or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bang for your Buck Shirt(ing) Options for a New Professional
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bang for your Buck Shirt(ing) Options for a New Professional - Page 2

post #16 of 47
To the OP:
Please do let us know how you make out...
Im in the same boat as you.
post #17 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

the understanding...to me anyways, was that he was looking for "bang for buck". That in and of itself typically means the lower price the better so long as fit and quality is ok.
5'3" is short, no question, but what does it hurt for him to pop into the store and have a look?

This is the correct sentiment. If the CT RTW shirts fit or require just a bit of hemming (which would be something like 5x$20=$100), then so much the better. If not, I'm perfectly comfortable with spending $100-125 per shirt if the fit is perfect and the quality is good. Being difficult to fit, I have come to terms with the fact that there aren't many cheap/discount options available to me, so I might as well aim for quality.

And Dr. Teatime: you got it.
post #18 of 47

I am also a Charles Tyrwhitt customer.  I'm not as slim as I was in my 20s.  So it's classic fit shirts for me.  They have been the best value in RTW shirts I have found so far (I am also a big fan of their ties).  Shipping to the US is pretty quick, and, when they say no fuss returns, they mean no fuss returns.  Some of the shirts arrived and the color looked a little off from the pictures on the website (probably because I need to calibrate my monitor).  No problem.  I just slap the return label on the box and schedule a pick up from USPS website.  Done.

 

The CT twill and imperial oxfords are especially nice.  Best of luck.

 

**Edit**

 

I was in Beverly Hills over the weekend.  The SA from Turnbull & Asser told me that their RTW shirts drop to $100 a piece during their seasonal sales.  They also have a store in NY.  So, if you're cruising around, try on a RTW shirt.  If you like the fit, you can get an excellent shirt during a sale event.

post #19 of 47
In terms of fit, I'm sure you can find something in CT's Tailored fit line. Fabrics can not compare to other premium brands, but the fit should be great. They are also $40-50 each.

Half my closet are CT Tailored, and the other half 'better' shirts, but they both fit equally well and the CT shirts are usually less than half the price.
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

And you don't mean "shirting," you mean "shirt."
I was about to say something similar. This seems to be an all too common error and it annoys me more than it probably should laugh.gif
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

I was about to say something similar. This seems to be an all too common error and it annoys me more than it probably should laugh.gif

Let's you and I start promoting the use of the term, "trousering."
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

well he can at least try it before getting into mtm. it may be a cheap solution to his problem

I guess there's two strategic ways to approach this:
  1. Start as cheap as possible RTW, and only go MTM after exhausting the possibilities (and potentially wasting a lot of time and money)
  2. Start MTM and be sure to get a good fit; use that knowledge to explore RTW if price is a concern

I tend to think, given the OPs constraints, that option 2 will end up being better value, and more satisfying (less time-consuming, less likely to result in frustration, etc.).
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Let's you and I start promoting the use of the term, "trousering."

Is your choice of word for anglophonic purposes, or simply because "pantsing" is already taken?
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm31 View Post

I guess there's two strategic ways to approach this:
  1. Start as cheap as possible RTW, and only go MTM after exhausting the possibilities (and potentially wasting a lot of time and money)
  2. Start MTM and be sure to get a good fit; use that knowledge to explore RTW if price is a concern
I tend to think, given the OPs constraints, that option 2 will end up being better value, and more satisfying (less time-consuming, less likely to result in frustration, etc.).

Based on the guy's size, we gave him one, maybe two, RTW stores to check out. How is he wasting money if he tries the shirt on and decides it doesn't fit?

MTM doesn't assure much of anything btw, especially if its online. Very rarely does an online MTM place get it right the first time, and even then, its weeks before you see the end result.

If the one or two RTW options provide a decent fit, mtm is not necessary.
post #25 of 47
Just go to Carl (CEGO). The few extra bucks a shirt over your budget will be more than worth it. Today I am wearing a shirt that he made for me four years ago. Fit is great and it has held up remarkably well. You won't be dissapointed.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

Is your choice of word for anglophonic purposes, or simply because "pantsing" is already taken?

The latter. I have some awesome shoeings on today (sounds like schwing! but really isn't...)
post #27 of 47
I don't know where you live (are you in Manhattan)?

I also didn't have time to read all the other posts, but here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Shit can the idea of getting MTM shirts. You can buy OTR (RTW) shirts that are better quality than the stuff you'll buy on-line or at Brooks Brothers (if you buy smart):

A) Go to Daffy's (there are 6 locations in NYC, 2 in Philly, several in Jersey). You can buy SLIM ass shirts right off the rack with a 14 - 14 1/2 size neck (starting there), and then have them tailored.

You can get Mastai, Truzzi, etc. shirts (that would cost $200 a pop) for $30. Have the sleeves shortened ($16), and have the body taken in (not that you would really need to).

Daffy's also features shirts by a company called B-More. These shirts fit tighter than condoms. They are of excellent quality, and they will feel (to a guy who's 5' 3" --- custom made).




B) If you go to any Loehman's or Nordstrom's Rack, you can buy Ben Sherman slim fit shirts (again, they make 14 size necks and up), for $35. Same deal - have them tailored.



2. If you don't live in the NYC area, then tell us where you do live.


On your budget, it doesn't make sense to buy custom --- any decent tailor can remake a shirt for $50 tops.
post #28 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmprisons View Post

Just go to Carl (CEGO). The few extra bucks a shirt over your budget will be more than worth it. Today I am wearing a shirt that he made for me four years ago. Fit is great and it has held up remarkably well. You won't be dissapointed.

Wow. That is impressive. I was thinking I would go see Mr. Hemrajani this week (as he is in NYC until Friday), but perhaps I should just go with CEGO? Anyone else care to weigh on MyTailor vs. CEGO?

And I hope you guys find the edited threat title slightly more acceptable.
post #29 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgatsby View Post

I don't know where you live (are you in Manhattan)?
I also didn't have time to read all the other posts, but here's what I would do if I were you:
1. Shit can the idea of getting MTM shirts. You can buy OTR (RTW) shirts that are better quality than the stuff you'll buy on-line or at Brooks Brothers (if you buy smart):
A) Go to Daffy's (there are 6 locations in NYC, 2 in Philly, several in Jersey). You can buy SLIM ass shirts right off the rack with a 14 - 14 1/2 size neck (starting there), and then have them tailored.
You can get Mastai, Truzzi, etc. shirts (that would cost $200 a pop) for $30. Have the sleeves shortened ($16), and have the body taken in (not that you would really need to).
Daffy's also features shirts by a company called B-More. These shirts fit tighter than condoms. They are of excellent quality, and they will feel (to a guy who's 5' 3" --- custom made).
B) If you go to any Loehman's or Nordstrom's Rack, you can buy Ben Sherman slim fit shirts (again, they make 14 size necks and up), for $35. Same deal - have them tailored.
2. If you don't live in the NYC area, then tell us where you do live.
On your budget, it doesn't make sense to buy custom --- any decent tailor can remake a shirt for $50 tops.

I do live in NYC. Those shirts may fit in the neck and body (maybe), but I doubt they will fit in the yoke/shoulders and will be too long anyways. I am skeptical, but along with Charles Tyrwhitt, I will give Daffy's a shot.
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

The latter. I have some awesome shoeings on today (sounds like schwing! but really isn't...)

tounge.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bang for your Buck Shirt(ing) Options for a New Professional