Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by Cleav, 3/5/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by SYSTEM, 5/25/12
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEdward Green Westministertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 5/25/12
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by Cleav, 3/5/15
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- RARE Edward Green Asprey 202 Last Monk Boot uk11.5E US12D Box Burgundy Delapre Last post on 7/5/15 at 1:04am in Buying and Selling
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:24 pm in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care GuideLast edited: 8/10/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 126post #1877 of 302131/1/13 at 9:45pmpost #1878 of 302131/1/13 at 10:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by JoeGat
We already know the other "horrid" shoes are flawed. Sending a flawed pair of shoes to an SF member for review somehow feels unfair to Edward Green.
If we are going to "bench test" a supplier, well then we should bring to the task some measure of fair play, at least.
Why don't we place a brand new order through an SF approved retailer, like "Leaves" perhaps, or any of the other retailers. We could closely monitor the entire process, from selection, specification, pricing, communication with the supplier, everything, right through to accepting delivery and reviewing the product, which would need to be monitored objectively.
Odds are good that Edward Green would, in all likelihood, exonerate themselves, I would have to accept the embarrassment of defeat and a charity organization would receive new shoes or a cash equivalent, everyone wins, including the SF community, be they EG enthusiasts or not.
Although I do rarely purchase their product, of course I have no objection to purchasing a pair of their shoes or boots, so long as they don't insult my intelligence by palming off sub standard work as superior quality, or, "lasted trees" which are not actually lasted. I have owned Galways before, and no, I don't think a new pair of Galways is such a bad idea.
It would be fun doing a few MTO and Top Drawers, whether the purchase is successful or not, who cares? It is simply an innocent wager and an opportunity for a good supplier to show us exactly what stuff they really are made of.
Unless of course the exercise makes us all nervous, in which case I will move quietly along and reminisce about the good old days, like how it used to be 20 years ago.
I might start a new thread for the exercise, but I would first need to find an EG enthusiast willing to act as an honest adjudicator.
Actually, starting a new thread is a great idea. Why not do that now? No need to wait. You will likely reach a wider audience as most readers of this thread are already EG fans.post #1879 of 302131/2/13 at 12:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Depends on the factory really...if you think about what separates a good shoe from a bad one it's only attention to detail (finishing capabilities, quality of craftsmanship etc.) and leather quality. So any factory can get any leather so long as they are willing to buy it, so that just leaves the craftsmanship of the workers and whether or not they can do hand work. For example, Cheaney can do quite a varying level of shoe, something that I believe to be of quite low quality all the way up to their new Imperial collection which I find to be near a C&J handgrade and obviously everything in between......And then to top it off, it will depend on who is doing quality control. So you could find that a brand could have their shoes done by a factory that otherwise peddles garbage but makes them create a quality product based on all of their specifications..... I also find that Italian factories tend to be a bit more varying, where they will create and sell garbage for the sake of money but could also make a very nice shoe if they tried....English factories I believe are a bit more strict in what they will produce.... I hope that this answered your question...
Thanks, J. That's been my understanding of general garment manufacturing as well, which is why I tend to not put too much stock into information about where something may have been made. Though, some of the "rebadged" shoes stores sell sometimes do seem to be identical to the original models ...post #1880 of 302131/2/13 at 1:50amQuote:
Mr Car is his cousin btw., personally Rollig was alwys very casual and easygoing, he has more himing shoes than SCs actually and Zonkey Boot seems to be a bit more fullfilling on a personal level.
Many Zonkey Boots boots resemble the the more casual SC boots, the model (forgot the number) that hasnt any machine stitch at all is almost idenditc, they are all rather high end casual shoes than dress shoes.
Going to EG in Jermyn St to pick up a resole now btw., will do some quality control!post #1881 of 302131/2/13 at 2:22ampost #1882 of 302131/2/13 at 3:23amQuote:
I am a reliable US9D. I have ordered a pair of Chelseas in 8.5E/9D.
Will have them tomorrow and I'll then edit this post to reflect how they fit.
I hate returning shoes....and at the end of the day I'd rather have shoes that are a tad looser (can wear with insole) that painfully tight (a constant reminder of poor judgement).post #1883 of 302131/2/13 at 6:14amQuote:
No right or wrong answer here.
We all have different feet, and the poster should order two sizes if he is able (or try them on in-store)..
I know of very few people who consistently size down a full size from US-TTS when buying EG. JL or C&J? Yes (full size). But EG? No (1/2 size). But at the end of the day just get what works no matter the size .....post #1884 of 302131/2/13 at 6:17ampost #1885 of 302131/2/13 at 8:56amQuote:
It is an English D. I have confirmed this with EG, and I have a pair with "D" width.post #1886 of 302131/2/13 at 9:00ampost #1887 of 302131/2/13 at 9:23ampost #1888 of 302131/2/13 at 9:28ampost #1889 of 302131/2/13 at 9:29ampost #1890 of 302131/2/13 at 11:57am
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 3 minutes ago
- › Hong Kong tailor Edward Tam "E.Italian" 4 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › New basic casual shirts 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › Is this a four-season shoe? 13 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 15 minutes ago
- › Bracelets For Men - How To Do It Properly. 22 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 30 minutes ago
- › Cigars 38 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...