or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › 4 Nights in New York in June (yes another thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4 Nights in New York in June (yes another thread) - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
Anyone ever do Fat Dave's Food Tour? Thinking strongly about it.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunk View Post

Anyone ever do Fat Dave's Food Tour? Thinking strongly about it.

never did it(as a ny-er), but just looked at the site........this your first time in nyc?
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

yep..i live appr 3 blocks from Bk Fare.....VERY pricey and you never know what they are serving until you get there....

I have been taking in some pretty good recommendations on bars/restaurants from many brooklynites... I'd love some for Brooklyn as well as Manhattan from you if you have time to spare, any help at this point is much appreciated.
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

never did it(as a ny-er), but just looked at the site........this your first time in nyc?

First time was last year which is odd because I travel a lot for work but besides a few companies having offices in NYC, not much going on there in the Oil and Gas Industry.

Anyway, this will be my wife's first time we are both big foodie fans and most of our trips revolve around food (and shopping). We are pumped.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomSquared View Post

I have been taking in some pretty good recommendations on bars/restaurants from many brooklynites... I'd love some for Brooklyn as well as Manhattan from you if you have time to spare, any help at this point is much appreciated.

Brooklyn Inn-Bergen St and Hoyt(one of the oldest bars in Bklyn.)
4th Avenue Pub-4th avenue and Bergen(great selection of beers and free popcorn)

(for starters)
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Ok so my wife and I just got back from our trip and had a blast. Easily could have spent another day or two if we had more cash and if wasn't so muggy. Anyway here are some highlights / notes of what we did and likes/dislikes:

- We ended up staying at a Hampton Inn on 35th street near Korea Town. Location was perfect as it was steps from the Herald Square subway station and we were always on the go. Rooms were small but paid for it all with Hilton Points and like I said, location for our needs was great and we spent hardly any time there.

- For Breakfast,Snacks and Drinks, we enjoyed the relative close locations of Madison Square Park (especially with Madison Square Eats going on), Eatlay and the Ace Hotel (stump town plus great lobby). We enjoyed all of these locales multiple times.

- Katz's Pastrami was everything it was hyped to be (the brisket was a little bland though). The aggregation of the place was a little off putting dealing with the lines at the counter, finding a table, etc. Would go back for the Pastrami though.

- The East Village may have been my favorite spot especially for people watching and overall Eats. Crif Dog, Porchetta, Big Gay Ice Cream and Noodle Bar were all great and would make a point to do them all again on our next trip.

- Biggest disappointment was Babbo without a doubt due primarily to our waiter who had an attitude of basically wishing he was somewhere else. Really ruined the evening for us given they hype, month long reservation process and overall cost for the whole experience.

- For shopping, most of the time (and my money) was spent at Epaulet (both locations). That said, we did walk down a large chunk of 5th Avenue and stopped into Uniqlo, Gant and a few other shops. Also ran into Century 21 real quick for a few pairs of socks.

- In terms of touristy stuff, I am glad to say we did nearly nothing with the exception of taking the Statin Island Ferry. We also went to the W Hotel Downtown for a few drinks over looking Ground Zero (highly recommended). That said that was it. We never saw Time Square, Central Park or anything of the like. Our families will think we are crazy.

Thanks for everyone's input. Cannot wait until the next trip!
post #22 of 25
Glad you had a good time in nYc...
post #23 of 25
just got back from NY myself. hot and humid as shit but awesome as always. had the best cheeseburger at Peter Luger's, the most authentic paella i've ever had at Socarrat, some of the most exquisite and delicious desserts at Chika licious, the best damn lobster roll on earth at Luke's(i have 4-5 every time i go to NY), some solid meatballs at The Meatball Shop, and some of the freshest pasta at Supper and Babbo. luckily, we had a fantastic waiter at Babbo that was super knowledgeable and very friendly. we walked in on saturday night at 10:30, without reservations, and were seated within 20 minutes! really got lucky with that one, probably had to do with the memorial weekend.

also, the Prada x Schiaparelli exhibit was beautiful and is definitely a must see.

gotta check out ground zero next time i go-i heard that you need to make reservations? need to get some katz's as well.

can't wait to go back! now if i could just do something about the weather...
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzynr78 View Post

just got back from NY myself. hot and humid as shit but awesome as always. had the best cheeseburger at Peter Luger's, the most authentic paella i've ever had at Socarrat, some of the most exquisite and delicious desserts at Chika licious, the best damn lobster roll on earth at Luke's(i have 4-5 every time i go to NY), some solid meatballs at The Meatball Shop, and some of the freshest pasta at Supper and Babbo. luckily, we had a fantastic waiter at Babbo that was super knowledgeable and very friendly. we walked in on saturday night at 10:30, without reservations, and were seated within 20 minutes! really got lucky with that one, probably had to do with the memorial weekend.
also, the Prada x Schiaparelli exhibit was beautiful and is definitely a must see.
gotta check out ground zero next time i go-i heard that you need to make reservations? need to get some katz's as well.
can't wait to go back! now if i could just do something about the weather...

No reservations for Ground Zero(the area)....however reservations are needed for the 9/11 museum.
post #25 of 25
Glad you had a good time. I live in the East Village, so I am glad that my 'hood represented well (next time, make sure you try out some of the burger places: Mark Burger, Whitman's, Korzo Haus, BlkMkt, Black Iron, and Royale for starters)
.
As for other affordable hotels (for future travellers), the newly remodeled Lola (on 30th btwn Park and Madison) has really nice rooms at a reasonable price and is right next to the subway. The Ace Hotel also has some good deals as does the newly opened NoMad (plus, the NoMad bar was recently voted as one of the top new bars in the world).




check out my blog: www.therakishbonvivant.blogspot.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › 4 Nights in New York in June (yes another thread)