or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Deo Veritas MTM Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deo Veritas MTM Shirts - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Hmm. Two brand new posters, both with a faux-folksy style, who just happen to love Deo Veritas. That kind of bullshit makes me glad I never tried this company.

it is really amazing how closely these spam reviews hew to the same model. There's a very standard outline that goes something like (1) provide inane detail to establish authenticity, (2) prove bona fides by detailing previous experience, (3) appeal to authority by reference to some industry insider or by comparison to other fine products, and (4) describe rapturous contentment with the product.
post #17 of 29
FlyingMonkey ... Why have such a negative view? You originally posted looking for reviews of DV. You got some and feel that they are untruthful, fabricated bullshit. I dare you to order one! Then provide your own assessment. Though I am new to this forum, no forum needs "haters" like you. Sorry for the frankness, but real what you sow.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineaux View Post

FlyingMonkey ... Why have such a negative view? You originally posted looking for reviews of DV. You got some and feel that they are untruthful, fabricated bullshit. I dare you to order one! Then provide your own assessment. Though I am new to this forum, no forum needs "haters" like you. Sorry for the frankness, but real what you sow.

 

Bogus or suspicious reviews happen quite frequently, which you will discover if you hang around long enough.

 

And, by the way, please don't pretend it's frankness, you are just being insulting and ignorant. You would do well to modify your aggressive attitude if you really mean to actually contribute something of value to this forum - which you are most welcome to do.

post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Sikka View Post

 

 

Thank-you for contributing, Vinnie. What would you say makes your operation better than the many other MTM shirt companies out there? Clearly, your website is attractive and things look good or I wouldn't have started this thread, but what's your personal take?

post #20 of 29

First of all, I think we need to cut the rhetoric around the validity of the two reviews that you're calling into question.  Both are in fact current customers that came to us after they received their shirts with a very positive experience that they wanted to share.  I encouraged both to contribute their experience to Styleforum because I found it to be the most valuable resource for this type of exchange. 

Like I said in my prior post, neither have any affiliation with our company other than the fact that they are satisfied customers.  Neither was apparently a current styleforum poster which seems to be the reason their reviews are being flagged.  I'm assuming that if they wrote a fiercely critical review most folks would nod their heads and agree that the review looked legitimate?

All in all -- fake testimonials is a route we would never go.  It's just not worth it and we don't need to do it.  If you sincerely question the validity of these reviews, I encourage you (or others) to PM these two directly. 

Anyway -- Flying Monkey, to answer your earlier question, "what makes us a better operation than other MTM makers?"  Well, that's a conversation I think we could have for hours.  First of all, there are now literally 200 different MTM makers to consider, whereas 5 years ago there were only a handful.  It's becoming a very crowded yet I think you'll agree that certain companies have distinguished themselves from the field. 

A big differentiator between us and some of the other Asian based outfits is that we are not a factory.  As evidenced by the video on our site, our production facility is in a high rise in downtown Kowloon (Hong Kong).  As a result, we have an immensely talented group of employees that love working for us.  Even though we could use domestic (Chinese) fabric, we import almost everything exclusively from Italy and Egypt -- in addition to some really nice patterns from Japan.  Again, I think this is quite different than some of the other mainstream providers. 

A few years back, when we first began to hit significant order quantities, we struggled with meeting our slated delivery times.  Sacrificing quality for speed was not a path we wanted to take even though we could have.  We absorbed the criticism around the delays and instituted measures to shorten the delivery cycle without sacrificing the end product.  When you see our product, you'll see what I mean.  The materials are premium, the stitching is clean with little fraying, the buttons are thoroughly secured, the patterns are perfectly aligned, ... you get the idea.

Another big thing with us is customization beyond the basics.  Sewn interlinings, custom designs for collars / cuffs / pleats, horizontal stripes -- these are just a few of the areas that we have no issue in helping customers replicate.  We do this almost always at no additional cost.  Just recently we worked with a client to create an exact replica of the cocktail cuff worn by Sean Connery in Dr. No.  The customer actually provided us with a copy of the original design specification used by the studio when that shirt was originally commissioned back in the early 60's.  We truly love these type of requests since we find it fascinating and it helps us better hone our skills. 

So to answer your question, what makes us different?  I guess we're the construction firm that prefers building one-off custom homes vs. the developer that builds endless blocks of the same 2 story Cape.

