or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › I screwed up. What next? *Super long, you probably shouldn't read*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I screwed up. What next? *Super long, you probably shouldn't read* - Page 4

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Beyond a select group of sciences and the engineering tracks, what degrees really do? A "business" degree? So you know how to do business now?

I think the biggest problem with humanities degrees are the lack of internships available. It makes finding the crucial first job to break the need-experience-to-get-experience conundrum much more difficult.

Most business degrees also require some kind of training in particular areas and many universities offer courses that aid certification in a particular field (HR and such).

The stigma arises from the type of person that often majors in the humanities. Don't tell me the stereotype isn't generally true.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post

I think the biggest problem with humanities degrees are the lack of internships available. It makes finding the crucial first job to break the need-experience-to-get-experience conundrum much more difficult.
Most business degrees also require some kind of training in particular areas and many universities offer courses that aid certification in a particular field (HR and such).
The stigma arises from the type of person that often majors in the humanities. Don't tell me the stereotype isn't generally true.

If I owned the world youd grad high school and get a job at 50% time and study the remaining 50%, regardless what it is. The good part is you can try different vocations and course correct mid stream, make some $, get some experience. Bad part is course corrections might mean starting over, etc. Fuck the bullshit electives. Ya, they enrich you but we have Discovery Channel and BBC now.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington View Post

Basically you sound like the typical early twenties loser who wants to live large without holding down a steady job and thinks poker/day trading/flipping houses, etc, etc. will give you a steady income which, surprise surprise, it won't.
You're only 23. You're very young and have plenty of time ahead of you to get your life on track. Go to college, get your degree, and use the time you are there to learn how to manage your money and figure out what you want to do with your 20s/early 30s.

this is the correct answer.
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington View Post

Basically you sound like the typical early twenties loser who wants to live large without holding down a steady job and thinks poker/day trading/flipping houses, etc, etc. will give you a steady income which, surprise surprise, it won't.
You're only 23. You're very young and have plenty of time ahead of you to get your life on track. Go to college, get your degree, and use the time you are there to learn how to manage your money and figure out what you want to do with your 20s/early 30s.

this is the self-righteous answer.

FTFY.
post #50 of 58
My advice comes from my experience. To each his own.
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

My advice comes from my experience. To each his own.

It's solid advice, but in general if you start out by calling someone a loser the odds that they'll pay attention go down dramatically.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

My advice comes from my experience. To each his own.

+1

You're correct above.

This generation in their 20's has the potential to be the most epic sack of self entitled shit in history. They remind me of one of my father's favorite jokes: "Hey kid, what do you want to be when you grow up? - I want to be like my father - Oh ya, what does he do? - He's retired".
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

My advice comes from my experience. To each his own.

+1

You're correct above.

This generation in their 20's has the potential to be the most epic sack of self entitled shit in history. They remind me of one of my father's favorite jokes: "Hey kid, what do you want to be when you grow up? - I want to be like my father - Oh ya, what does he do? - He's retired".

Even better. I'll bet the OP is in a real hurry to pay attention to the thoughts of someone who implies that he's an "epic sack of self entitled shit". There's no way, of course, that YOU were remotely self-entitled when you were young.
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

It's solid advice, but in general if you start out by calling someone a loser the odds that they'll pay attention go down dramatically.

Problem is when you try and teach the 20-somethings anything they immediately view you with derision. The what do you know and you're not the boss of me bullshit. I interview pretty regularly both for my team and for others and I rarely encounter one with the right work ethic. I'm 39, and my hires in their 50's almost always work out. 20's are almost always trouble.
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Even better. I'll bet the OP is in a real hurry to pay attention to the thoughts of someone who implies that he's an "epic sack of self entitled shit". There's no way, of course, that YOU were remotely self-entitled when you were young.

I wasn't self entitled - that attitude is new - but I was certainly unwilling to listen to those that knew more than I did. When I finally started to listen around age 27 my career took off. Older folks were as right when I was 21 as when I was 28. The difference was that it took that many years to realize I was banging my head and repeating the same mistakes.

To the younger members reading this: dont take it personally, its not an attack. But you really dont know shit. You'll understand when you get a bit older.
Edited by idfnl - 3/8/12 at 6:41pm
post #56 of 58
In fairness, I thought to not quote that first paragraph in my response, but then just didn't. I'll make no presumptions on the OP and hope that he does get his shit together. With that being said, it is generally applicable to many in the OP's generation, as idfnl correctly notes.

They'll eventually get it - I maintain hope. nod[1].gif
post #57 of 58
Thread Starter 

Meh, every generation says that about the generation that follows them. I take it with a grain of salt and look at the rest of the message that a poster is trying to send to me.

 

Since my last post I've gone to my community college to get an idea of what I'll have to do to get into school full time. I've been pushing away from the idea of going to school for philosophy and instead looking at supply chain management. I already have experience in the field from my old job, having created and managed a six figure budget, created an inventory ordering/tracking system, etc. and it's something that interests me. The community college has a partnership with the local university which offers fixed rate tuition and guaranteed admission into my program of study.

 

I have a job lined up too. My grandparents own a roofing business and are looking to retire in a few years, and they need someone to handle the office tasks among other things. Right now I'm making $350/wk which probably won't cover my expenses but once I assume more responsibilities I'll get paid more. I also found a way to play online poker from the US so from May through August I plan to go to school while playing full time in hopes of clearing makeup and earning some money of my own. Once my full time school schedule starts I'll likely quit poker completely (or close to it) and work for my grandparents when I can to pay the bills.

 

I don't have a car yet and I'm living at home right now (not for free) but my parents will let me borrow their spare car for the time being and there should be a lot of apartments available for lease in a couple of months when school is out. 

post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoopsBusto View Post

Meh, every generation says that about the generation that follows them. I take it with a grain of salt and look at the rest of the message that a poster is trying to send to me.

Since my last post I've gone to my community college to get an idea of what I'll have to do to get into school full time. I've been pushing away from the idea of going to school for philosophy and instead looking at supply chain management. I already have experience in the field from my old job, having created and managed a six figure budget, created an inventory ordering/tracking system, etc. and it's something that interests me. The community college has a partnership with the local university which offers fixed rate tuition and guaranteed admission into my program of study.

I have a job lined up too. My grandparents own a roofing business and are looking to retire in a few years, and they need someone to handle the office tasks among other things. Right now I'm making $350/wk which probably won't cover my expenses but once I assume more responsibilities I'll get paid more. I also found a way to play online poker from the US so from May through August I plan to go to school while playing full time in hopes of clearing makeup and earning some money of my own. Once my full time school schedule starts I'll likely quit poker completely (or close to it) and work for my grandparents when I can to pay the bills.

I don't have a car yet and I'm living at home right now (not for free) but my parents will let me borrow their spare car for the time being and there should be a lot of apartments available for lease in a couple of months when school is out. 

Minus the first paragraph, this sounds like a sensible kid talking.

Dont meh us... there is a reason every generation says that: its true. Be different and bypass the mistakes we've made for you. Fuck the poker for $ bit, just enjoy the game and maybe make a few bucks. Playing when you know you have to earn is a different experience and not that pleasant.

Ask your parents if they will let you live free if you demonstrate results in school. But prove it. You'd be amazed the respect you garner when you act responsibly. I remember the year I earned more than my dad, it was a strange experience seeing him look at me differently. Now I make 4x more than he ever made in a year so he shuts the fuck up and listens to me now which is an odd reversal. When you get smart things will move quickly. You must be willing to develop yourself and let it take its time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › I screwed up. What next? *Super long, you probably shouldn't read*