or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stylish Non-Clothing Things
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stylish Non-Clothing Things - Page 2

post #16 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

263


 

Is this on your wishlist?  You seem more like an Aston Martin gentlemen to me...

post #17 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDHagg View Post



 
Is this on your wishlist?  You seem more like an Aston Martin gentlemen to me...

he's wanted a ferrari for a while, but he's not getting p4/5.

saw a pearl white aston martin dbs the other day, wow
post #18 of 357
Thread Starter 
I think the Glickenhaus P4/5 is pretty hideous, actually. The original Enzo is a far better styled car--you may not like it, but it is a coherent design. The P4/5, on the other hand, is a clumsy pastiche. The retro 80's rims are not bad because they are retro, but because their bulky, angular design does not harmonize with the generally sinewy and curvaceous form of the car. The front end is a disaster, abruptly ending in a straight edges and right angles. The peekaboo exhausts in the back are too stupid to speak of.
post #19 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Ha--well, I can believe Quadcammer owns a 993. The Glickenhaus Enzo-P4/5 on the other hand . . .
Still, I did say you don't have to own the thing you post. What's missing is the reflective commentary.

I do in fact.

But, here goes.

The 993 has a taut body design with no wasted space, in the same way a bespoke suit might. The body lines fit barely over the mechanicals and are there for purpose only. The basic body shape, just like classic style, has remained very similar for decades. The interior, covered with leather, is simple, purposeful, and yet elegant, like a nice pair of Edward Greens. And finally, the car's purpose is performance first, and in that form following function style, it manages to excel at both.

Its not the best car made like some will say, but it is a quite fine piece of machinery.
post #20 of 357
.
Edited by F. Corbera - 3/4/12 at 5:14pm
post #21 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I think the Glickenhaus P4/5 is pretty hideous, actually. The original Enzo is a far better styled car--you may not like it, but it is a coherent design. The P4/5, on the other hand, is a clumsy pastiche. The retro 80's rims are not bad because they are retro, but because their bulky, angular design does not harmonize with the generally sinewy and curvaceous form of the car. The front end is a disaster, abruptly ending in a straight edges and right angles. The peekaboo exhausts in the back are too stupid to speak of.

I'm not a huge fan myself. The enzo is probably a nicer looking car, but I can appreciate what jim went through to build the car and its racing equivalent. Its impressive, if not nearly as pretty as his classic and untouched P3/4 race cars.
post #22 of 357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

I do in fact.
But, here goes.
The 993 has a taut body design with no wasted space, in the same way a bespoke suit might. The body lines fit barely over the mechanicals and are there for purpose only. The basic body shape, just like classic style, has remained very similar for decades. The interior, covered with leather, is simple, purposeful, and yet elegant, like a nice pair of Edward Greens. And finally, the car's purpose is performance first, and in that form following function style, it manages to excel at both.
Its not the best car made like some will say, but it is a quite fine piece of machinery.

I loved the 993 when I was in high school. The 996 was a terrible aesthetic misstep. My favorite 993 was the Turbo, with the very artfully scooped-out rear fender vents. Still, I think none beat the late 60's, early 70's cars. Did you see the 1973 911S I posted? Painfully perfect, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Here are three cheap watches that I have that tell better time than the expenses watches that I have:
i-zSGLsJw-L.jpg
I am wearing one of the expensive watches, however, because my day does not require timing things to extreme accuracy.
The three watches are on top of a book of houses that I like, one of which I know very well. I like the book because all the houses are complete, and I am about to enter the second year of design work with my architects on an extensive addition to my house. Seeing houses that I like that are already complete gives me hope that my project, too, will be complete before I am too senile or too dead to appreciate it.

Nice composition. I like that the watches and house in the photograph express such a coherent aesthetic.
post #23 of 357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

I'm not a huge fan myself. The enzo is probably a nicer looking car, but I can appreciate what jim went through to build the car and its racing equivalent. Its impressive, if not nearly as pretty as his classic and untouched P3/4 race cars.

I think he tried to play designer too much, and should have let Pininfarina run more free. Exercising taste means knowing when to delegate as much as anything else.
post #24 of 357

censored.gif


Edited by CDHagg - 3/16/12 at 2:14pm
post #25 of 357
Someone should dork this up. And that someone is me.

196

to this I will also add

220
post #26 of 357
Thread Starter 
Those Faber-Castells are anything but dorky. Really gorgeous. Wish I had an excuse to buy fancy pencils.

That calculator is very similar to the classic HP 12C:

12c-front-medium.jpg

A mainstay amongst us finance types. Indeed, quite a looker.
post #27 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I loved the 993 when I was in high school. The 996 was a terrible aesthetic misstep. My favorite 993 was the Turbo, with the very artfully scooped-out rear fender vents. Still, I think none beat the late 60's, early 70's cars. Did you see the 1973 911S I posted? Painfully perfect, in my opinion.

My 993 is a turbo actually, you are thinking of the Turbo S, which has the fender vents.

As for the early cars, I like them, but i would go for the 73 rs
post #28 of 357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

My 993 is a turbo actually, you are thinking of the Turbo S, which has the fender vents.

Ah, that's right.
post #29 of 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Those Faber-Castells are anything but dorky. Really gorgeous. Wish I had an excuse to buy fancy pencils.
That calculator is very similar to the classic HP 12C: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
12c-front-medium.jpg
A mainstay amongst us finance types. Indeed, quite a looker.

In reality my daily pencil is a pentel kerry.
150

Less pretty, but the FC tends to be fussy in real life use. I break it out for sketching purposes mostly and it was a whim purchase in a very serious way. I love the way it looks and feels though. The HP is a 15C and is a grail among engineers and the like. The image above is a reissue from last year, real versions from the 80's go for ridiculous amounts on the bay.
post #30 of 357
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stylish Non-Clothing Things