or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Going to Japan in Late March to Early April
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to Japan in Late March to Early April - Page 2

post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

That's a great idea, edina! I'm goin to research bonsai in general and see what comes up.
That reminds me, I meant to ask if anyone has ever seen a bonsai sakura?

Yes, bonsai sakura do exist.

Keep in mind many countries have rather strict policies on the importation of plants (and animals). You may want to check that before boarding a plane with yours.

Another thing to keep in mind in the cherry blossom festival. Typically the best viewing is in April, and Kyoto is ground zero, so you may have that opportunity, too. Of course competition for lodging and transport will be great, so book early.
post #17 of 57
If sightseeing is what you really wish to do, I would try to spend the majority of your time in Kyoto, and take a trip out to Nara as well if you have time. You could easily spend days in Kyoto and not see everything. If you head to Osaka rather than Kobe, I can help you with the shopping recommendations as well, including denim. I've only been to Kobe a handful of times, and am much more knowledgeable about Osaka. I'll second the recommendation to see Himeji castle, as it really is impressive, although it's unfortunate that the main keep of the castle is essentially encased in a giant box at the moment. Osaka castle is beautiful this time of year as well, with the plum blossoms and sakura blooming. In any case, enjoy your trip, it's a great time of year to be visiting.
post #18 of 57
Thread Starter 
Thank you guys! Two years ago we were in Tokyo and Kyoto for the sakura blossoming - just stunning, and I could eat two boxes of the sakura-flavored mochi in one sitting. I love how the television news have updates on the percentage the blossoms are at that time. Serious business!
post #19 of 57
Well, depends on what kind of jeans you want - prices are pretty fixed on things like that, so it doesn't matter if you buy them at a specialist's shop, a boutique, at a department store, and it doesn't matter which city you buy them in either.
The depth of the selection at department stores wouldn't be as good as the standalone shops (though they can order stuff in, as the stores are not really part of the department store, they're just small store in stores representing their own brands), but check the department stores out - Isetan in Shinjuku 3-chome is like shopping heaven. Virtually every brand ever discussed on styleforum is basically carried under the same roof, and the food hall is pretty amazing too. The import stuff is all taxed here a bit, especially shoes, but the domestic stuff is interesting too. You could spend a day without getting out of the basement of Isetan, it's got a food hall next to a men's shoes hall - goes from left to right in price, from like $200 to $2000. Somewhere in the middle it gets good, the Tricker's are next to Aldens, next to the Crockett and Jones, next to the Alfred Sargents, next to the Carminas, and so on. Upstairs the 'young casual' floor has the Visvim is next to the Junya Watanabe, next to the White Mountaineering, next to the N. Hoolywood, next to the Julius, next to the Undercover, next to the Rick Owens, etc, etc. The MC-type stuff is on the next floor. Pretty spectacular sight for shoppers. Would be incredibly easy to drop five figures in there.

Shopping in Harajuku or Aoyama can happen, but you need a directory or map of sorts, and then be ready to cover a lot of pavement. Doing those places for real shopping is a good day in itself. If you are limited on time you can probably limit yourself to daytime walking between the area bounded by Shibuya station, up to to Harajuku station, then down Omotesando and then back right down Aoyama-dori back to Shibuya, plus the block down in Minami-Aoyama with the Prada store (must be seen) and then CDG and 10 Corso Como and Undercover in the back street. There's not that much daytime stuff to see at Aoyama itchome or Gaienmae, or up in Akasaka. At Gaienmae there's Aoyama Bell Commons - you might want to check out Cibone, it's a pretty cool design shop with a mix of imported stuff and Japanese stuff.

What are you gonna eat in Tokyo?
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Well, depends on what kind of jeans you want - prices are pretty fixed on things like that, so it doesn't matter if you buy them at a specialist's shop, a boutique, at a department store, and it doesn't matter which city you buy them in either.
The depth of the selection at department stores wouldn't be as good as the standalone shops (though they can order stuff in, as the stores are not really part of the department store, they're just small store in stores representing their own brands), but check the department stores out - Isetan in Shinjuku 3-chome is like shopping heaven. Virtually every brand ever discussed on styleforum is basically carried under the same roof, and the food hall is pretty amazing too. The import stuff is all taxed here a bit, especially shoes, but the domestic stuff is interesting too. You could spend a day without getting out of the basement of Isetan, it's got a food hall next to a men's shoes hall - goes from left to right in price, from like $200 to $2000. Somewhere in the middle it gets good, the Tricker's are next to Aldens, next to the Crockett and Jones, next to the Alfred Sargents, next to the Carminas, and so on. Upstairs the 'young casual' floor has the Visvim is next to the Junya Watanabe, next to the White Mountaineering, next to the N. Hoolywood, next to the Julius, next to the Undercover, next to the Rick Owens, etc, etc. The MC-type stuff is on the next floor. Pretty spectacular sight for shoppers. Would be incredibly easy to drop five figures in there.
Shopping in Harajuku or Aoyama can happen, but you need a directory or map of sorts, and then be ready to cover a lot of pavement. Doing those places for real shopping is a good day in itself. If you are limited on time you can probably limit yourself to daytime walking between the area bounded by Shibuya station, up to to Harajuku station, then down Omotesando and then back right down Aoyama-dori back to Shibuya, plus the block down in Minami-Aoyama with the Prada store (must be seen) and then CDG and 10 Corso Como and Undercover in the back street. There's not that much daytime stuff to see at Aoyama itchome or Gaienmae, or up in Akasaka. At Gaienmae there's Aoyama Bell Commons - you might want to check out Cibone, it's a pretty cool design shop with a mix of imported stuff and Japanese stuff.
What are you gonna eat in Tokyo?

Second everything impolyt_one said except the shoes. You're a size 12 right? Isetan don't carry much over Japanese size 27.5 (you can get lucky).
post #21 of 57
Yeah size 12 is huge, what is that, 30cm? Should be able to find some clothes here and there though.
post #22 of 57
Thread Starter 
The friend we are staying with has two restaurants - one curry and one based on the traditional fare that sumo wrestlers eat. This woman is good friends with some retired sumo wrestlers and is going to take us to visit the place where the wrestlers live and train. Anyway, she's a food fanatic and basically takes us around town to eat.

I went to a chicken restaurant last time I was there and ate chicken sashimi. It was very good and there's not many places in the world where you can immediately overcome your instincts on such matters as raw chicken and enjoy it immediately, but Japan is one of them.

We also ate at a shabu-shabu restaurant in Roppongi called Serena.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Isetan department store.
post #23 of 57
Thread Starter 
I'm not really worried about clothing for myself - I gave up very quickly last time. I do look forward to spending more time on Omotesando than last visit.
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

The friend we are staying with has two restaurants - one curry and one based on the traditional fare that sumo wrestlers eat. This woman is good friends with some retired sumo wrestlers and is going to take us to visit the place where the wrestlers live and train. Anyway, she's a food fanatic and basically takes us around town to eat.
I went to a chicken restaurant last time I was there and ate chicken sashimi. It was very good and there's not many places in the world where you can immediately overcome your instincts on such matters as raw chicken and enjoy it immediately, but Japan is one of them.
We also ate at a shabu-shabu restaurant in Roppongi called Serena.
Thanks for the recommendations on the Isetan department store.

I wouldn't bet my life on it.
post #25 of 57
That's probably alright anyway, people in Tokyo aren't really into clothes anymore and it's kind of a dead scene here. Everybody is wearing cheap neo-Amekaji or watered down work inspired stuff. The rest of the world has caught up as well in recent years, so you can find it back home now too, unless you're looking to get Visvim for cheaper or something. No point in trying to buy Aldens here for like, $1300.

In Tokyo it's all about the food and the drinks, and the boho/rich hippy home furnishings (need a $300 reproduction brass garden spade from Finland? a $30,000 scrapwood sideboard?) and lifestyle things, art books, etc lately. Eat a good burger, eat some neo-French, some ramen and soba, drink some precision made cocktails, buy some curiosities.
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Yeah size 12 is huge, what is that, 30cm? Should be able to find some clothes here and there though.

Longer than that. Size US 9 - 9.5 are approx. 30 cm.
post #27 of 57
Thread Starter 
I always thought 15 cm was a 12. shog[1].gif
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon View Post

Longer than that. Size US 9 - 9.5 are approx. 30 cm.

Yeah but I think impolyt_one meant Japanese size 30. U.S. 9 is about Japanese size 27.5.
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I always thought 15 cm was a 12. shog[1].gif

You have one of those rulers as well?
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

That's a great idea, edina!

The only reason I ask is because no one has ever said this to me but... seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

That reminds me, I meant to ask if anyone has ever seen a bonsai sakura?

Yes. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rumpleteaser/4467001238/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Going to Japan in Late March to Early April