or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad 3 - Page 13

post #181 of 736

Your iPhone 4/4S will not break (even after 1,000 drops) unless the impact is on the front or back gorilla glass.  Usually the front is the culprit since we all use cases.  

 

If you seen the "will it blend?" iPhone 4 version, the iPhone just bounces around on the blender like it's nothing until the blade hits the front, and then it shatters into a million pieces.  

 

I've dropped my phone a bunch and it's never broke, but it has never had it's impact on the face, either.  That would be kind of random and hard to do.  

post #182 of 736
Thread Starter 
I have a thin case of mine. Nice and grippy. Even before I put on the case, never felt like I was going to drop it. Unlike the 3G which seems to want to slip out of my hands all the time.
post #183 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

Your iPhone 4/4S will not break (even after 1,000 drops) unless the impact is on the front or back gorilla glass.  Usually the front is the culprit since we all use cases.  

So, like 90% of the surface area?
post #184 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

Your iPhone 4/4S will not break (even after 1,000 drops) unless the impact is on the front or back gorilla glass.  Usually the front is the culprit since we all use cases.  

If you seen the "will it blend?" iPhone 4 version, the iPhone just bounces around on the blender like it's nothing until the blade hits the front, and then it shatters into a million pieces.  

I've dropped my phone a bunch and it's never broke, but it has never had it's impact on the face, either.  That would be kind of random and hard to do.  

I'm curious what your logic is in that dropping your iPhone and having it land on the face surface (and potentially breaking or shattering) is 'hard to do'. I don't really want to argue but I think it's pretty foolish to proclaim that mishandling your iPhone and having it land face-first is rare.
post #185 of 736
I've had several iPhones going all the way back to the original one (currently have the 4) and have never broken one. Each time I've dropped mine, I've managed to either get my foot out there to break the fall, or I've dropped it in such a way that there's no damage. My older son (19) has had several (currently has the 4S that his mom got him for graduation) and has never broken one.

My younger son (17), on the other hand, can't seem to get through a week without cracking the glass and every time you see it the cracks get bigger and bigger until it finally just quits working altogether after a few months. In one case, his mom took it to some repair place that replaced the glass for $100 or so and he managed to break that shortly after. In a couple of cases when I've upgraded my phone, I've given him my old one to use in perfect condition and within a month it's trashed. He won't use a case even though we bought him one. We just make him keep carrying the broken phone (which still works for a while, even though it looks awful) until it just gives up completely and won't work. He no longer has an iPhone because he's just the kind of kid that can't keep from dropping stuff. He now has a more robust phone that's harder to break.
post #186 of 736

What I meant was to have it land face first with impact on a protruding object.  If it lands face first on a huge rock, then, yea, it's likely to shatter.  

 

I disregarded the back because I think most people have cases that protect the back (not the front).  

 

Blah blah blah, who cares, use a case, don't drop your phone.  I've had every iPhone since the original 2G and have at least 30+ drops and no damage.  I guess I'm lucky.  

post #187 of 736
You guys who are getting the iPad and the smart covers: I highly recommend getting a back cover/shield to keep the metal nick and scratch free.
post #188 of 736
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

You guys who are getting the iPad and the smart covers: I highly recommend getting a back cover/shield to keep the metal nick and scratch free.

I agree with this. I'm also not a big fan of Apple's Smart Covers. Every time I have used an iPad with one on, I notice that the magnets don't hold it on well. Same when using one folded as a stand. My parents replaced their Smart Cover with one that covers the front and back and I am going to use the old one for a short while till I find the perfect case.

Speaking of which, any recommendations? Would love a thin one that protects the front and back, uses magnets for the auto shut off and the front part can be folded to be a stand. Leather is my top choice, but wouldn't mind a nice one made out of canvas too.
post #189 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

What I meant was to have it land face first with impact on a protruding object.  If it lands face first on a huge rock, then, yea, it's likely to shatter.  

I disregarded the back because I think most people have cases that protect the back (not the front).  

Blah blah blah, who cares, use a case, don't drop your phone.  I've had every iPhone since the original 2G and have at least 30+ drops and no damage.  I guess I'm lucky.  

The bottom line is that if you drop a case-less iPhone 4/4S enough times on a concrete surface (not a protruding object) it will most likely shatter at some point. If you are using any sort of case (that covers the back) then it might be enough to save the face too because most cases also cover the front edges of the iPhone which will absorb some impact from a fall. The only true risk is if you don't use any case with an iPhone 4/4S.
post #190 of 736
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post

The bottom line is that if you drop a case-less iPhone 4/4S enough times on a concrete surface (not a protruding object) it will most likely shatter at some point. If you are using any sort of case (that covers the back) then it might be enough to save the face too because most cases also cover the front edges of the iPhone which will absorb some impact from a fall. The only true risk is if you don't use any case with an iPhone 4/4S.

You drop any phone enough it will break and if the front is glass it will shatter.

In my mind, cases are mandatory for cell phones. That's one of the things I love about the iPhone. Since it's so popular, the case options are almost limitless.
post #191 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

I agree with this. I'm also not a big fan of Apple's Smart Covers. Every time I have used an iPad with one on, I notice that the magnets don't hold it on well. Same when using one folded as a stand. My parents replaced their Smart Cover with one that covers the front and back and I am going to use the old one for a short while till I find the perfect case.
Speaking of which, any recommendations? Would love a thin one that protects the front and back, uses magnets for the auto shut off and the front part can be folded to be a stand. Leather is my top choice, but wouldn't mind a nice one made out of canvas too.

I use this leather case for my iPad and it is perfect. It covers the front and back of the iPad and acts as a stand too with multiple viewing options. I recommend something similar.

I don't recommend the smart covers. You are better off purchasing a case that covers the front and back of the iPad IMO.
post #192 of 736
Jr - I didn't like the Switcheasy Canvas because it was too heavy, but its a REALLY nice case. Honestly, I like the Smart Cover + clear back shield option. The only thing that you need it to do is prop up the iPad and keep it secure. You don't really need to invest $100 in something like that. I'd get whatever was thin and had reasonably good reviews.
post #193 of 736
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm not really feeling those options, so I am going to keep looking. I can take my time on this since I will be borrowing my rents' old Smart Cover for a while.
post #194 of 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRouse View Post

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm not really feeling those options, so I am going to keep looking. I can take my time on this since I will be borrowing my rents' old Smart Cover for a while.

Then why buy anything else? Just get the back shield and be done with it.
post #195 of 736
Thread Starter 
I already said why.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home