or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 1498

post #22456 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post
 

I've never used any water repellent product on any of my shell...  To my knowledge (and experience) shelll is water resistant  on its own...and most products damage its natural properties....

 

Shell is ndeed very water resistant - in terms of resisting penetration from water - and I would also be hesitant to use a water repellant product on it.

 

But the impact on aesthetics is a different story, IMO.  Here, shell lags behind both calf and suede.  Waxy water spots and bumpy welts are often the result when shell gets wet - and they are a royal PITA to remove.  I have found that a light coat of paste wax helps mitigate against this at least to a small degree, and does no harm to the shell.

post #22457 of 28910

Hard to argue with RogerP...but....I'lll toss a couple points out there and see if anyone agrees...

 

Yes...water welts are a pita to get out...In my experience...the older/more used the shoe...the less it welts in the rain.and different shell reacts differently to the rain

 

Water welts are usually most apparant when it is a light drizzle....I avoid shelll during these little fits...but a good storm doesn't bother it at all as the whole shoe welts...

 

Using a wet (not moist) towel and letting the water sit a bit on the shell helps with the effect mentioned above.

 

and when alll else fails...grab the horsehair brush and sit down to the evening news....lol...

 

as to paste wax on shell...while I have no hardcore scientific experience on the matter, in my previous life as a member elsewhere, you could have mentioned child sacrifice and gotten less of a negative reaction...lol...but again...you'd probably know better than most of then anyways....perhaps I'lll give it a shot one of these days....

post #22458 of 28910

^^^ The first time I got caught in the rain in my Carmina navy shell wholecuts I was utterly dismayed at the result - waxy spots all over both shoes that took hours of brushing and buffing to remove.

 

As a rule I try to reserve my shell shoes for sunny days whatever the season.  But if there is a risk of rain or snow, A light coat of wax seem to do the trick of keeping the water from forming spots until I can get indoors and give them a quick wipe.

 

Those wholecuts have been spotless since and are holding up great with fairly frequent wear.

 

I can understand why a heavy water sealing product that penetrates the material might be bad for the shell - but I can't see how paste wax could be.  It just sits on the surface.

post #22459 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post
 

Hard to argue with RogerP...but....I'lll toss a couple points out there and see if anyone agrees...

 

Yes...water welts are a pita to get out...In my experience...the older/more used the shoe...the less it welts in the rain.and different shell reacts differently to the rain

 

Water welts are usually most apparant when it is a light drizzle....I avoid shelll during these little fits...but a good storm doesn't bother it at all as the whole shoe welts...

 

Using a wet (not moist) towel and letting the water sit a bit on the shell helps with the effect mentioned above.

 

and when alll else fails...grab the horsehair brush and sit down to the evening news....lol...

 

as to paste wax on shell...while I have no hardcore scientific experience on the matter, in my previous life as a member elsewhere, you could have mentioned child sacrifice and gotten less of a negative reaction...lol...but again...you'd probably know better than most of then anyways....perhaps I'lll give it a shot one of these days....

The problem is which ones will and which ones won't. Frankly its just easier for me to avoid the whole mess by not even wearing any shell when it rains in the first place.​

post #22460 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
 

The problem is which ones will and which ones won't. Frankly its just easier for me to avoid the whole mess by not even wearing any shell when it rains in the first place.​

Yes...indeed...that should take care of the problem....just as long as you're a better weather forecaster than the local guy on channel 5...lol


Edited by justonemore - 10/10/15 at 10:33am
post #22461 of 28910
You fellows. Shell does very well in the rain and is resilient. Darker colors are always better suited due to potential spotting and welt issues, which can be take time to eliminate. Then again, I completely understand wanting to baby cherished and expensive shoes.

My suggestion is to do what makes you happy. But by all means wear them!
post #22462 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

^^^ The first time I got caught in the rain in my Carmina navy shell wholecuts I was utterly dismayed at the result - waxy spots all over both shoes that took hours of brushing and buffing to remove.

 

.

 

 

Ha...Indeed...It can be quite a shocking experience for the uninitiated....and for some reason I doubt such a term applies to you....

post #22463 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

You fellows. Shell does very well in the rain and is resilient. Darker colors are always better suited due to potential spotting and welt issues, which can be take time to eliminate. Then again, I completely understand wanting to baby cherished and expensive shoes.

My suggestion is to do what makes you happy. But by all means wear them!

 

 

I don't think anyone is advocating "babying" and cherishing their shoes versus not wanting to spend hours brushing out welts....which is  understandable ...I do have a single pair in my collection that I keep "aside" for strict business or more formal events...but other than that...anything pretty much goes....

post #22464 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post


Is your Galway on the 64F or E last? I found the F last to be a bit loose but the 64E is just perfect.
My heels were not even touching the heel cup on the Viberg X Nigel Cabourn boots I had hence had to sell them.
I suppose it all depends on the shape of our feet but most of my shoes and boots fit fine at the heel it is the toe area that I have a problem with!

 

My Galways are 64E and fit pretty much perfectly, aside from what I mentioned, that a stiffer, higher heel counter would work better for my feet.  It's always about personal preference and mine has to do with the fact that the ball of my foot is about normal width but my heels are quite narrow.

post #22465 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

You fellows. Shell does very well in the rain and is resilient. Darker colors are always better suited due to potential spotting and welt issues, which can be take time to eliminate. Then again, I completely understand wanting to baby cherished and expensive shoes.

My suggestion is to do what makes you happy. But by all means wear them!

 

 

Rest assured, I do wear my shell shoes and boots.  And for me it's not a question of babying them because of the cost - I routinely wear my calf and suede in all weather conditions because it takes little effort to restore them to premium condition.

 

It's just not so with shell - so I choose to wear them on dry days only.  This might be an issue if I lived in Seattle, but I don't.  I have plenty of opportunity to wear shell year round as it is.

 

For me it goes like this:

 

Sunny day - any shoes, but try to work in the shell!

 

Light rain and snow - calf and suede.

 

Blizzard / monsoon - CXL / Zug

post #22466 of 28910
Can anyone comment on the fit of the Chelsea Boots?

Newmarket & Camden.

Are these styles available in F fittings?

I wear a 9.5 F fitting in the Dundee.
post #22467 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

Can anyone comment on the fit of the Chelsea Boots?

Newmarket & Camden.

Are these styles available in F fittings?

I wear a 9.5 F fitting in the Dundee.

No actual experience, but I can't imagine they would fit any different than any other shoe or boot. I would think it would mainly depend on the Last and give on the material used and whether it is lined or unlined.
post #22468 of 28910
Give me a month and I'll let you know fing02[1].gif
post #22469 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike_hiking_boots View Post

Can anyone comment on the fit of the Chelsea Boots?

Newmarket & Camden.

Are these styles available in F fittings?

I wear a 9.5 F fitting in the Dundee.

I have Newmarkets in 11.5/12 F on the 888 last....So yes...At least the Nemarkets come in "F itting"...I'm not sure if it's a fit issue....but I prefer them, for for regular daily use versus heavy use.....We I took them with me on vacation to Japan and after a heavy day of walking and carrying kids, they seemed to have left my the left side of my left foot a bit pinched and sore...and I don't remember that happening with any of the other pair in my collection (esp. after breaking them in)...but....I don't usually take any of my dressier shoes as alll day heavy duty shoes either...Part of me says that they are slightly too narrow in the toe box...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by justonemore - 10/11/15 at 7:17am
post #22470 of 28910
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemore View Post

I have Newmarkets in 11.5/12 F on the 888 last....So yes...At least the Nemarkets come in "F itting"...I'm not sure if it's a fit issue....but I prefer them, for for regular daily use versus heavy use.....We I took them with me on vacation to Japan and after a heavy day of walking and carrying kids, they seemed to have left my the left side of my left foot a bit pinched and sore...and I don't remember that happening with any of the other pair in my collection (esp. after breaking them in)...but....I don't usually take any of my dressier shoes as alll day heavy duty shoes either...Part of me says that they are slightly too narrow in the toe box...

Ok so these are on the 888, so do you have anything else on the 888? If so do you find whatever else you have on the 888 to be as tough tin the toe box after.a whole day as well. My point being that the way the OP originally stated his question it's as if he expects Chelsea's to fit differently just because they are Chelsea's. Now this maybe the case, but I would expect the fit to be more dependent on the Last and your foot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy