or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy - Page 10

post #136 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post


I don't think they do. Unless I'm mistaken, those are on the blobby/classic 202 last. As a narrow-heeled EG wearer, I've found the 82, 88 and 888 are all noticeably smaller in the heel than the 202 last and its derivatives.


They do. 

 

And just from the pictures in this thread you can easily observe the QA of its machine lasting process.  Note sometimes how heel cup height is different even within the same pair of shoes judging by the amount of lasted trees peaking out from the heel cup.

 

I like my 82 lasted EG, but its heel cup is almost as wide as my GG06-Wide G&G and definitely much wider than my 7000/8000 JLs.

post #137 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

Taking Jerrybrowne's lead I wanted to share my collection. Loved his Dover's in suede. As I said earlier - probably my next MTO. I am happy to hear any ones thoughts on where my collection should go next. I have on order a pair of Cadogan's in mink suede and Ullswater in Mahogany country calf. I do all of my MTO's through Leffot - highly recommended. Thanks guys and enjoy.
1. Canterbury in Black calf on 888 - First pick-up from right here on SF.
IMG_3357.jpg
2. Asquith in Dark Oak calf on 888 - First MTO
IMG_3355.jpg
3. Westminster in Mahogony country calf on 888 - MTO
IMG_3354.jpg
4. Banbury in Brown suede on 89 - Thanks SF
IMG_3360.jpg
5. Wells in Dark Oak calf on 82 - Thanks SF
IMG_3353.jpg
6. Elmsley in Burgundy calf on 888 - Thanks SF
IMG_3352.jpg
7. Frome in Burgundy calf on 82 - MTO
IMG_3351.jpg
8. Dover in Walnut country calf on 606 - Leffot
IMG_3356.jpg
9. Galway in Dark Oak and Walnut country calf on 82 - Leffot
IMG_3349.jpg
10. Westminster in Navy Blue Crup on 888 - Leffot Third Anniversary Shoe
IMG_3358.jpg
11. Sandringham in Cognac Crup on 202 - Leather Soul
IMG_3359.jpg
12. Beaulieu in Dark Oak calf on 888 - MTO
IMG_3350.jpg

I'm speechless. That's a sweet looking collection. I might have to get the Wells in Dark Oak...
post #138 of 8325

+1

post #139 of 8325
Is Edward Green the only source for lasted shoe trees now? Ralph Lauren is selling non-lasted cedar trees separately.















_______________________________

Wanted: RLPL Grant/ Edward Green Oundle in Dark Oak, size 10.5
post #140 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoTheKillerPimp View Post

Is Edward Green the only source for lasted shoe trees now? Ralph Lauren is selling non-lasted cedar trees separately.
_______________________________
Wanted: RLPL Grant/ Edward Green Oundle in Dark Oak, size 10.5

Newb, the trees RL is selling are based on the EG 202 last which pretty much all EG shoes are based on. I have many pairs.

If you look at the gent's post upthread with the many pairs of treed EGs you will notice the RL trees are identical save the EG badge and knob (RL trees have an RL branded knob)
post #141 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post



They do. 

And just from the pictures in this thread you can easily observe the QA of its machine lasting process.  Note sometimes how heel cup height is different even within the same pair of shoes judging by the amount of lasted trees peaking out from the heel cup.

I like my 82 lasted EG, but its heel cup is almost as wide as my GG06-Wide G&G and definitely much wider than my 7000/8000 JLs.

Interesting. I agree on height - it can be variable. And I have a nagging suspicion that EG quality control is not quite as good now as it was in the fairly recent past. But my observation on width is based on having annoyingly narrow heels, and on possessing 4 pairs of 82s, 1 pr of 888s, 3 pairs of 202s and 11 pairs of 88s, acquired over the last 20 years.

Over the years, I have tried on but not bought many pairs of 202s and 606s because of heel slip (also why I have never bought JLPs). The 202s I have bought were I thought oddities that had been made on the narrow side as part of the usual variation in manufacturing tolerances (and were on sale: I much prefer the "8" lasts, in particular the 88).

So I have always believed the heels on the "8" lasts were narrower. If they are not, then there is some other property of those lasts that stops my heels slipping that perhaps only DFW can explain. But to be honest, they all do seem to fit tighter on my heels than their 202 brethren.

I'll try to remember to ask the EG folk about this next time I'm in the shop.
post #142 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Newb, the trees RL is selling are based on the EG 202 last which pretty much all EG shoes are based on. I have many pairs.
If you look at the gent's post upthread with the many pairs of treed EGs you will notice the RL trees are identical save the EG badge and knob (RL trees have an RL branded knob)

+1
RL trees are a very economical way to get what are essentially lasted trees for most EGs for the reasons stated above.
post #143 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

+1
RL trees are a very economical way to get what are essentially lasted trees for most EGs for the reasons stated above.

For the 202. Any ideas for 888 shoes?
post #144 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbuff View Post

For the 202. Any ideas for 888 shoes?

888 is a different story. If you want true lasted trees for 888 you need to go EG. RIght is EG 888 tree, left is RL. The angle of the shot magnifies the differences between the two trees, but it's there nonetheless.

4eed6488.jpg
6f94e998.jpg
dddc55f4.jpg
post #145 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbuff View Post

For the 202. Any ideas for 888 shoes?

BTW, Nore is right about the 202- I'm told it is the last from which all other EG lasts were derived. I don't think it's a big deal to use RL trees (based on the 202) in EG shoes made on any last.
post #146 of 8325
Funny, my 888 trees have a squared toe.
post #147 of 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

888 is a different story. If you want true lasted trees for 888 you need to go EG. RIght is EG 888 tree, left is RL. The angle of the shot magnifies the differences between the two trees, but it's there nonetheless.
4eed6488.jpg
6f94e998.jpg
dddc55f4.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Funny, my 888 trees have a squared toe.

So are the mahogany trees that came with 888 last RLPL shoes 888 lasted or not?
post #148 of 8325
I'm always a bit confused by this because people talk as if the 202 has been in use for eons. But wsn't the 201 the precursor to the 202? Which would make the 202, at best, a last that came along in the mid to late 1980s?

Bengal-Stripe? AlanC? Well-kept? Anyone? Bueller?
post #149 of 8325
Some quick comparison shots I just took:

202 888
263

888 tree
263

202 tree
263

888 202 trees
263

82 with 202 tree
263
post #150 of 8325
After searching, I came across this post which has great info on the genealogy of EG lasts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Here's an explanation of the Edward Green lasts by Tony Gaziano. For those that don't know, he designed the 888 and 82 lasts, and certainly worked extensively with the others. This is taken from the London Lounge Site posted November 7, 2005. I hope this is OK to post it here, since I don't know how to link directly to it.



"Hi Guys

Just to clarify, the 606, 202 are the same family and the 888,82 last are the same family, the last that was produced for Fosters was the 88 last and the 32,33 last were the parents of the 202,606.

so the EG last order goes like this.

first the 32 round toe last
second the 33 square toe version of the 32
third the 202, adapted 32 to fit better
fourth the 606 square toe version of 202
fifth 808 elegant square toe based on the 88 but did not fit well
sixth 89 developed for R.Lauren as a better fitting 808
seventh 888 bespoke looking last developed from 202 but longer and narrower toe box
eighth 82 round toe based on 888

ther have been other lasts produced by EG but mostly for other customers, not EG core range.

there are also numerous slip-on last, but there development history is not as striaght forward.


Tony"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy