or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bang for your Buck Shirt(ing) Options for a New Professional
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bang for your Buck Shirt(ing) Options for a New Professional - Page 3

post #31 of 47
Just thought I'd toss in my two cents since I am a 5'3" guy also, though maybe not as slim as the OP. I am a big fan of CT. I own probably 15+ CT shirts that I wear regularly. The quality is fine for every day shirts. of course, I imagine a custom made shirt will fit a lot better (I mean heck, its custom made) but I really have no gripes with CT shirts. I opt for the tailored fit usually, but like someone else said, the selection in tailored fits is lacking. I live in NYC but actually prefer to just order my shirts from them online since I can have them tailor the sleeve length as needed -- actually come to think of it, I'm not sure if they offer this in store (anyone have any experience with that?).

At 4 for $200 with an incredibly good return policy I dont see the harm in giving them a shot (even if you feel you need to have them tweaked a little bit by a tailor, its still a pretty good price).
post #32 of 47
I say go with CT if you are short on cash. I personally prefer Joe Hemrajani, but his shirts start at roughly 100 or 115 per shirt. You can get CT for significantly less
post #33 of 47
See, I'm 5'4 and have a more athletic build. I tried the 4 for $200 and at $50 a shirt, I still needed to spend $10 for the arm sleeve length and another $15-20 to bring the body in a bit so that it doesn't blouse at the bottom and keep a sharp look. That would have been $75 or so per shirt for some ho-hum styles and fabric.


www.BlankLabel.com --- found these guys through a groupon/livingsocial type deal and decided to try them out.

The great thing about this site is they said you a pre-paid envelope for you to ship your best fitted shirt and they can take the measurements off that shirt - AWESOME and convenient.

You can get some nice fabrics and lots of customization options starting at $75 a shirt but its fitted for your body AND the fabric is good. It did take about 2.5-3 weeks to get the final product but I was very satisfied with the finish product and enjoyed the experience enough that I plan to get more from them.
post #34 of 47
I've never been to CEGO, but a few years ago I bought shirts from MyTailor and a couple local shirtmakers to compare. The Mytailor shirts finished a close second place in construction quality, and first place in fabric selection, value, and overall fit and style.

The thing is, you can only order one to start, and after you get the fit sorted out, you can start ordering them by the bunch. So you probably won't have 6 shirts ready in two months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post

Wow. That is impressive. I was thinking I would go see Mr. Hemrajani this week (as he is in NYC until Friday), but perhaps I should just go with CEGO? Anyone else care to weigh on MyTailor vs. CEGO?
And I hope you guys find the edited threat title slightly more acceptable.
post #35 of 47

I never thought of CT as ho-hum.  I guess it depends on your sense of style.  And the CT fabrics are very nice IMO.  The non-iron shirts are great.  I wash, hang dry, and wear.  No touch ups, and the shirts look good.  It's especially nice when you are traveling and can't press your shirts.

 

The shirts are TTS based on the online fit chart.  If you know your measurements, then you will have a reasonable idea of the fit before you order.

 

Having said that, I just placed an order for MTM shirts and a sports jacket from a local tailor.  I used my CT shirt as an example of my "best fit".  Other than sleeve length, the tailor told me that the CT is a very good fit (for me anyway).  My sleeve length falls on the half inch and I was too cheap to pay for the sleeve alteration.  No shame on my part.

 

After spending considerable time being measured and discussing the fit of my current dress shirts, I can't imagine ordering MTM online.  That's me, however.  I know many of you have been successful ordering MTM online.

 

 

post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post



After spending considerable time being measured and discussing the fit of my current dress shirts, I can't imagine ordering MTM online.  That's me, however.  I know many of you have been successful ordering MTM online.




Well, I imagine he'd go get measured by the MyTailor guy in person.
post #37 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive View Post

I've never been to CEGO, but a few years ago I bought shirts from MyTailor and a couple local shirtmakers to compare. The Mytailor shirts finished a close second place in construction quality, and first place in fabric selection, value, and overall fit and style.
The thing is, you can only order one to start, and after you get the fit sorted out, you can start ordering them by the bunch. So you probably won't have 6 shirts ready in two months.

Well, I've just set an appointed with MyTailor/Hemrajani for this Friday, so I might just be able to get the trial and then a few more by the end of May. Before I go through with the MyTailor trial (still going to try out Tyrwhitt this Thursday), any final words on CEGO instead of MyTailor? Is the quality/service/price any better?
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post

Well, I've just set an appointed with MyTailor/Hemrajani for this Friday, so I might just be able to get the trial and then a few more by the end of May. Before I go through with the MyTailor trial (still going to try out Tyrwhitt this Thursday), any final words on CEGO instead of MyTailor? Is the quality/service/price any better?


Remember, no matter what he says, no matter the temptation, only order one shirt.
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post

Wow. That is impressive. I was thinking I would go see Mr. Hemrajani this week (as he is in NYC until Friday), but perhaps I should just go with CEGO? Anyone else care to weigh on MyTailor vs. CEGO?
And I hope you guys find the edited threat title slightly more acceptable.

I've never used either maker. For your price point, you may as well try both and then invest.
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I never thought of CT as ho-hum.  I guess it depends on your sense of style.  And the CT fabrics are very nice IMO.  The non-iron shirts are great.  I wash, hang dry, and wear.  No touch ups, and the shirts look good.  It's especially nice when you are traveling and can't press your shirts.

For most people, they aren't. But this is style forum, where only the best will do.

For every day office wear, I couldn't see wanting a nicer shirt than CT to be honest, but I'm not the big baller around here.
post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt View Post

Well, I've just set an appointed with MyTailor/Hemrajani for this Friday, so I might just be able to get the trial and then a few more by the end of May. Before I go through with the MyTailor trial (still going to try out Tyrwhitt this Thursday), any final words on CEGO instead of MyTailor? Is the quality/service/price any better?

I have already put in my two-cents about using CEGO, which is the only person I have bought a shirt from in the past four and a half years (since my first order). I much prefer having my shirtmaker local and having the shirts made in the United States. I think this, all other things being equal, makes quality and service better, since you can always talk to your shirtmaker and he has a tight handle on the manufacturing process. The fit and personal service have always been great, and Carl is more than willing and able to make adjustments to the former when necessary, and the latter is easily influenced through whiskey.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive View Post

Remember, no matter what he says, no matter the temptation, only order one shirt.

Cego presently has 2 shirt minimum for first time purchasers which seems like good business sense on their part.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


For most people, they aren't. But this is style forum, where only the best will do.
For every day office wear, I couldn't see wanting a nicer shirt than CT to be honest, but I'm not the big baller around here.


Good point, I keep forgetting that SF sets the bar a little bit higher.

post #44 of 47
Thread Starter 
Just thought I'd give an update. Went to CT the other day and tried on a 14.5 in their Tailored fit, but it was much too big in the shoulders and would probably cost me around $50 for alterations. I have also taken everyone's advice here and have decided to go with CEGO instead of MyTailor. I will be setting up an appointment with Mr. Gold in the coming weeks and he will soon be $500 richer. Thanks very much for your advice, gents.
post #45 of 47
ok, well nothing ventured, nothing gained, so good luck with the mtm shirts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bang for your Buck Shirt(ing) Options for a New Professional