Like I said, I could go on and on but I have a crying baby that needs her dad.  I think the only way to convince certain skeptics is to just try us out.  If anyone is interested, email me directly and I'm sure we can figure something out. 

Thanks guys,
Vinnie

post #21 of 29
Since my review was called into question, I would like to point-out that I discovered DV through the Gentlemen's Gazette (http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/). Sven doesn't rely on third-parties for his reviews, he actually buys everything he reviews. At the time he reviewed the DV shirts, he believed them to be one of the best. So, for $125, I thought I would give DV a try. I am happy.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi27 View Post

I tried Deo Veritas a few years back, when I was testing out different MTM shirtmakers. They made me 2 very well-fitting shirts that I still wear now, but when I placed another order it got delayed for many weeks past the expected delivery/order lead time, and my multiple inquiries were met with BS about how "it's been shipped and is on the way". I got fed up, got my refund, and they've lost my business since then.

It's really too bad because they made me good shirts that last a long time and were worth the $$. I also had some fairly terrible experiences with other MTM shirtmakers like NiAlma, where seams on their shirts started bursting after a few washes.

Kamakura shirts look promising, maybe I will give them a try if one of their sizes fit me well.

Congrats on being able to get your refund, samadhi27. Vinnie, if you are reading, I would appreciate if I could get my money back too. My order number was #100000649, which was placed on 2 November 2012.

The history of correspondences I referred to in my post above on 5 May 2013, I can forward to you if needed.

Regards,
post #23 of 29

So, I personally looked into this order and have to refute much of what you've claimed.  After you placed your order, our Support team literally went back and forth with you over a long period trying to let you know that your measurements were incorrect.  That was the sole reason for the delay.  We were never confused with your measurements.  They were just wrong.  For some reason, your profile was a mix of both body and shirt measurements. 

Traditional body measurements are measured around the circumference of the body whereas shirt measurements are measured across the diameter of an existing shirt.  They're totally different.  When we asked you to revisit the existing shirt measurements in question (chest, waist, bottom) that we noted looked like body measurements, you simply divided those three measurement values by two.  We indicated that this was not correct and would have resulted in a badly fitted shirt (Ex. A 35" body chest measurement does not equal a 17.5" shirt chest measurement). 

When you responded to us for a refund, we indicated that the shirt was finally in production and that you would have it soon.  We never heard back from you regarding a refund or if you were satisfied / unsatisfied with the shirt once it was actually received.

A week back, in response to your post above, I personally extended you an offer to either refund your order or to offer you another shirt to replace the original.  We received no response to either. 

We really tried hard from the get go to make this work but for the reasons noted above it just didn't. 

 

-Vinnie

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Sikka View Post

So, I personally looked into this order and have to refute much of what you've claimed.  After you placed your order, our Support team literally went back and forth with you over a long period trying to let you know that your measurements were incorrect.  That was the sole reason for the delay.  We were never confused with your measurements.  They were just wrong.  For some reason, your profile was a mix of both body and shirt measurements. 


Traditional body measurements are measured around the circumference of the body whereas shirt measurements are measured across the diameter of an existing shirt.  They're totally different.  When we asked you to revisit the existing shirt measurements in question (chest, waist, bottom) that we noted looked like body measurements, you simply divided those three measurement values by two.  We indicated that this was not correct and would have resulted in a badly fitted shirt (Ex. A 35" body chest measurement does not equal a 17.5" shirt chest measurement). 


When you responded to us for a refund, we indicated that the shirt was finally in production and that you would have it soon.  We never heard back from you regarding a refund or if you were satisfied / unsatisfied with the shirt once it was actually received.


A week back, in response to your post above, I personally extended you an offer to either refund your order or to offer you another shirt to replace the original.  We received no response to either. 


We really tried hard from the get go to make this work but for the reasons noted above it just didn't. 

-Vinnie

this sort of the situation is why I will never start up an online MTM shirt business.
I know that some posters here believe that their MTM shirts fit really well.
I have seen some of those examples walk through my door. usually they do not fit fit well.

Vinne.. what are you buying from Egypt?
Egyptian cotton is grown in Egypt.. not woven there.
Fabric woven in China is very hit or miss.
Fabric woven in "Italy" may be woven somewhere else.
good luck There are nice shirts coming out of HK.
post #25 of 29
Just a quick review for anyone considering Deo Veritas. I usually order from ProperCloth or my bespoke tailor in Hong Kong which I usually get to make my suits, both of which I'm happy with. However, I decided to try Deo Veritas after reading about unfused collars.
 
Firstly, the shirt arrived with some measurements .75 inches off what I specified.
 
As for the standard of construction, the stitching is very rough at about 13 stitches per inch and in many places not straight and not aligned to the pattern of the fabric. Fine dress shirts are usually stitched at 18-20 stitches per inch. Some reviewers claimed that they match the patterns of the fabric well, but on my shirts neither the cuffs nor the yoke match the pattern of the sleeves.
 
In addition, they are slow - 29 days from the date I placed my order to the date the order was despatched. This doesn't include the time it was in transit with the courier.
 
For $140 you can have shirt made to a much higher standard by storefront tailors like Proper Cloth or in Hong Kong, e.g.. at Lord's. Those tailors also offer a better selection of fabrics, in my opinion.
 
Update: I was contacted by someone from Deo Veritas offering to fix the problems with my shirts and do the order again for free. They also explained that they are not a bespoke tailor, but that they spend a lot of time on each order to try to get the right fit for the customer and take into account any special requests. So on the customer service side, quite good in my opinion. If you don't have a prior relationship with a bespoke tailor or you haven't perfected your fit with other online shirt-makers, their offering may work well for you. The quality will be much better than off-the-rack shirts, in any case.

Edited by Deebee - 8/25/13 at 1:20am
post #26 of 29

Further to the above, an example of their wonky stitching at 13 stitches per inch. For comparison, the darker material at the top is the cuff of a shirt by Lord's, stitched at around 18 SPI.

Full size: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7176/45vr.jpg

 

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi27 View Post
 

I tried Deo Veritas a few years back, when I was testing out different MTM shirtmakers. They made me 2 very well-fitting shirts that I still wear now, but when I placed another order it got delayed for many weeks past the expected delivery/order lead time, and my multiple inquiries were met with BS about how "it's been shipped and is on the way". I got fed up, got my refund, and they've lost my business since then.

 

It's really too bad because they made me good shirts that last a long time and were worth the $$. I also had some fairly terrible experiences with other MTM shirtmakers like NiAlma, where seams on their shirts started bursting after a few washes.

 

Following up on my comment from several weeks ago -- I was contacted by Vinnie at Deo Veritas about my order. He explained that they had some logistical issues with delivery a few years back, but have now greatly improved on their delivery times. I placed another order with them and this time it came after just a little over 2 weeks -- superb customer service from Vinnie.

 

I find it a bit odd that they're not very well-known as a MTM shirtmaker here on SF, as they seem to be quite popular on askandyaboutclothes.

post #28 of 29

frontplacket.JPG 2,552k .JPG file cuff.JPG 2,192k .JPG file collar.JPG 1,817k .JPG file

 

my bad; meant to post to this thread, so my apology for any confusion in creating a stand-alone post on this same subject...

 

ok, let me preface that this is my second posting...guess i enjoy listening (aka reading at these forums) more than speaking (aka posting).  i'm not folksy, nor was my one and only posting last summer anything other than experience, something i believe what makes these forums so useful.  

 

i posses in excess of fifteen (some at the cleaners, so don't want to mislead anyone on an exact number).  all have been paid for with personal funds in u. s. dollars.  one had a construction/workmanship issue, of which a replacement shirt was provided by the company.

 

there is a posting about thread counts.  attached are three pics from one of my most recent dv shirts; collar, cuff, and fly-front shirt placket. 

 

btw, i should note that if you cannot see these pics, all my dv shirts are consistent with the three measurements taken for this posting (collar, cuff, and fly-front placket).   while my collar and cuff choices are quite varied, the fly-front placket is my 'default' for all of my deo veritas shirts.  hopefully, this conveys the consistency in stitch count i've encountered throughout my various orders, which is 16 stitches per inch.  


Edited by 73rebzcar - 1/14/14 at 5:38pm
post #29 of 29

I agree! They suck! I ordered a shirt Dec 6th and still no shirt! Save your money! They claim they are shipping me a shirt this week and upgraded my shirt to a more expensive one. However, the last email said they were confused about the original measurements and they would repair my sleeves. Repair? What shady jerks. Save your money and headaches and go to a Tailor.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Deo Veritas MTM Shirts