or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! - Page 2

post #16 of 444
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

Why are people expecting a deal? This place is looking like ask andy more and more everyday.
50 euros covers shipping and duties - which are ungodly expensive on silks, wools, etc...


I was wondering about that... There are many posts here about how people have been screwed on customs and duties, it offers a certain peace of mind to know what is the final price you will pay.

post #17 of 444

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

Why are people expecting a deal? This place is looking like ask andy more and more everyday.
50 euros covers shipping and duties - which are ungodly expensive on silks, wools, etc...


I don't thinking anyone was complaining - merely pointing out that the article referenced in the OP was wrong in assuming that the ties were reasonably priced.

 

FWIW, I have ordered a ton of silks, wools from the EU (in larger quantities and weights that a single tie) and never been charged 50 euros for shipping. Either way, its his store / business and he is welcome to charge the price he likes. I'll continue to order via NSM.

post #18 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post




I don't thinking anyone was complaining - merely pointing out that the article referenced in the OP was wrong in assuming that the ties were reasonably priced.

FWIW, I have ordered a ton of silks, wools from the EU (in larger quantities and weights that a single tie) and never been charged 50 euros for shipping. Either way, its his store / business and he is welcome to charge the price he likes. I'll continue to order via NSM.

As have I - but every once in a while I'm hit with a $200 bill for a single shirt from France.
post #19 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAdviser View Post




I guess not.

Good news for consumers, bad news for bottom feeding middle men.

facepalm.gif
post #20 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post




I don't thinking anyone was complaining - merely pointing out that the article referenced in the OP was wrong in assuming that the ties were reasonably priced.

FWIW, I have ordered a ton of silks, wools from the EU (in larger quantities and weights that a single tie) and never been charged 50 euros for shipping. Either way, its his store / business and he is welcome to charge the price he likes. I'll continue to order via NSM.

You can order Cappelli via NsM? Does Mina bring swatches with her for ties? Is the construction then Cappelli as well or Mina does them using Cappelli silks?
post #21 of 444
Why are the fabrics not listed in the details?
post #22 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


You can order Cappelli via NsM? Does Mina bring swatches with her for ties? Is the construction then Cappelli as well or Mina does them using Cappelli silks?


Yes

Yes

Cappelli makes'em

post #23 of 444
This shipping cost is just stupid. We've had e-commerce for what, the better part of nearly 25 years now? To me, and this is being very cynical based on a single data point, this is why old-line Italian companies are dying. Luxury brands are making a killing right now. The whole world is interconnected by the web, delivered by FedEx, UPS, and the USPS and it's in-country partners. Yet you can't deliver your product to me for a reasonable price?
post #24 of 444
In a sense most all Cappellis are "exclusive" in that most of the silks he gets are in squares than can make at most four ties.
post #25 of 444

Really? It seems that the Macclesfield prints he gets are the same as those shown at Marinella, Drake's and Hober. I always assumed there was a big central supplier of those silks somewhere in the UK.

post #26 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

Really? It seems that the Macclesfield prints he gets are the same as those shown at Marinella, Drake's and Hober. I always assumed there was a big central supplier of those silks somewhere in the UK.

There is. They try not to sell the same silks to the same people (you'll noticed shared patterns but different colorways among different makers). If you order your own design, you have an exclusivity period (7 years I think), but you are talking buying much more than simply enough for a few ties. The silks come two ways, in panels or continuous, what Manton is referring to are the panels. The panels are more expensive because there you get lower yields with it when making a tie (there is about a 1 inch blank space in between the panels). I just got my first "exclusive" shipment but I would not be surprised to see the same thing in a different color and with one missing or added pattern (a diamond, flower etc). There is also a large woven silk printer in england, not sure if Capelli uses them but Kiton definitely does. I am having them do an escorial wool/silk blend in a neat pattern, very cool looking and feeling.
post #27 of 444

^ Very interesting, thanks Ed

post #28 of 444
Yeah, in Naples I saw a few of the same ties at marinella, cappelli, Cilento, etc. So some of them must be made off those roles. However, Cappelli's business is focused on more exclusive offerings and his stock is far, far smaller. More than once I have tried to get this or that tie only to be told it was gone. I don't know what the % of exclusive v. roll is there, but he has a heavier emphasis on the former than anyone else that I could tell.

Well, except that Rubinacci seemed to have completely exclusive stuff.
post #29 of 444
Feels like the 10 ties I bought last time I saw Mina were 50% off.
post #30 of 444
vanners for the wovens
adamley for the prints

these are the two british companies
responsible for most of the silks
and patterns for ties
that are commonly
discussed
here

they are the 'designers'
calling on their
extensive archives.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE!