or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What's the MOST REALISTIC horror film?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the MOST REALISTIC horror film?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
In your opinions, whats the most realistic horror film there's ever been. My main reason for never being a horror fan was due to the fact that horror films are silly and unrealistic, with guys being shot and stabbed and coming back.
post #2 of 47
Not sure if you would qualify it as a horror film or a thriller, but Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is very realistic and very disturbing.
post #3 of 47
I've always been a fan of the ones that don't have any supernatural component. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a favorite, as well as Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses.

They're outlandish in the sense that there probably aren't murderous families hiding out in our rural areas and chopping people up, but they're realistic in that it's entirely possible that there could be such a thing. Also, the directors of those types of horror movies tend to stay away from the whole "shot 10 times and still coming at you" thing. In those movies, when you get slashed and hung on a meat hook, you're dead.
post #4 of 47
The Exorcist when your a pre-teen and catholic.
post #5 of 47
Deliverance when traveling below the Mason-Dixon line.
post #6 of 47
+1 for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Scared the hell out of me as a kid.
post #7 of 47
A Nightmare on Elm Street. It came out two years ago. You will not get any sleep afterwards.
post #8 of 47
Away From Her
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I've always been a fan of the ones that don't have any supernatural component. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a favorite, as well as Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses.
They're outlandish in the sense that there probably aren't murderous families hiding out in our rural areas and chopping people up, but they're realistic in that it's entirely possible that there could be such a thing. Also, the directors of those types of horror movies tend to stay away from the whole "shot 10 times and still coming at you" thing. In those movies, when you get slashed and hung on a meat hook, you're dead.

Cabin Fever sticks out in my mind as a horror movie with no supernatural element- and, really, no malefic agent at all- that manages to be even more loopy and unrealistic because of it. I'm still not sure how to categorize it; in a genre where a self-aware sense of camp is typical, it stands apart. I'd say it's a horror-comedy where the comedy element is played completely straight.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

The Exorcist when your a pre-teen and catholic.

This is totally realistic until the head revolving which for me broke the suspension of disbelief.

Kubrick's the Shining is another good one,
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

A Nightmare on Elm Street. It came out two years ago. You will not get any sleep afterwards.

Lol it came out like twenty years ago.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Lol it came out like twenty years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179056/ facepalm.giffacepalm.gif
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179056/ facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Why would you watch that?

Edit: just checked, and the US release date for that piece of shit was the same as Harry Brown. Now maybe you saw both but if you saw that pile of garbage over Harry Brown then you hate movies. And Harry Brown was also undoubtedly more realistically scarier than an imaginary man with claws.
post #14 of 47
500 Days of Summer
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangfastic View Post

This is totally realistic until the head revolving which for me broke the suspension of disbelief.
Kubrick's the Shining is another good one,

But there clearly ARE supernatural forces afoot in The Shining. How did Jack manage to escape from the storage room if not for something opening the door from the other side?

There's an ambiguity throughout the film of what is garden-variety delirium, what is some supernaturally-provoked hallucination, and what is a genuinely supernatural occurrence. Arguably, this is part of what makes it unsatisfactory as a horror movie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What's the MOST REALISTIC horror film?