or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread - Page 18

post #256 of 785
Hey guys, skimmed through the thread and just wanted thoughts on what i've gathered before I pull the trigger on a pair...

I currently wear:

US 7 C&J on 200 (chukka)
UK 5.5 G&G on MH71 (dub monk)

US7 for most other shoes, I do however feel they might be just a smidge big.
My G&G's in 5.5 are on the snugger side and thin socks are more comfortable than thicker ones, though both fit.

My assumption:

UK 6 in Simpson last
UK 5.5 in Rain last


...yay or nay?

From reading, Rain seems to be bigger/roomier, hence the size down.
post #257 of 785

Try shooting Leaves a pm, he sells both G&G and Carmina, so he might be able to help you.

post #258 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

Hey guys, skimmed through the thread and just wanted thoughts on what i've gathered before I pull the trigger on a pair...

I currently wear:

US 7 C&J on 200 (chukka)
UK 5.5 G&G on MH71 (dub monk)

US7 for most other shoes, I do however feel they might be just a smidge big.
My G&G's in 5.5 are on the snugger side and thin socks are more comfortable than thicker ones, though both fit.

My assumption:

UK 6 in Simpson last
UK 5.5 in Rain last



...yay or nay?

From reading, Rain seems to be bigger/roomier, hence the size down.

 

Glad to see a member who share the same size as me! (I personally do 5.5uk on both lasts. and wear 5.5uk on lobb 7000, 8000, and EG 888 as well)

Rain is supposedly wider, more comfortable last (and they are) but not too wide.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preparatory View Post

I usually wear 9,5 US in AE what should I get in Carmina last rain??

 

I say go with 8.5uk for Carmina Rain.

post #259 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyoo1983 View Post

Glad to see a member who share the same size as me! (I personally do 5.5uk on both lasts. and wear 5.5uk on lobb 7000, 8000, and EG 888 as well)
Rain is supposedly wider, more comfortable last (and they are) but not too wide.


I say go with 8.5uk for Carmina Rain.
Even though My AE 9,5D fits a bit on the snug side?
post #260 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preparatory View Post


Even though My AE 9,5D fits a bit on the snug side?

 

It's really your decision at this point. Few of the members I have spoken to recently (while doing a Carmina MTO) has mentioned that they size down 1 full size from their AE.

But if 9.5D is a bit on the snug side and you'd wish for it to be a bit bigger, 9uk maybe a perfect choice! smile.gif

post #261 of 785



Carmina Adelaide in Cognac (Alcudia), Crockett & Jones Lindrick in Brown Shell (325), Alden Indy in Cigar Shell (Trubalance) and Alfred Sargent Miller Boot in Cognac Shell (724)

Alcudia is pretty damn narrow. I went down 1 size in the Alcudia but if I had to do it again I would only size down 1/2 size. For reference, Carmina is a size UK11, Lindrick is size us11.5, Indy is size us11.5, AS UK11
post #262 of 785

I'm

 

10B in AE 5 Last

10B in Alden Modified Last

 

Which of the non-chiseled toe lasts would work best? I'm guessing 9 in one of the narrower lasts (Alcudia, Queens, Uetam)?

post #263 of 785

I e-mailed Betty and she suggested sizing 1 down from your US size.  They should correct it on their webstore as it states that 10US should order 9.5UK, but Betty suggested getting 9UK.  I am sure she is more knowledgable selling shoes for a living.  I can't wait to see them in person.  I ordered the double monk cognac shell and the rain last full cut black shell.  I hope everything fits because the shoes have to travel halfway around the world.   

post #264 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademarco View Post

I e-mailed Betty and she suggested sizing 1 down from your US size.  They should correct it on their webstore as it states that 10US should order 9.5UK, but Betty suggested getting 9UK.  I am sure she is more knowledgable selling shoes for a living.  I can't wait to see them in person.  I ordered the double monk cognac shell and the rain last full cut black shell.  I hope everything fits because the shoes have to travel halfway around the world.   

 

That's the default advice they give to all US customers for some reason. Im a US9D and followed that advice to buy a shell single monk in size UK8....noticably tight....had to send it to be stretched and its now bearable with thin socks. Which is a shame since they are nice shoes that I should wear more often but don't.

 

Subsequently sized down by a half in Rain/Oscar Last and all is well. I prefer a shoe that is slightly comfortable than one that is too tight. I can then put an insole in. Once a shoe is too tight it will never let you forget that.

post #265 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfrog View Post

^ +1, this is great advice. i'm sizing down 1.5 on my next Carminas in the Forest last and I think it's gonna be spot on. I'm also on the narrower side of medium...probably because I've been rock climbing so many years in tight shoes that my foot has gone from a medium to medium-narrow. sigh

i went a whole size down on my most recent barrie last alden and the fit is spot on. smile.gif

Great advice indeed, thanks for putting it like that. I'm the narrower side of medium in a US13 and was on the fence about going 11.5 or 12 in a Carmina, and the 12D Barrie fits me pretty well. I suppose I'm still a bit on the fence about 11.5 or 12 in the Simpson, although I tend to prefer a little snug to a little loose. At this point I would almost just pay the return shipping to know for sure, ha.
post #266 of 785

I am a US9D as well and went with a 8.5UK on Rain for a MTO so I'm hoping it works out perfect. I was thinking about going 8UK for the string loafers in the Uetam last though.

post #267 of 785

Hi guys just wondering how the Uetam last compares to the Simpson last.

 

I wear a pair of Simpsons in a lace up oxford size 6.5UK and sometimes the lace area (instep) gets a bit tight after a days walking.

 

I have heard the Uetam last fits similar to the Simpson.

 

Thinking about getting these - without the lace will I have the same issue?

 

http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-suede-string-loafers

post #268 of 785

Allen Edmonds, US 14 B in all last that I've tried

Alfred Sargent, UK 12.5 in last 48, width D

Meermin, UK 13.5 in New Rey last (no others fit)

 

Notes: Low instep

 

What would be the Carmina go-to width and size for me? Simpson?
 

post #269 of 785

AE 4-234 last: 10D US

Meermin Olfe last: 9E UK

Meermin Hiro last: 9E UK

 

I have a high instep/arch and Leaves said that the Simpson probably wouldn't fit very well.  Does anyone have an idea what last/size would be best?

 

Thanks!

post #270 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch38 View Post

I am a US9D as well and went with a 8.5UK on Rain for a MTO so I'm hoping it works out perfect. I was thinking about going 8UK for the string loafers in the Uetam last though.

Well I just received a pair of Uetam last loafers (being a reliable US9D). I sized down by half  to 8.5UK and the fit is glove-like...snug and comfortable right from the box. I definitely feel an 8UK would be uncomfortable...in fact I don't think I could get my foot in it.

 

It's a beautifully proportioned last...although it deserves a better name.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread