream or does it look like some damaged leather?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

 

I Think this is damaged shoes and boots.

post #22697 of 28954
Looks like cracked leather finishing that could be touched up fast with renovateur or natural color wax
post #22698 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf009 View Post

This post from a week or so ago garnered a good amount of attention. I have a similar issue on which I'd like to get the group's opinion. Below are the heel counters of a pair of DOAK Dovers and DOAK/CC Galways that are new. These are my first pairs of EGs and I am by no means a leather or fine shoe expert. Does this look like a finishing issue that can be fixed with some nourishing cream or does it look like some damaged leather?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.



Return them for an exchange if it is bothering you a lot, not sure who your retailer is but this is a type of ( subs shoes) that I would expect to pick up from the factory sale. Although a few creases on the leather really does not bother me if I paid half price for them but if you paid full price then have them exchanged for something else.
post #22699 of 28954

Again and again??.  I just ordered my pair of Dovers. If they come in such a condition I will return them no matter is the cracked leather or  finishing. Too much money to have a small single flaw.:angry:

post #22700 of 28954
My guess is cracked finishing. Use wax or Reno (!!!) to get it fixed.
post #22701 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

hoodog - You are so mean!

I know, I know. Meanness is kind of a trademark of mine. wink.gif

Hope everything is well by the way, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan88 View Post

Thanks Niklas,

202 :-)

Niklas?? That's not me. I think you have me confused with some other Swede. smile.gif
post #22702 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodog View Post
Niklas?? That's not me. I think you have me confused with some other Swede. smile.gif

Oops!
:D

post #22703 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

I don't own EG, but I've more or less ruined a pair of crust leather shoes by using Renovateur for a few months. I think it was dddress that said it strips the finish, as seen on the rag, and that has been my experience as well. I've managed to darken them again with a mix of brown and black cream/wax, but the gentle antiquing or mottled effect is all together gone.

I use Bick4 now and I've never experienced any problems with seeing the factory finish come off on the rag. I purchased another pair with the same crust leather in the same color, and there was no color on the rag after using Bick4. I personally won't use Renovateur again, and especially not on new shoes. I will use Bick4 on new and old leather.

Bick4 works great against those small water marks, works for me. It's a great product in many regards.
post #22704 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

I don't own EG, but I've more or less ruined a pair of crust leather shoes by using Renovateur for a few months. I think it was dddress that said it strips the finish, as seen on the rag, and that has been my experience as well. I've managed to darken them again with a mix of brown and black cream/wax, but the gentle antiquing or mottled effect is all together gone.

I use Bick4 now and I've never experienced any problems with seeing the factory finish come off on the rag. I purchased another pair with the same crust leather in the same color, and there was no color on the rag after using Bick4. I personally won't use Renovateur again, and especially not on new shoes. I will use Bick4 on new and old leather.

 

What do you mean by "using Renovateur for a few months"?  How many applications are you describing in that time frame? It certainly sounds like more than one or two. I might use reno once, maybe twice a year max (and not on brand new shoes) - how often do you feel the need to apply a cleaner to your shoes?  I have never ever had any issue using reno on any crust leather from any manufacturer.  I suspect that often times the problem is over-use, either in amount of product or frequency of application.  Or both.

post #22705 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamf009 View Post

This post from a week or so ago garnered a good amount of attention. I have a similar issue on which I'd like to get the group's opinion. Below are the heel counters of a pair of DOAK Dovers and DOAK/CC Galways that are new. These are my first pairs of EGs and I am by no means a leather or fine shoe expert. Does this look like a finishing issue that can be fixed with some nourishing cream or does it look like some damaged leather?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

To me both seem to be leather problem and not cracked finish (Galway less pronunced)

Where I can find Bick4 online in Europe? (curious to try it)
post #22706 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

To me both seem to be leather problem and not cracked finish (Galway less pronunced)

Where I can find Bick4 online in Europe? (curious to try it)
skoaktiebolaget
post #22707 of 28954
Does everyone here only take care of their shoes themselves? Anyone trust any local shoe shining "experts" to shine their shoes for them?
post #22708 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Again and again??.  I just ordered my pair of Dovers. If they come in such a condition I will return them no matter is the cracked leather or  finishing. Too much money to have a small single flaw.angry.gif




If there are problems you need to take this up with the retailer this has nothing to do with EG unless of course if bought from them directly? In any manufacturing there will sometimes be mistakes and the faulty goods are then passed on as (seconds) at a discount. What I fail to understand If the buyer can spot the problem how can the retailer sell them in the first place? surely they should have checked the item before selling them on!

I may just be lucky but I have never had any problems with EG shoes and I have been buying them for over thirty years!
post #22709 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaconne View Post

Does everyone here only take care of their shoes themselves? Anyone trust any local shoe shining "experts" to shine their shoes for them?



For me one of the joys of wearing such shoes is looking after them myself!
post #22710 of 28954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaconne View Post

Does everyone here only take care of their shoes themselves? Anyone trust any local shoe shining "experts" to shine their shoes for them?

I do everything myself...It's somewhat part of the hobby's ritual......Although...When I'm traveling and staying in a 5* I'll often take advantage of the "free" service....but even then I tend to give them my "lesser" Aldens, C&Js, etc. ....  I've even tossed them a couple pairs of shell (allthough I was nervous doing so)  and left  instructions....(do not use any polish...brush each shoe 10 minutes...etc...).....but all my "higher end" shoes have always stayed under my care.....even on vacation...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy