or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Alternatives to Allen Edmonds shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alternatives to Allen Edmonds shoes?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Aesthetically, AE shoes just didn't work out for me.  However, they have a versatile stable of shoes at very reasonable prices, whether you buy them full price at ~$330 or as seconds / on sale at ~$200.  With the number of styles they have, one could easily and economically stock their entire shoe collection using only AE. 

 

That's what I'm looking for - suggestions for another reasonably priced, "one-stop shop" brand.  My next choice was Alden but the price point jumps to $450-$500 (not that they aren't worth it).  So what other brands should I consider?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 19
I've recently switched from AE to Magnanni as my shoe of choice. I don't think the leather is as high a quality, but they have a more contemporary aesthetic, extremely comfortable insole, and can always be found for under $200 in discounter stores like Off Fifth or Last Call.
post #3 of 19

Although I would be considered a newbie by the veterans here, I've lurked for years, so my confusion as to your question is not one of being new to the boards.  You say you think the AE's are very reasonable even at retail of $330, but you choose to pass on Aldens at $450 as apparently being too much.  That's not a lot of leeway, my friend.  As to your question; I would simply save a tad more cash and get benchgrade C & J's that can be had for about $500, but if you find the Aldens too much then I guess they're out.  You should probably stick with the AE's.  I don't see you getting a jump in quality by only being willing to spend less than 100 bucks or so.  Good luck.

post #4 of 19
loake 1880, loake for herring (bit cheaper), cheaney (bit more expensive)

trouble is that you won't be able to try them on before buying
post #5 of 19
+1 on Loake
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 

boo - you're right about Magnanni's, for all of the reasons you mentioned (but especially the more contemporary look).

 

ManCrush - I see your point about price.  I should have focused on the sale aspect of AE's more.  Over the last few months we've been able to grab Park Avenues, Strands, Kenilworths, Cliftons, and Bostons for around $200 each (either on sale or as seconds).  Those names alone would have filled out a nice selection and only cost around $1,000 total.  Aldens retail at (let's say) $450 but if there were comparable sales or seconds offerings, that could easily put them in the top spot.  And there might be, I just haven't seen them (yet).   

post #7 of 19
I haven't even the slightest interest in Alden. They are overpriced to hell and are not very attractive, so you're not alone there.


Magnannis are nice...no question I have a pair of double monks. Trouble is they take the chiseled toe a little far and that works only with some suiting and very rarely with casual outfits.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Quad, Fred, at first glance the Loakes look nice!  Thanks so much for the suggestion!


Edited by JohnGagne - 2/13/12 at 6:38pm
post #9 of 19
I've had good luck ordering Loakes from forum affiliate A Fine Pair Of Shoes. I definitely would recommend them for Loakes. I know others have used Pediwear as well. I find they are a whole size lower than AE. My foot is slightly wide (AE 10E) but the UK standard fitting for Loake (UK 9F) fits me really well. I actually ordered a pair of Loake Litchfields from A Fine Pair Of Shoes and they arrived in NJ the next day, which I didn't even realize would even be possible.
Fred
post #10 of 19

Meermin look to have very nice shoes, but their online retail site isn't up yet. I have double monks due in tomorrow, so I can comment then on quality, fit, etc.

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGagne View Post

Aesthetically, AE shoes just didn't work out for me.  However, they have a versatile stable of shoes at very reasonable prices, whether you buy them full price at ~$330 or as seconds / on sale at ~$200.  With the number of styles they have, one could easily and economically stock their entire shoe collection using only AE. 

That's what I'm looking for - suggestions for another reasonably priced, "one-stop shop" brand.  My next choice was Alden but the price point jumps to $450-$500 (not that they aren't worth it).  So what other brands should I consider?

Thanks!

Not sure if it has been mentioned...You might want to check out Grenson as well.
post #12 of 19

To Boot New York.  The shoes that I have seen are mostly Blake or Rapid construction, not  Goodyear welted, though. If you're a Goodyear snob, that could be a problem.  The one pair of wingtips I have are holding up very well, and Adam Derrick seems to be designing a nice variety of styles...

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosacto View Post

To Boot New York.  The shoes that I have seen are mostly Blake or Rapid construction, not  Goodyear welted, though. If you're a Goodyear snob, that could be a problem.  The one pair of wingtips I have are holding up very well, and Adam Derrick seems to be designing a nice variety of styles...

meh. The leathers on the TBNY shoes I've seen were very disappointing and seemed to crease substantially. To me they are more of a fashion brand
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions - I definitely have a lot to work with here.

 

I'm already into Magnannis and so far that's a direction I like - a nice contemporary shoe for a slim foot with a decent sized heel at a nice price.  TBNY shoes also look nice but I've only seen a few in person and they seem to have the same slightly abbreviated heel that AE has, though I need to see them side by side to be sure (I'm probably wrong here). 

 

Loakes look very promising and thanks Fred for the forum hookup. 

 

The Meermins look really nice online, I just wish they were easier to see in person.  The same goes with the Grensons - some of these just look amazing! 

 

Like I said, lots to work with.  Thanks!

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCrush View Post

Although I would be considered a newbie by the veterans here, I've lurked for years, so my confusion as to your question is not one of being new to the boards.  You say you think the AE's are very reasonable even at retail of $330, but you choose to pass on Aldens at $450 as apparently being too much.  That's not a lot of leeway, my friend.  As to your question; I would simply save a tad more cash and get benchgrade C & J's that can be had for about $500, but if you find the Aldens too much then I guess they're out.  You should probably stick with the AE's.  I don't see you getting a jump in quality by only being willing to spend less than 100 bucks or so.  Good luck.

Where can one get C&J's for $500?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Alternatives to Allen Edmonds shoes?