or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Which car would you lease for 3 years?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which car would you lease for 3 years? - Page 5

Poll Results: Which car would you lease for 3 years as a short term option before upgrading?

 
  • 25% (18)
    BMW 3 series
  • 12% (9)
    BMW 5 series
  • 32% (23)
    Audi A5
  • 8% (6)
    Mercedes C-class coupe
  • 4% (3)
    Mercedes E-class coupe
  • 15% (11)
    Other
70 Total Votes  
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

The E93 deals were a .00081 money factor (w/ multiple security deposits) and 64% residual and zero money down combined with pricing at European Delivery invoice. MSRP at 72k. This yielded payments in the low 500s for 36/10K. The MSD option is unique in the industry as far as I know and combine with European Delivery (not sure why anyone would not do ED) to make BMW lease deals significantly more attractive than the competition.
Caveats:
- BMW holds 5K of your money for three years. If 5K is a cash flow problem for someone then probably not a good time to buy a 50K+ car.
- Willing to take a week vacation to Germany and drive your car on the Autobahn and perhaps Nürburgring nod[1].gif
- Have to wait for return shipping. This is the one negative. I was lucky enough to get my car in three weeks but others have waited two months. BMW covers the lease payment where you don't have your car.


^^Truthiness^^

People seem to be missing that what made that deal possible was the incredible residual of 64% and of course buying the MF down. It was a magical combo that seems to happen for one BMW model every year; last year it was the M3 convertible. IIRC for 2010 it was either the 740 or 750 that had some ridiculous deal for part of the year.

Seriously, go to www.bimmerfest.com and read up. BMW is one of the few brands where it actually makes some sense to lease.
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtS90 View Post

I can flip burgers full time, live at home for free, and drive a new M3!

Why do I suddenly feel like I have been doing it wrong. happy.gif
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqpablon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

The E93 deals were a .00081 money factor (w/ multiple security deposits) and 64% residual and zero money down combined with pricing at European Delivery invoice. MSRP at 72k. This yielded payments in the low 500s for 36/10K. The MSD option is unique in the industry as far as I know and combine with European Delivery (not sure why anyone would not do ED) to make BMW lease deals significantly more attractive than the competition.
Caveats:
- BMW holds 5K of your money for three years. If 5K is a cash flow problem for someone then probably not a good time to buy a 50K+ car.
- Willing to take a week vacation to Germany and drive your car on the Autobahn and perhaps Nürburgring nod[1].gif
- Have to wait for return shipping. This is the one negative. I was lucky enough to get my car in three weeks but others have waited two months. BMW covers the lease payment where you don't have your car.


^^Truthiness^^

People seem to be missing that what made that deal possible was the incredible residual of 64% and of course buying the MF down. It was a magical combo that seems to happen for one BMW model every year; last year it was the M3 convertible. IIRC for 2010 it was either the 740 or 750 that had some ridiculous deal for part of the year.

Seriously, go to www.bimmerfest.com and read up. BMW is one of the few brands where it actually makes some sense to lease.

So returns lost on 5k goes to BMW, cost of trip to Germany....who pays for shipping? BMW I hope.

FYI, 75k car x .64 = 48k. user79 said it was a 75k car. So:

75k - 48k = 27k

Scroll up and you'll see:

$600 x 36 months = 21.6k

The math? She don't work.

Btw, got a 60% residual on my MB and only had to take a trip to my local dealer. smile.gif
post #64 of 76
^the difference is probably that he got the car for ED invoice plus a couple hundred bucks. $75k (or $72k? it's unclear) is MSRP.

i missed the height of the leasing incentives for my M3, but i wasn't going to lease anyway. however, BMW gave me 1.9% APR plus a loyalty incentive to buy mine. also gave me invoice + $600. given that i have money in an investment that returns me over 1.9% a year, my cost of borrowing is essentially negative. BMW really does make it easier than anyone else to get into their cars.
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So returns lost on 5k goes to BMW, cost of trip to Germany....who pays for shipping? BMW I hope.
FYI, 75k car x .64 = 48k. user79 said it was a 75k car. So:
75k - 48k = 27k
Scroll up and you'll see:
$600 x 36 months = 21.6k
The math? She don't work.
Btw, got a 60% residual on my MB and only had to take a trip to my local dealer. smile.gif

See my previous post where I talk about ED invoice. On a 75K car ED invoice would be 64K. Residual is calculated at US MSRP. BMW also offers 1.5K off twice a year. That's a cap cost of 62.5K plus applicable fees (ED leases do not include MACO/training/doc fees that USA leases incur) so let's assume a cap of 64K for simplicity. With a MF of .00081 that's $535/mo plus taxes.

$19260. cheers.gif

The ED experience is very well done. The BMW Welt is an incredible building and the museum and factory are next door. You have access to a private lounge which is stocked with complimentary quality food and drinks. If you like sausage, beer, and Apollinaris you'll be happy. BMW covers shipping, insurance, free parking at the Welt, factory & museum tours, and a free meal at the Welt restaurant and a bunch of free swag including a CNC engraved M keychain (I love free shit). It was a first class experience through and through and unlike nearly any other luxury experience I can think of I saved thousands of dollars in the process. Thanks to the Bimmerfest forums for all the info -- even used the Priceline tip to stay at the 4 star Renaissance in Munich for 66 USD a night.

What do you mean by "returns lost on 5K goes to BMW?"
Edited by username79 - 4/28/12 at 6:25am
post #66 of 76
There are some strings but not a bad deal then.

The 5k thing is you could have been getting some return on it for five years. Not a big number, heaven knows, but still a fairly quantifiable amount.

As I've said though, I always get about a 60% residual at my local MB dealership, and that's for 15k a year.
post #67 of 76
I am thinking to lease an a4 / a5 later this year as a daily driver.
in the same price range, I can get probably an STi leased for less.
Just the debate between being 16 again or being mature and drive a slower car
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

I am thinking to lease an a4 / a5 later this year as a daily driver.
in the same price range, I can get probably an STi leased for less.
Just the debate between being 16 again or being mature and drive a slower car

Why not get a 135i in the same price range and be mature with a faster car?
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

Why not get a 135i in the same price range and be mature with a faster car?

i cant lease 135i if i get options i want for the price i wanna pay ($400 or less with only fees down)
ie. cameras, navi, parking sensors, sound system, heated seats etc
it'll be a 128i and thats FAIL
and i need to have awd b/c i need to go to boston for school censored.gif
Edited by junior varsity - 4/30/12 at 9:04pm
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

i cant lease 135i if i get options i want for the price i wanna pay ($400 or less with only fees down)
ie. cameras, navi, parking sensors, sound system, heated seats etc
it'll be a 128i and thats FAIL
and i need to have awd b/c i need to go to boston for school censored.gif

In that case I think the STi hatchback is an awesome car. I would definitely take one over the A4/A5 especially if you'd only be choosing the A4/A5 for the image. 200hp in the A5 is really uninspiring.

'Being 16 again' is all in how you drive it though I do think the STi has grown up a lot. I see a lot more young guys coming home from work in suit and tie in STIs than in Evos.
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post

In that case I think the STi hatchback is an awesome car. I would definitely take one over the A4/A5 especially if you'd only be choosing the A4/A5 for the image. 200hp in the A5 is really uninspiring.
'Being 16 again' is all in how you drive it though I do think the STi has grown up a lot. I see a lot more young guys coming home from work in suit and tie in STIs than in Evos.

yah but a5 looks 10x better than a sti/evo lol
post #72 of 76
Cheaper to insure at least in my age group for my area. So A5 would gladly be my choice if I had the funds. But I imagine a CPO S5 would be priced close to a new A5?
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtS90 View Post

Cheaper to insure at least in my age group for my area. So A5 would gladly be my choice if I had the funds. But I imagine a CPO S5 would be priced close to a new A5?

you cant lease a CPO without getting put in the ass by unfriendly rates
i wouldnt get an s5 - the v8 has been there for a million years and its not the most efficient engine in the world.
i want to get the a5 b/c the 2.0t gets DECENT (at least) mpg for the daily commute
and audis are extremely safe and practical with awd
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post

you cant lease a CPO without getting put in the ass by unfriendly rates
i wouldnt get an s5 - the v8 has been there for a million years and its not the most efficient engine in the world.
i want to get the a5 b/c the 2.0t gets DECENT (at least) mpg for the daily commute
and audis are extremely safe and practical with awd

You will, of course, need the right tires as well.
post #75 of 76
+1, RWD with proper snow tires will out-perform AWD with all season tires.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Which car would you lease for 3 years?