or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I want suits with the cut of RLBL, but without the incredibly limited color selection - do any other cuts come close?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I want suits with the cut of RLBL, but without the incredibly limited color selection - do any...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
RLBL offers suits in such a limited color pattern that I'd be surprised if another clothier didn't have something close. I dont want pinstripes ,but would like some more solid and plaids - of which RLBL sells none.

Who makes the closest cut to an RLBL?
post #2 of 10
RLBL made to measure
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
If I was going to do RLBL mtm, I would just go to savile row. How about something under $2500?
post #4 of 10
I share your frustration, all the RLBL stuff I see in shops is very austere. However, I went to the RL sample sale in NYC a while back and they had several RLBL great glen plaid/prince of wales patterns....no idea where they were from original retail. So they do exist - somewhere.
post #5 of 10
Nothing has that particular cut. It's very distinct. The closest I've found is the Dior Classic Drop Ten suit but that comes in Black, Navy, and Charcoal. Now that I think of it, I don't believe I've seen RLBL in Charcoal...

You can see what I mean if you go to the Saks website and check out their Dior suit. It's very similar to RLBL but without the heavy shoulders, I'd say and probably finer fabrics.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

Nothing has that particular cut. It's very distinct. The closest I've found is the Dior Classic Drop Ten suit but that comes in Black, Navy, and Charcoal. Now that I think of it, I don't believe I've seen RLBL in Charcoal...
You can see what I mean if you go to the Saks website and check out their Dior suit. It's very similar to RLBL but without the heavy shoulders, I'd say and probably finer fabrics.

This is true. RLBL Anthony is actually a pretty weird cut when you think about it. Very wide shoulders relative to chest size (DIVOT CITY!), heavily padded shoulders, HUGE drop, thin lapels, low rise. And it has full canvas. Nothing else like it.

I actually hate them.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

This is true. RLBL Anthony is actually a pretty weird cut when you think about it. Very wide shoulders relative to chest size (DIVOT CITY!), heavily padded shoulders, HUGE drop, thin lapels, low rise. And it has full canvas. Nothing else like it.
I actually hate them.

Funny you mention the divots. I had them when trying on RLBL and it was a reason that pushed me away, since they said I couldn't live without them completely since I was thin.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflystyle View Post

RLBL offers suits in such a limited color pattern that I'd be surprised if another clothier didn't have something close. I dont want pinstripes ,but would like some more solid and plaids - of which RLBL sells none.
Who makes the closest cut to an RLBL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmprisons View Post

RLBL made to measure

I think doing mtm you can use RLPL fabrics. I believe some of them would still be under $2k. As for what makes Black label distinct? It's not really the dramatic drop as a bunch of brands have those. It's more the structured shoulder that gives the appearance of a wider shoulder. However, some purple label and polo are very similar to RLBL. For example, Polo Bradford model is very similar. Polo Garrison has the same shape and shoulder as Bradford but with wide lapels. Purple Label sometimes is the same as RLBL, but most often Drake and Savile Row models are generally similar. What do you like about Black Label?
post #9 of 10
post #10 of 10
Whats wrong with the solid RLBL suits on Ralph Lauren's site? Navy and Charcoal. Personally I've seen charcoal and navy at Saks in BH (though that was over a year ago). Any Saks should be able to them shipped from that store (assuming they still carry solid colors).

As for RLPL, I don't think you get quite the same look. The RLPL I've seen/own (I have two Saville Row) dont have nearly as strong a shoulder (I prefer the soft shoulder). The waste also isn't as suppressed either, though a tailor can certainly correct that.

When I was looking two years ago, another member recommended John Varvatos mainline. Drop is similar, as is the waste supression... though the shoulders are softer. Can't remember now if they were half canvassed or full.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I want suits with the cut of RLBL, but without the incredibly limited color selection - do any other cuts come close?