or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Share your tie expertise
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Share your tie expertise

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I have light skin and strawberry blondish hair and I generally wear a navy or charcoal suit. Here's a recent pic: http://i.imgur.com/Jcaof.jpg

I own about 10 ties, but don't really love any of them. Would be nice to have 3 or 4 that are awesome. I've done a little research (i.e. here and here) but remain relatively clueless. My budget is loosely defined, maybe up to $300 for new ties, but I buy most of my clothes on eBay to get a good value on expensive/quality items.

So, what I'm asking:
Links to specific ties that you think will work
Brands that you think I should keep an eye out for based on budget description
(most of my ties at the moment are BB)

Muchos gracias!
post #2 of 38
Ralph Lauren, Robert Talbott - both make great preppy ties. I would sit in the B&S thread and see what you can find, check that often.

Otherwise eBay is your friend, you seem to know him well.
post #3 of 38
RL's good.

More importantly: you need to lose the belt and shirt pocket. No way around it.
post #4 of 38
Drakes and charvet on sale!
post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTukker View Post

RL's good.
More importantly: you need to lose the belt and shirt pocket. No way around it.

Okay, hit me up with a better belt. I had just taken off my suit jacket and loosened my tie in that pic, btw.
post #6 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

Ralph Lauren, Robert Talbott - both make great preppy ties. I would sit in the B&S thread and see what you can find, check that often.
Otherwise eBay is your friend, you seem to know him well.

Thanks. Any reason to focus on preppy ties?
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy88 View Post

Links to specific ties that you think will work
Brands that you think I should keep an eye out for based on budget description[/B] (most of my ties at the moment are BB)

BB does staple regimental stripes. Do you have white/blue, and red/blue? They're staples that go with anything.

302081_mrp_in_l.jpgBlue%2BNecktie.jpg
post #8 of 38
post #9 of 38
Thread Starter 
I don't. Wow, that white/blue looks like it will be perfect. Thanks for the suggestion and any others!
post #10 of 38
be patient and watch ebay. You can find a Drakes/Marinella/Borrelli/Holliday tie for $25-$35 if you are patient.

Obviously watch the B&S too. Many great deals there.
post #11 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHo View Post

be patient and watch ebay. You can find a Drakes/Marinella/Borrelli/Holliday tie for $25-$35 if you are patient.
Obviously watch the B&S too. Many great deals there.

Yeah, for sure. Never heard of one of those brands before though, so thanks. Any others?
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy88 View Post

Thanks. Any reason to focus on preppy ties?

Just my preference, and it seems it would suit you.
post #13 of 38
Start following the Put This On blog. Every week or so the author posts what he calls the ebay Roundup, in which he lists some of the best garments he's been able to find on ebay. It saves you from doing the searching, and he always spots lots of very sweet ties.
post #14 of 38
Ive been known to sell a tie or two in my day.
post #15 of 38
Looking for tie recommendations for this suit:

IMG_2455.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Share your tie expertise