or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread - Page 35

post #511 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

^^^ 43 in Vass F.
Interesting you size up for vass f, you have high instep?
I'm a us 10, UK 9, and I wear a vass 42.5. I have a 43 and it had fully closed laces when it was new due to my low instep, the 42.5 fits better.
post #512 of 756

It's not really "sizing up" as there is no equivalence between brands when it comes to sizing.  I can wear anything from a UK 8.5 to a UK 9.5 depending on brand, last and design.  TTS is a myth and E-sizing is better than a stab in the dark, though not by as much as we would hope.

 

But yes, I do have a high instep and the 43 in Vass (K,U and F lasts) fits me well through forefoot and instep without excessive length.  I have heard that the P2 last has a lower instep and have been reluctant to try it for that reason.

post #513 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

It's not really "sizing up" as there is no equivalence between brands when it comes to sizing.  I can wear anything from a UK 8.5 to a UK 9.5 depending on brand, last and design.  TTS is a myth and E-sizing is better than a stab in the dark, though not by as much as we would hope.

 

But yes, I do have a high instep and the 43 in Vass (K,U and F lasts) fits me well through forefoot and instep without excessive length.  I have heard that the P2 last has a lower instep and have been reluctant to try it for that reason.

Agreed. The Brannock device/TTS is inherently flawed, as it ignores variables like instep and heel girth. I wear a 10D US comfortably, but a 9 UK in EG and a 8.5 UK in G&G. Alden Barrie last I can size down all the way to a 9 US, and my heel still slips. 

post #514 of 756
Hi everyone

I'm new to this and would appreciate any advice. Apologies if I'm going over old ground.

I'm eyeing some Carmina Chelsea boots on the Simpson last. Only size 10 is available.

I wear:
9.5UK in C&J 348 last but have been a bit snug from day one
9.5UK in Grenson G Zero derbies
9.5US in Alden Indy boots on the Trubalance last - comfortable
9.5US in Alden longwings, which I assume are the Barrie last and a bit too snug again

Shall I pull the trigger on the Carminas?
post #515 of 756

hello, 

 

has anyone had any experience with the Forest last compared to Meermin Hiro/Carmina Rain last.

 

 

Im looking at getting a pair of loafers in the Forest last.

 

I have a pair of wingtip brogues in Rain UK9. Meermin Hiro UK9

 

I intend on wearing the loafers san socks, what sizing should i get?

 

Thank you in advance!

post #516 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolscoolcat View Post
 

has anyone had any experience with the Forest last compared to Meermin Hiro/Carmina Rain last.

 

I intend on wearing the loafers san socks, what sizing should i get?

 

 

I own all three as oxfords, but do not have experience with as loafers.

 

Hiro is the tightest fit for me, followed by Forest and then Rain.

 

I wear the same size for all of those lasts, but could potentially go up to an 0.5 on the Hiro. The Hiro toe box seems narrower or to taper earlier, at least to my foot.

 

I'm sure I read a post by one of the guys at skoaktiebolaget stating that he and a colleague size down .5 when going from Rain to Forest.

 

It could go either way, but given you don't adjust from Rain to Hiro and assuming they both fit reasonably well, I would try your usual size first.

 

Hope this helps and good luck.

post #517 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW1982 View Post

Does anyone have any familiarity with the Carmina Detroit last?

How does it compare in width and length to the standard Rain last?

Thanks.

I have two pair of oxford's on the Rain last and a pair of derby's on the Detroit. I take size 8 in both.

 

The Detroit last is slightly shorter and narrower than the Rain although there's not much in it. The biggest difference is the toe which is more elongated on the Rain. The heel on the Rain is narrower too.

 

To summarise; the Detroit is “bean shaped” whereas the Rain is “diamond shaped”.

 

The Detroit lasted pair feels rather more generous than either of the Rain lasted pairs but this is primarily because of the open lacing.

post #518 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolscoolcat View Post
 

hello, 

 

has anyone had any experience with the Forest last compared to Meermin Hiro/Carmina Rain last.

 

 

Im looking at getting a pair of loafers in the Forest last.

 

I have a pair of wingtip brogues in Rain UK9. Meermin Hiro UK9

 

I intend on wearing the loafers san socks, what sizing should i get?

 

Thank you in advance!

The Forest and Rain lasts fit me very similarly in the vamp if this helps. I'd get size 9.

post #519 of 756

Hey guys. I'm looking at a pair of Carmina boots on the Oscar last, and I could use some help sizing them. I wear a size 13d in Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue. I wear a size 12D in Wolverine 1000 miles.

post #520 of 756

^ UK 11.5 or UK 12. Maybe 12. Might be snug for you.

post #521 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post

Agreed. The Brannock device/TTS is inherently flawed, as it ignores variables like instep and heel girth.
That's true on the Brannock, but at least it gives us a standard measurement to compare against.
post #522 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbri06 View Post

Hey guys. I'm looking at a pair of Carmina boots on the Oscar last, and I could use some help sizing them. I wear a size 13d in Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue. I wear a size 12D in Wolverine 1000 miles.

If you need some corroboration…

According to the Sizeadvisors database, the AE Fifth Avenue is on the 5-65 last to which Loake's 026 Last in G fits a little bit worse when you go down 1.5 size(s). That would be UK 11.5. Makes sense, since AE's 5-65 is a bit on the narrow side while Loake 026 is a bit wide, especially in G.

Two other ratings say Loake's 026 last in G fits similar to Carmina's Oscar last.

In other words, konda's recommendation makes sense, although I'd probably go for the UK 11.5. Considering that you have Wolverine in US 12 that's hopyfully not too short in length. UK 12 would probably run too wide in volume, so you may need to wear two pair of socks.

Hope this helps.
post #523 of 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappedncollared View Post

I own all three as oxfords, but do not have experience with as loafers.

I'm sure I read a post by one of the guys at skoaktiebolaget stating that he and a colleague size down .5 when going from Rain to Forest.

Size up. I size up from UK 11 on Rain to UK 11.5 on Forest, but I think that's what you meant?
post #524 of 756
Apologies, you are correct, size up.
post #525 of 756

HI

 

Apologies if I missed a post on this, but I haven't noticed a lot of information on the Uetam last.  I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the string loafer.  I am a 10E on G&G (MH71 & TG73) and EG (888), a 9.5F in Saint Crispin's (chiseled last).  Thing is, these are all lace-ups or monks.

 

Would a 10 in the Uetam be ok, or should I get 9.5?  I am cognizant of the fact that suede stretches more and nothing is worse than a loafer that's too big.

 

I also have a penny loafer from brooks brothers that I got on the bay which is made by Alden.  It is sized 10.5D and fits ok.....

 

Any suggestions or advice?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread