or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Check this suit fit (w/ pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Check this suit fit (w/ pics)

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Picked up this suit from another member here. I am trying to decide whether the jacket length is too short. The traditional thinking is to have the jacket length the same as your curled up wrist. This jacket is a tad short by those standards, but it does cover my behind. I am also on the fence about whether I should have the waist suppressed by a half inch or so. Excuse the crappy pics as all I had at the time was a phone. Thoughts/comments/knock-knock jokes/?
7721199.jpg
7721202.jpg
7721204.jpg
7721205.jpg
7721207.jpg
7721208.jpg
7721209.jpg
post #2 of 12
length looks fine to me but i prefer shorter jackets.

not bad
post #3 of 12
Looks good to me too.
post #4 of 12

Here's a quick reference guide

 

http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/suit-fit-0708

 

 

post #5 of 12
The jacket does not look too short. Your jacket should cover your ass (Thom Browne would disagree with me here) which has nothing to do with arm length necessarily. The old saw is that the length should be the same as your curled up fingers, not wrists, but this is not a reliable guide.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

The jacket does not look too short. Your jacket should cover your ass (Thom Browne would disagree with me here) which has nothing to do with arm length necessarily. The old saw is that the length should be the same as your curled up fingers, not wrists, but this is not a reliable guide.

Yes I meant fingers instead of wrist in the original post....


Any comments on whether I should take the waist in a half an inch or so?
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Here's a quick reference guide

http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/suit-fit-0708


I disagree with 4,5, and 7 of their 7 points.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

.
Any comments on whether I should take the waist in a half an inch or so?

Hard to tell in those pics, but I think the waist looks okay.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

I disagree with 4,5, and 7 of their 7 points.

+1
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

Picked up this suit from another member here. I am trying to decide whether the jacket length is too short. The traditional thinking is to have the jacket length the same as your curled up wrist. This jacket is a tad short by those standards, but it does cover my behind. I am also on the fence about whether I should have the waist suppressed by a half inch or so. Excuse the crappy pics as all I had at the time was a phone. Thoughts/comments/knock-knock jokes/?
7721199.jpg

Overall fit looks good. Maybe it is just my monitor but isn't the jacket a little wide (loose) at the base of the neck? Perhaps the previous owner had a thicker neck? You're unbuttoned shirt is throwing me off and it is hard to tell over here.
post #11 of 12

Okay; so with regard to the aforementioned "curled wrist" guide: This makes some sense, however; if you're a man with long arms, or in some cases, short arms, this rule would not apply.(Otherwise you'd have a ridiculously long or ridiculously short jacket, respectively) My rule of thumb when looking at jacket length is 1. Does it cover the rear 2. Remember that jacket lengths are a product of current fashion trends. The trend now is towards a shorter jacket length, thereby lengthening the look of the legs. 3. My rule of thumb (or in this case fingers) is about the width of three fingers (about 1.5") past the rear. 4. Another gauge is to take a tape measure from the top of the collar to the bottom of the jacket and compare it to the measurement of the bottom of the coat in relation to the floor; the coat length should be longer. As for the overall fit of your coat: I think this coat fits reasonably well, however I would probably have the sides taken in some to give it a bit more taper. In future purchased I would probably recommend a coat with more natural shoulders (that is, a coat with less shoulder padding). It looks like you have a prominent chest and that's causing the front of the coat to bow open. Sometimes this can be fixed in off-the-rack clothing if it's just a slight V that's occurring, however the fact that it's sitting completely away from your chest indicates this to me.  It can't really be fixed by off-the-rack clothing; but can be adjusted in the pattern if you ever decide to get a made-to-measure suit. I hope this helps! 

post #12 of 12

Take the waist in about an inch and wear a tie.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Check this suit fit (w/ pics)