or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! - Page 17

post #241 of 478
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJReilly View Post

What is your opinion on grenadine ties? Unlined? How many folds? Thanks.

 

My personal preference is a 3-fold unlined with handrolled edges.

 

If you don't like the "see-through" effect that happens when you get an untipped grenadine then it works just as well to have it silk tipped, NOT self-tipped (in the same fabric) as I think it just becomes too bulky.

post #242 of 478
From my recent visit to Cappelli...

Big choice as always:



My picks:
post #243 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

My personal preference is a 3-fold unlined with handrolled edges.

If you don't like the "see-through" effect that happens when you get an untipped grenadine then it works just as well to have it silk tipped, NOT self-tipped (in the same fabric) as I think it just becomes too bulky.

Personally I like a meaty knot, so I prefer the five fold self tipped versions.
post #244 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post

Personally I like a meaty knot, so I prefer the five fold self tipped versions.

I went with the three fold lined as a trial. Will order more if the tie is satisfactory.

I love ordering things. It's like christmas shog[1].gif
post #245 of 478
Does anyone have any experience with his cashmere ties? He recommends unlined, but I have a feel that I prefer a bulkier knot than the average man.
post #246 of 478
He uses a quite heavy lining by default on his 3-folds, which has an amazing drape and makes a perfect knot, with the right amount of bulk. I can see why he recommends unlined on meatier ties.
post #247 of 478
Just recieved my tie. Impressed with all aspects of his business, aside from maybe his photos of the material. Will certainly order again.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #248 of 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJReilly View Post

Just recieved my tie. Impressed with all aspects of his business, aside from maybe his photos of the material. Will certainly order again.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Go and visit the shop smile.gif

My ties arrived already - sorry for the bad phone pics:


post #249 of 478
I can't visit the shop, but Patrizio is great to work with via email. He took several photos of fabrics for me that aren't online, and he sent me other photos of ones that are online under other lighting. Tracking says they'll arrive tomorrow!
post #250 of 478
I find that the 3-fold lined grenadine has a thick and sturdy knot. Suitable for thick flannel jackets. For spring and summer I might request five fold unlined.
post #251 of 478
I didn't see mention of this anywhere else, so please note that the "buy five for free shipping" deal does not apply to Outlet ties. I asked about it at checkout since I didn't see any discount applied to my order, and Patrizio was kind enough (too kind, really!) to refund my shipping but add a new disclaimer to his site noting that the deal only applies to custom ties. I guess I'm the only cheapskate to have bought 5 Outlet ties at once!
post #252 of 478

Been to Cappelli today. The store was quite easy to find thanks to Unbelragazzo's directions (even though Rubinacci is no longer at Via Filagieri and the Spada store is now a different brand I don't remember (Borrelli or Cucinelli?). Patrizio is a really nice guy. Unfortunately, I'm a very shy person, and my spoken English is pretty bad, so I didn't talk to him as much as I would have liked; and I didn't feel comfortable snapping any pictures, besides one of the courtyard where the store is located.

I settled on two madders, two challis and two pocket squares. Might get one or two more ties if I have enough money left before I leave!

post #253 of 478
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post
 

Been to Cappelli today. The store was quite easy to find thanks to Unbelragazzo's directions (even though Rubinacci is no longer at Via Filagieri and the Spada store is now a different brand I don't remember (Borrelli or Cucinelli?). Patrizio is a really nice guy. Unfortunately, I'm a very shy person, and my spoken English is pretty bad, so I didn't talk to him as much as I would have liked; and I didn't feel comfortable snapping any pictures, besides one of the courtyard where the store is located.

I settled on two madders, two challis and two pocket squares. Might get one or two more ties if I have enough money left before I leave!

 

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself over there!! It is like an Aladdin's cave for the sartorial gent.

post #254 of 478

I'll be back tomorrow or saturday. Finally spent less than I thought on my trip! :p

post #255 of 478
Just a heads up to fellow Canadians planning on making an order: I got hit with a $120 tax/duty bill (on $350 worth of ties...). I thought it was an error but I checked the cbsa calculator and I guess we just have ridiculous tariffs on apparel. censored.gif

Well, yet another reason to plan a trip to Naples...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!