Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by Cleav, 3/5/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by SYSTEM, 5/25/12
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEdward Green Westministertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 5/25/12
- categoryPull On Boots Chelsea Bootstagged by Cleav, 3/5/15
- topicShoestagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on Yesterday at 11:58 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Styleforum 2014 Holiday Charity Auctions - 100% of proceeds go to support the Ronald McDonald... Last post on 4/2/15 at 3:45pm in Classic Menswear
- RARE Edward Green Asprey 202 Last Monk Boot uk11.5E US12D Box Burgundy Delapre Last post on 7/5/15 at 1:04am in Marketplace
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 1:49 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 126
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1877 of 206001/1/13 at 9:45pmpost #1878 of 206001/1/13 at 10:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by JoeGat
We already know the other "horrid" shoes are flawed. Sending a flawed pair of shoes to an SF member for review somehow feels unfair to Edward Green.
If we are going to "bench test" a supplier, well then we should bring to the task some measure of fair play, at least.
Why don't we place a brand new order through an SF approved retailer, like "Leaves" perhaps, or any of the other retailers. We could closely monitor the entire process, from selection, specification, pricing, communication with the supplier, everything, right through to accepting delivery and reviewing the product, which would need to be monitored objectively.
Odds are good that Edward Green would, in all likelihood, exonerate themselves, I would have to accept the embarrassment of defeat and a charity organization would receive new shoes or a cash equivalent, everyone wins, including the SF community, be they EG enthusiasts or not.
Although I do rarely purchase their product, of course I have no objection to purchasing a pair of their shoes or boots, so long as they don't insult my intelligence by palming off sub standard work as superior quality, or, "lasted trees" which are not actually lasted. I have owned Galways before, and no, I don't think a new pair of Galways is such a bad idea.
It would be fun doing a few MTO and Top Drawers, whether the purchase is successful or not, who cares? It is simply an innocent wager and an opportunity for a good supplier to show us exactly what stuff they really are made of.
Unless of course the exercise makes us all nervous, in which case I will move quietly along and reminisce about the good old days, like how it used to be 20 years ago.
I might start a new thread for the exercise, but I would first need to find an EG enthusiast willing to act as an honest adjudicator.
Actually, starting a new thread is a great idea. Why not do that now? No need to wait. You will likely reach a wider audience as most readers of this thread are already EG fans.post #1879 of 206001/2/13 at 12:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
Depends on the factory really...if you think about what separates a good shoe from a bad one it's only attention to detail (finishing capabilities, quality of craftsmanship etc.) and leather quality. So any factory can get any leather so long as they are willing to buy it, so that just leaves the craftsmanship of the workers and whether or not they can do hand work. For example, Cheaney can do quite a varying level of shoe, something that I believe to be of quite low quality all the way up to their new Imperial collection which I find to be near a C&J handgrade and obviously everything in between......And then to top it off, it will depend on who is doing quality control. So you could find that a brand could have their shoes done by a factory that otherwise peddles garbage but makes them create a quality product based on all of their specifications..... I also find that Italian factories tend to be a bit more varying, where they will create and sell garbage for the sake of money but could also make a very nice shoe if they tried....English factories I believe are a bit more strict in what they will produce.... I hope that this answered your question...
Thanks, J. That's been my understanding of general garment manufacturing as well, which is why I tend to not put too much stock into information about where something may have been made. Though, some of the "rebadged" shoes stores sell sometimes do seem to be identical to the original models ...post #1880 of 206001/2/13 at 1:50amQuote:
Mr Car is his cousin btw., personally Rollig was alwys very casual and easygoing, he has more himing shoes than SCs actually and Zonkey Boot seems to be a bit more fullfilling on a personal level.
Many Zonkey Boots boots resemble the the more casual SC boots, the model (forgot the number) that hasnt any machine stitch at all is almost idenditc, they are all rather high end casual shoes than dress shoes.
Going to EG in Jermyn St to pick up a resole now btw., will do some quality control!post #1881 of 206001/2/13 at 2:22ampost #1882 of 206001/2/13 at 3:23amQuote:
I am a reliable US9D. I have ordered a pair of Chelseas in 8.5E/9D.
Will have them tomorrow and I'll then edit this post to reflect how they fit.
I hate returning shoes....and at the end of the day I'd rather have shoes that are a tad looser (can wear with insole) that painfully tight (a constant reminder of poor judgement).post #1883 of 206001/2/13 at 6:14amQuote:
No right or wrong answer here.
We all have different feet, and the poster should order two sizes if he is able (or try them on in-store)..
I know of very few people who consistently size down a full size from US-TTS when buying EG. JL or C&J? Yes (full size). But EG? No (1/2 size). But at the end of the day just get what works no matter the size .....post #1884 of 206001/2/13 at 6:17ampost #1885 of 206001/2/13 at 8:56amQuote:
It is an English D. I have confirmed this with EG, and I have a pair with "D" width.post #1886 of 206001/2/13 at 9:00ampost #1887 of 206001/2/13 at 9:23ampost #1888 of 206001/2/13 at 9:28ampost #1889 of 206001/2/13 at 9:29am
- Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Aero J107 Brown Steerhide sz38 1 minute ago
- › StyleForum Searches eBay For You! - Week of August 2 1 minute ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Phillip II 10.5UK BNIB Paris Brown 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 6 minutes ago
- › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn) 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...