or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe help required - Grenson
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe help required - Grenson

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Looking to expand my shoe collection with some decent, but not too expensive pairs.

 

Grenson were recommended as a possibility and seem to be reasonably priced.

 

But...just had a quick look on ebay out of curiosity and sellers are punting brand-new, boxed Grenson's for £80? No defects mentioned, what's the catch?

 

Cheers.

post #2 of 9
Indian Made. No longer English.
post #3 of 9
They have several lines. I believe the higher end lines, like the ones they make for Paul Stuart, are still made in Perfidious Albion.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMarr View Post

Looking to expand my shoe collection with some decent, but not too expensive pairs.

Grenson were recommended as a possibility and seem to be reasonably priced.

But...just had a quick look on ebay out of curiosity and sellers are punting brand-new, boxed Grenson's for £80? No defects mentioned, what's the catch?

Cheers.

Some are Grenson Masterpiece made for Paul Stuart (Stuart's Choice) Men's clothing store. The shoes are high end quality.
Most had retailed in the $600-$800 range. Ebayer's got them for $50 - $180 and resold them for much more.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by habanos View Post

Indian Made. No longer English.

Many on ebay are english made
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post

Some are Grenson Masterpiece made for Paul Stuart (Stuart's Choice) Men's clothing store. The shoes are high end quality.
Most had retailed in the $600-$800 range. Ebayer's got them for $50 - $180 and resold them for much more.

I have a few pairs and am generally happy with them. They've held up nicely.

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys - I've been reasonably impressed by the Grenson's I've seen; my housemate had a nice pair which I think he paid £170 for, so I was ready to pay between £170 and £250 per pair, so was surprised to see what seemed like similar shoes for £80 on ebay.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMarr View Post

Thanks guys - I've been reasonably impressed by the Grenson's I've seen; my housemate had a nice pair which I think he paid £170 for, so I was ready to pay between £170 and £250 per pair, so was surprised to see what seemed like similar shoes for £80 on ebay.

Many are from the Footmaster or Feathermaster lines which are not great. The Rushden collection is also common but my experience with them is that the leather quality and other materials leave much to be admired. The Rose Collection (if you can find some) and the Grenson Masterpiece lines (AKA Paul Stuart: Stuart's Choice) are probably the best. I have about a half-dozen of the Stuart's Choice shoes and the leather is excellent and the construction is superb. I would place them around my C&J Handgrades.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 

Ah OK, that makes sense - yeah I had guessed that perhaps leather quality etc would be poorer, but for the purposes for which I need them, it might not be such a big problem. Thanks for the replies and advice, chaps - much appreciated.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe help required - Grenson