or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion - Page 18

post #256 of 1164
Rather draconian...

I think they should have a lower-friction surface for the first ten feet off the track, then start the paved run-off. There would be a consequence of lost time, but no real increase in mortal peril.
post #257 of 1164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Rather draconian...
I think they should have a lower-friction surface for the first ten feet off the track, then start the paved run-off. There would be a consequence of lost time, but no real increase in mortal peril.

And a trip thru a gravel trap wasnt?
post #258 of 1164
The problem with gravel traps is that they work inconsistently and fail to prevent the biggest accidents anyway. Cars at high speed just skip over top of them and in the rain they seem much less effective.
post #259 of 1164
A car-width strip of grass between track and asphalt run off is all that is needed.
post #260 of 1164
Finally, despite McLaren's attempt to blow it with another slow stop. I bet Raikonnen is ruing his relatively poor quali. If he'd started where Grosjean did, he might have won.
post #261 of 1164
Thread Starter 
Yup, it was a fairly dominant performance. Raikonnen was equal to the McLaren in race trip on lower fuel loads but the McLaren was the complete package all weekend.

Love seeing that bitch Alonso lower in the order. Didnt expect this circuit to suit the McLaren, I thought this was a Red Bull weekend.

Nice to see Maldonado fairly penalized. By the way, has the ever been a weaker driver in F1 than Narain Karthikeyan? He's like a anchor on ever timesheet.
post #262 of 1164
How long have you been following F1? There were a ton of Minardi drivers pre-107% rule who make Karthikeyan look like a genius. As far as I'm concerned, if they can qualify within 107% of the fastest guy, then they deserve a modicum of respect. No more than that, but at least that.

I'd love to see F1 get rid of the requirement that every team participate in every race. I loved the concept of pre-qualifying.
post #263 of 1164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

How long have you been following F1? There were a ton of Minardi drivers pre-107% rule who make Karthikeyan look like a genius. As far as I'm concerned, if they can qualify within 107% of the fastest guy, then they deserve a modicum of respect. No more than that, but at least that.
I'd love to see F1 get rid of the requirement that every team participate in every race. I loved the concept of pre-qualifying.

I've been watching since the mid-80's. I wasnt going back that far but ya, there were some serious 3 legged dogs back then. I guess I mean in the last decade. If I were to dive back before 2000, though, I can only come up with names that were equally bad. Karthikeyan is so bad even the INDIAN TEAM, FORCE INDIA wont bother with him, ffs. He cant even out qualify old man river De La Rosa.

Pre qualifying allowed for more teams on the grid but the sport it just too expensive to lug all that shit around the world and not even race.
post #264 of 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Yup, it was a fairly dominant performance. Raikonnen was equal to the McLaren in race trip on lower fuel loads but the McLaren was the complete package all weekend.
Love seeing that bitch Alonso lower in the order. Didnt expect this circuit to suit the McLaren, I thought this was a Red Bull weekend.
Nice to see Maldonado fairly penalized. By the way, has the ever been a weaker driver in F1 than Narain Karthikeyan? He's like a anchor on ever timesheet.

HRT knows the only way they'll get a championship point is if the field retires.
Tough way to wake up in the morning.

Saying that, you guys remember when Senna was racing for Toleman? Horrible team, but he made the difference.

I always wonder how Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso etc. would do racing for a team like HRT.
post #265 of 1164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress View Post

HRT knows the only way they'll get a championship point is if the field retires.
Tough way to wake up in the morning.
Saying that, you guys remember when Senna was racing for Toleman? Horrible team, but he made the difference.
I always wonder how Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso etc. would do racing for a team like HRT.

It was before my time, but that Senna documentary chronicled his insane performance at Monaco in the rain for Toelman. Most believe that Donnington '93 was his best race, this was a much more incredible performance.





You can actually see the entire race here:

post #266 of 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

How long have you been following F1? There were a ton of Minardi drivers pre-107% rule who make Karthikeyan look like a genius. As far as I'm concerned, if they can qualify within 107% of the fastest guy, then they deserve a modicum of respect. No more than that, but at least that.
I'd love to see F1 get rid of the requirement that every team participate in every race. I loved the concept of pre-qualifying.

Pre-qualifying only existed because there were too many cars and too few grid slots. As the number of teams/cars declined the need to pre-qualifying also declined.

Re Karthikeyan - I actually think he's a decent driver. The caliber of drivers these days is incredible. Surely, he no Alonso or even Massa but I don't think he's shitty. De La Rosa is quite good as well just nothing special.

Anyway, good Hungary GP. Not a ton of overtakes but great battle between Kimi and Hamilton. The rest of the season should be incredible.
post #267 of 1164
The long wait for SPA.
My absolute favorite track.

I thought I remembered something fishy with the DRS last year, and sure enough:
"The FIA banned the use of DRS through the Eau Rouge corner, since drivers had raised safety concerns similar to those held at Monaco. The overtaking aid was not permitted between the entrance to the La Source hairpin and the top of the hill after Eau Rouge. The DRS zone for the race was from Raidillon, along the Kemmel Straight until Les Combes."

I don't know about you, but I want to see some extremely dangerous overtaking via Eau Rouge!

Also, Pirelli have decided to run the hard compound in the next few races... Good for McLaren IMO.
post #268 of 1164
^^ Spa! That overtake move Webber pulled on Alonso last year, mind blowing.
post #269 of 1164
luca badoer > or < karthikeyan ? wink.gif

haven't been here in awhile! Been catching up on my races....and in doing so, I caught a glimpse of the Sartorialist on pitlane!
photo.jpg


I'm a HUGE Hamilton fan and was def happy with his win! Wasn't easy though. I feel the team's strategy for Button could have been abit better, regardless, I think he is in better form now.

Also very happy for a great finish for Senna! Glad he was out performing his douchey teammate. I just really do not like Maldonado....surprised the driver's haven't got together to talk to him about his on-track antics.
post #270 of 1164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianGP View Post

luca badoer > or < karthikeyan ? wink.gif

Would take Badoer.

While the level of driving is much better at the moment, its ridiculous how much slower Karthikeyan is than everyone. He's a pay driver. Tata Motors pays his salary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion