or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best Dressed at Oscars?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Dressed at Oscars? - Page 10

post #136 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle View Post

Show of hands, how many on SF have fucked a mermaid? Just sayin...

Are you including mermen?
post #137 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

Are you including mermen?

It would have to be one of our older members, because she's been dead since '84.

Maybe RSS?
post #138 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

I give up. I've given abundant argument for my view. If you're unwilling to give arguments for yours.....

I've made my argument, and there are two main points that totally eclipse the arguments you make

Point 1
394x700.jpg

Point 2
28-1330332148.jpg

As someone else stated, you're creating an argument in your head for a DJ problem that doesn't even exist in this case.
post #139 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

I would put both JLC and IWC right behind Patek with Blancpain and Breguet. There are a few smaller makers who equal Patek, but they are very limited production. Lange is probably the only larger manufacturer who reaches Patek's level.
Rolex is well below all of those I've listed. It only has a sports line, not fine timepieces.

Vacheron?
post #140 of 213
Thread Starter 
nt

/10char
Edited by furo - 3/1/12 at 5:59am
post #141 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post

Vacheron?

I have to say I did forget AP. Although I hate their US distributor's philosophy (If you didn't buy your AP at full price from an AD, then you're not a true AP owner). Hey buddy, why does your distribution chain dump watches to grey market dealers, then.

But, that's an aside. I forgot them and would put them in the same category as BP, Breguet, IWC, and JLC.

VC uses JLC movements so I'm not so crazy about them. The history is there. The manufacture, unless things have changed in the past couple years, doesn't do it for me.
post #142 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

It would have to be one of our older members, because she's been dead since '84.
Maybe RSS?

I had no idea that RSS has been dead since 1984, but you know, now that I think about it, it explains a lot.
post #143 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

VC uses JLC movements so I'm not so crazy about them. The history is there. The manufacture, unless things have changed in the past couple years, doesn't do it for me.

I am wearing a Swiss made manual wind Mickey Mouse watch from the 70s today.

Yesterday, though, I wore a Lange.

Two days ago, I wore a Braun digital watch.

Three days ago, I wore a JLC.

I thought that I would share since learned WISs appear to be posting in this thread.
post #144 of 213
'
Edited by Kaplan - 2/29/12 at 5:03pm
post #145 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

I have to say I did forget AP. Although I hate their US distributor's philosophy (If you didn't buy your AP at full price from an AD, then you're not a true AP owner). Hey buddy, why does your distribution chain dump watches to grey market dealers, then.
But, that's an aside. I forgot them and would put them in the same category as BP, Breguet, IWC, and JLC.
VC uses JLC movements so I'm not so crazy about them. The history is there. The manufacture, unless things have changed in the past couple years, doesn't do it for me.

Only some movements are done by JLC but then again Patek and AP also use them.
http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631686780396906210
post #146 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

I've made my argument, and there are two main points that totally eclipse the arguments you make
Point 1
Point 2
As someone else stated, you're creating an argument in your head for a DJ problem that doesn't even exist in this case.

Ok, thanks. I think I see what's happening now. You attribute to me a view I don't hold, which is that there is a problem with Hanks's coat. You think that I think that the coat in some way doesn't look good. I never said that. What I said was that a 4x1 shawl almost always looks better than a button-two shawl. In fact, I said:
"...one should always go with 4x1 with a DB shawl. The short shawl does not flatter the face, shoulders, and chest. Despos said that a few years back on SF, and this resoundingly proves him right. The short shawl shortens and shrinks his chest and lengthens and widens his hips and abdomen."

Obviously, this means that 4x1 shawl does a better job of this than button-two. It doesn't mean that Hanks's coat is objectively bad, on any dimension. Nor does it mean that it makes him look bad in any way. It just means that the coat doesn't make him look as good as a 4x1 shawl would have. If I say that a Bentley is better than a Mercedes, does that imply that I think a Mercedes is a bad car?

That's all I've said. Your photos don't contradict it.
post #147 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post

Vacheron?

Yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

I have to say I did forget AP. Although I hate their US distributor's philosophy (If you didn't buy your AP at full price from an AD, then you're not a true AP owner). Hey buddy, why does your distribution chain dump watches to grey market dealers, then.
But, that's an aside. I forgot them and would put them in the same category as BP, Breguet, IWC, and JLC.
VC uses JLC movements so I'm not so crazy about them. The history is there. The manufacture, unless things have changed in the past couple years, doesn't do it for me.


I know that this was sais already, but yeah, jlc makes movements for almost everyone. VC makes plenty of thier own movements, and not only is the history there, but the quality and "fineness" as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Corbera View Post

I am wearing a Swiss made manual wind Mickey Mouse watch from the 70s today.
Yesterday, though, I wore a Lange.
Two days ago, I wore a Braun digital watch.
Three days ago, I wore a JLC.
I thought that I would share since learned WISs appear to be posting in this thread.

Can you give me some of your watches?
post #148 of 213
Finally a truly timeless tux. Leave it to Bond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

I think the sleeves are actually quite well done... here's Daniel Craig doing the same... (from blacktieguide):
craig_justjared.jpg
post #149 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

Ok, thanks. I think I see what's happening now. You attribute to me a view I don't hold, which is that there is a problem with Hanks's coat. You think that I think that the coat in some way doesn't look good. I never said that. What I said was that a 4x1 shawl almost always looks better than a button-two shawl. In fact, I said:
"...one should always go with 4x1 with a DB shawl. The short shawl does not flatter the face, shoulders, and chest. Despos said that a few years back on SF, and this resoundingly proves him right. The short shawl shortens and shrinks his chest and lengthens and widens his hips and abdomen."
Obviously, this means that 4x1 shawl does a better job of this than button-two. It doesn't mean that Hanks's coat is objectively bad, on any dimension. Nor does it mean that it makes him look bad in any way. It just means that the coat doesn't make him look as good as a 4x1 shawl would have. If I say that a Bentley is better than a Mercedes, does that imply that I think a Mercedes is a bad car?
That's all I've said. Your photos don't contradict it.

You're contradicting even yourself and you've warped your argument so many times that I've grown tired just reading through all the garble.

First you say a short shawl doesn't flatter the face, shoulders, and chest. Yet, you also say that Hanks looks perfectly fine in his DJ. If he looks perfectly fine in it, why fix it? Hanks is already tall. He doesn't need the 4x1 and I don't know how many times it's been said now. A 4x1 does nothing for Hanks.
post #150 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah.Dreams View Post

Finally a truly timeless tux. Leave it to Bond.

he looks nice (i hate to be picky, but the jacket could use some suppression), but i think a tux is really best suited with a watch that is on a black leather strap.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best Dressed at Oscars?